No announcement yet.

anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe spray it with some ACF-50 a couple times a month after washing it down?

Lear Chemical Research developing and compounding anti corrosion lubricants and greases, ACF-50, Corrosion Block, Corrosion Block Grease, Rust Block, effectively solving corrosion related problems in the Automotive, Aviation, Industrial, Marine, Motorcycle and Recreational industries.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
      Maybe spray it with some ACF-50 a couple times a month after washing it down?

https://learchem.com/products/acf-50.html
      That seems interessting. Not sure how much salt is on the roads now though, at times its cold enough for salt and today it was snowing... They don't salt with clear dry roads (unless snow is expected).
      GS1000G 1981

Comment

Any tips on washing it properly?
        mmm. Not my strongpoint either but I make attempts to control it as I see it eating my bikes... warm water and maybe a dash of hair shampoo (it's gentle- avoid powdered detergents!) is a good start. No to your high pressure hose though, although an AIR hose might help to dry.... A 20 litre fertilizer/pesticide hand-pumped sprayer works gently and the nozzle gets it in the crevices. I fill it with warm water and use it because my water is shut off outside in winter.
        A heated garage would help a lot too!

places to watch: rinse twice! Inside that chrome fender! It wouldn't hurt to take it off and repaint inside it with something tough or sacrificial because they are VERY vulnerable to rusting out from the back..., the swingarm gets the paint beat off quickly, and underneath where the exhaust crossover pipe is ...these are especially hard to keep paint on. I wish it was stainless...
        Any vehicle ahead of you is throwing a cloud of salt of course so that gets everywhere.

I've tried barrier coats of magic oils and waxy coatings but haven't found any that work for me. Maybe they even trap salt. Not as good as axle grease smeared on in any test I've done and one wonders why and Nothing sticks better than an oil leak at the valve cover or the chain oil thrown off mixed with dirt. Someone should market this stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
          mmm. Not my strongpoint either but I make attempts to control it as I see it eating my bikes... warm water and maybe a dash of hair shampoo (it's gentle- avoid powdered detergents!) is a good start. No to your high pressure hose though, although an AIR hose might help to dry.... A 20 litre fertilizer/pesticide hand-pumped sprayer works gently and the nozzle gets it in the crevices. I fill it with warm water and use it because my water is shut off outside in winter.
          A heated garage would help a lot too!

places to watch: rinse twice! Inside that chrome fender! It wouldn't hurt to take it off and repaint inside it with something tough or sacrificial because they are VERY vulnerable to rusting out from the back..., the swingarm gets the paint beat off quickly, and underneath where the exhaust crossover pipe is ...these are especially hard to keep paint on. I wish it was stainless...
          Any vehicle ahead of you is throwing a cloud of salt of course so that gets everywhere.

I've tried barrier coats of magic oils and waxy coatings but haven't found any that work for me. Maybe they even trap salt. Not as good as axle grease smeared on in any test I've done and one wonders why and Nothing sticks better than an oil leak at the valve cover or the chain oil thrown off mixed with dirt. Someone should market this stuff!
          I have never experienced a vehicle detergent that is powder, maybe an american thing?

We aren't a mechanic shop, so no air (but I am sure I can get adequate airflow by just riding it like I stole it...). But the garage itself it the garage of a shop (we rent some space from the Volvo dealership, but we don't really do much mechanic stuff apart from light stuff).

My bike doesn't have a chain though. I find it hard to clean of even the dirt with a hose without pressure. I have aluminum safe degreaser, but I thin I might have to use pressure.
          GS1000G 1981

Comment

Went for a little 40 mile spin today. Tortilla Flat is a great little jaunt. It sucks when you get traffic jammed up on the road due to a chicken driver, and on the way back today, an idiot on some ratty CBR that has seen more mileage on its side than its tires was pvssyfooting it around corners like a kid who just got his first tricycle. A line of half a dozen cars was stuck behind the *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$, who, as soon as the road was straight lit out at 100+, passing over the double yellow several times before he was gone. I wish that sort of rider would just go over the cliffs so the rest of us can enjoy a good ride.

About to go get groceries and then some beer and barbecue.

0B3B884F-D200-4B94-844D-21B093FCF143.jpg
            Last edited by GS1150Pilot; 04-25-2020, 05:55 PM.
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Went for a little 40 mile spin today. Tortilla Flat is a great little jaunt. It sucks when you get traffic jammed up on the road due to a chicken driver, and on the way back today, an idiot on some ratty CBR that has seen more mileage on its side than its tires was pvssyfooting it around corners like a kid who just got his first tricycle. A line of half a dozen cars was stuck behind the *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$, who, as soon as the road was straight lit out at 100+, passing over the double yellow several times before he was gone. I wish that sort of rider would just go over the cliffs so the rest of us can enjoy a good ride.

About to