anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trevor View Post
    We get that...the point is not participating in risky behaviour ...wipe out and you need the hospital...no one want that. I rode yesterday by myself just in my hood.
    Uh, Trevor, you do know where most accidents occur, right?
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
      Uh, Trevor, you do know where most accidents occur, right?
      of course they do... it’s because you ride near your neighbourhood ...gotta leave your house and come home to it. So it would make sense that that’s where most accidents occur. Nobody ever says that though when they talk about accidents close to home...it’s always because “you get lazy”..not the whole story imo.
      No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
        of course they do... it’s because you ride near your neighbourhood ...gotta leave your house and come home to it. So it would make sense that that’s where most accidents occur. Nobody ever says that though when they talk about accidents close to home...it’s always because “you get lazy”..not the whole story imo.
        Too right, brother.
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyL View Post
          My son and I went for a ride yesterday. It was 61 degrees and sunny. Absolutely beautiful day! Sorry, didn't get any pics.

I'm curious, and I'm sorry if someone has asked this question, Indiana has a "shelter in place" order and I'm wondering if we are even allowed to go for a ride on a motorcycle or are you only allowed to be on the roads for essential work or essential errands? I don't see the harm in going for a motorcycle ride because it maintains the social distancing concept, but I do understand if they don't want unnecessary travel on the roads to cut down on first responder incidents or hospital requirements due to accidents etc. What are your thoughts on this? I can't seem to find in writing anywhere that motorcycle rides aren't allowed specifically in Indiana.

I read the Indiana order in detail and motorcycling is not mentioned. It does mention that outdoor activity is encouraged as long as you maintain social distancing, and it did specifically mention bicycling is fine.

There is something to the idea that you don't want to occupy emergency services if you have an accident. However, I've been hit by cars twice while bicycling and twice while motorcycling; there's an element of risk to anything you do. Heck, if you lie in bed long enough with the covers over your head, you're going to need an ambulance sooner or later. So if you manage risks, I don't think motorcycling is necessarily "selfish", or outside the scope of prudence.

And if you think through the practical side of things, the cops aren't pulling people over at random and there aren't checkpoints where they're checking your papers; there aren't any "papers" to check, and there aren't enough cops to do this anyway.

So yeah, I went for a nice little ride yesterday. I did stop by a grocery store to grab a few things I needed (I was on my V-Strom, which has hard bags; that's how I normally do my grocery shopping most of the year), so I suppose I'd at least have an excuse if questioned by jackbooted thugs. I didn't see any jackbooted thugs, and the police I did see didn't give me a second glance.

So here's where I land on this. YMMV, of course; as mentioned some places do specifically mention motorcycling. But I don't think they care about the riding; they mostly need people to skip the gathering and socializing motorcyclists are prone to.

I think the following is compatible with the letter and spirit of the order, at least here in Indiana. YMMV, and I am not a lawyer, only a reasonably competent human being with a decent level of reading comprehension. Heck, this might get me tasered or ticketed.

- Riding for allowed purposes ("essential" work, groceries, etc.) is fine as long as risk factors are managed.

- If they intended to ban recreational motorcycle riding hereabouts, they would have done so; the Indiana order is ten pages and it is quite thorough in every other respect. The do mention that bicycling is OK, and motorcycling does have some things in common with that.

- Recreational day rides are perfectly compatible with the concepts of social distancing and limiting virus transmission. You'll need to work out ahead of time how you're going to clean your hands during and after gas stops, and be prepared for closed bathrooms. (With pay-at-the-pump, pee-in-the-woods, and carry-your-own-drinks-and-snacks, you could go quite some time without getting anywhere near any other humans ...)

- No groups or pals or gatherings. In JohnnyL's case, he and his son are in the same household already, so it's perfectly fine for them to be near one another. And it's a nice bit of added safety.

- Dry and sunny only. You obviously want to manage risk to the highest degree possible to avoid occupying EMS, so for the duration I won't ride if there are additional risk factors like rain or darkness. On the plus side, there's a lot less traffic, which is the main hazard to motorcyclists.

- I also limit the distance. If I'm a carrier, I don't want to spread this to some tiny town in southern Indiana. A normal day ride for me is 300-450 miles total, but for the time being I'm limiting my rides to a fairly small radius of 25 miles or so.

- Manage risks more conservatively than usual, if possible.

- Spend some extra time ensuring your machine is mechanically in perfect condition.

- Think about how you might manage things if you have a breakdown. Limiting ride distance is part of this.

- ATGATT, of course. But that goes without saying any time.

- I haven't heard of nor do I expect to hear of any targeted enforcement, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to have an excuse at hand... a backpack or bags with which to carry groceries.

- I'll also point out that there is also increased risk in NOT riding; skills deteriorate over time. Here in Indy, the climate is such that we usually get some just-warm-enough days in every month and I make a point of getting out for rides to maintain skills; still, it takes some time every spring to get sharp again.
          Last edited by bwringer; 03-27-2020, 11:24 AM.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            I read the Indiana order in detail and motorcycling is not mentioned. It does mentioned that outdoor activity is encouraged as long as you maintain social distancing, and it did specifically mention bicycling is fine.

There is something to the idea that you don't want to occupy emergency services if you have an accident. However, I've been hit by cars twice while bicycling and twice while motorcycling; there's an element of risk to anything you do. Heck, if you lie in bed long enough with the covers over your head, you're going to need an ambulance sooner or later. So if you manage risks, I don't think motorcycling is necessarily "selfish", or outside the scope of prudence.

And if you think through the practical side of things, the cops aren't pulling people over at random and there aren't checkpoints where they're checking your papers; there aren't any "papers" to check, and there aren't enough cops to do this anyway.

So yeah, I went for a nice little ride yesterday. I did stop by a grocery store to grab a few things I needed (I was on my V-Strom, which has hard bags; that's how I normally do my grocery shopping most of the year), so I suppose I'd at least have an excuse if questioned by jackbooted thugs. I didn't see any jackbooted thugs, and the police I did see didn't give me a second glance.

So here's where I land on this. YMMV, of course; as mentioned some places do specifically mention motorcycling. But I don't think they care about the riding; they mostly need people to skip the gathering and socializing motorcyclists are prone to.

I think the following is compatible with the letter and spirit of the order, at least here in Indiana. YMMV, and I am not a lawyer, only a reasonably competent human being with a decent level of reading comprehension. Heck, this might get me tasered or ticketed.

- Riding for allowed purposes ("essential" work, groceries, etc.) is fine as long as risk factors are managed.

- If they intended to ban recreational motorcycle riding hereabouts, they would have done so; the Indiana order is ten pages and it is quite thorough in every other respect. The do mention that bicycling is OK, and motorcycling does have some things in common with that.

- Recreational day rides are perfectly compatible with the concepts of social distancing and limiting virus transmission. You'll need to work out ahead of time how you're going to clean your hands during and after gas stops, and be prepared for closed bathrooms. (With pay-at-the-pump, pee-in-the-woods, and carry-your-own-drinks-and-snacks, you could go quite some time without getting anywhere near any other humans ...)

- No groups or pals or gatherings. In JohnnyL's case, he and his son are in the same household already, so it's perfectly fine for them to be near one another. And it's a nice bit of added safety.

- Dry and sunny only. You obviously want to manage risk to the highest degree possible to avoid occupying EMS, so for the duration I won't ride if there are additional risk factors like rain or darkness. On the plus side, there's a lot less traffic, which is the main hazard to motorcyclists.

- I also limit the distance. If I'm a carrier, I don't want to spread this to some tiny town in southern Indiana. A normal day ride for me is 300-450 miles total, but for the time being I'm limiting my rides to a fairly small radius of 25 miles or so.

- Spend some extra time ensuring your machine is mechanically in perfect condition.

- Think about how you might manage things if you have a breakdown. Limiting ride distance is part of this.

- I haven't heard of nor do I expect to hear of any targeted enforcement, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to have an excuse at hand... a backpack or bags with which to carry groceries.

- I'll also point out that there is also increased risk in NOT riding; skills deteriorate over time. Here in Indy, the climate is such that we usually get some just-warm-enough days in every month and I make a point of getting out for rides to maintain skills; still, it takes some time every spring to get sharp again.
            I would agree with Brian on pretty much every point he made. Michigan is also under a lockdown, with the following exceptions (per the Governor's order):

a) Individuals may leave their home or place of residence, and travel as necessary:
            1. To engage in outdoor activity, including walking, hiking, running, cycling, or any other recreational activity consistent with remaining at least six feet from people from outside the individual’s household.
            2. To perform tasks that are necessary to their health and safety, or to the health and safety of their family or household members (including pets). Individuals may, for example, leave the home or place of residence to secure medication or to seek medical or dental care that is necessary to address a medical emergency or to preserve the health and safety of a household or family member (including procedures that, in accordance with a duly implemented nonessential procedures postponement plan, have not been postponed).
            3. To obtain necessary services or supplies for themselves, their family or household members, and their vehicles. Individuals must secure such services or supplies via delivery to the maximum extent possible. As needed, however, individuals may leave the home or place of residence to purchase groceries, take-out food, gasoline, needed medical supplies, and any other products necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation, and basic operation of their residences.

That would seem to leave a LOT of wiggle room to justify a ride on a motorcycle or a drive in a car (even if it is only for the purposes of recreation). It's hard to imagine any law enforcement officer pulling over someone who is otherwise obeying the directive to "social distance" for enjoying a nice motorcycle ride.

Just my 2 cents.

SK

Comment

I distanced myself (socially of course) from a Harley guy that thought he could run with the FJ yesterday, does that count? I took a vacation day from work and went for a 275 mile ride into the Allegheny forest area. I did stop for fuel once, using my ATM card I didn't have to remove my helmet or gloves. I packed a sandwich and drinks, I had a nice picnic all to myself. Very limited traffic and no school buses, it was a beautiful day for motorcycling in Northwest Pennsylvania. 🌞
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I did.........................

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  I read the Indiana order in detail and motorcycling is not mentioned. It does mention that outdoor activity is encouraged as long as you maintain social distancing, and it did specifically mention bicycling is fine.

Written as it drizzles outside: BRAVO, sir. You have hit it directly on the head.

Something to be taken more seriously as this crisis extends is finding healthy ways to stave off boredom and depression due to isolation. Few things done solo top a motorcycle ride.
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                    Few things done solo top a motorcycle ride.

oh I dunno. G/f is seriously social distancing right now.
                    1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Originally posted by ptegsotic View Post

oh I dunno. G/f is seriously social distancing right now.
                      Time for a new girlfriend. I'd never want one whose absence made my heart grow fonder.
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

A good article on this topic of distancing on a MC.
                        With regard to not coming in contact with anyone, this seems to be a better solution then even going to a store of any kind, for that mental moment of cleansing a ride provides.
                        Won't go into detail about a certain former AMA multi winner current legal troubles.
                        As the world deals with the COVID-19 pandemic, motorcycling can be effective social distancing while supporting the powersports industry in a tough time.
                        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                          A good article on this topic of distancing on a MC.
                          With regard to not coming in contact with anyone, this seems to be a better solution then even going to a store of any kind, for that mental moment of cleansing a ride provides.
                          Won't go into detail about a certain former AMA multi winner current legal troubles.
                          https://www.roadracingworld.com/news...this-together/
                          Next article: Who would like to trade their superbike track days, for flat track bike bike days?
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

The T120 keeps ticking, +350 miles today. Over 1000 miles this week.
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                            Originally posted by Hayabuser
                            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

A quick 75 mile ride north to Ludlow falls after the severe thunderstorms we received last night meant I also got to deal with 25+ mph winds. There's a lot of water and mud in that river

Ludlow Falls from Side by Scott Baker, on Flickr
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Took a 40 mile spin out to Saguaro Lake. Sheriff had every rec area closed, so I swung in at the dam for a quick photo.
                                EE09AC14-DDBD-4FCE-8EBF-6E083C1CBCC7.jpg
                                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                                1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                                X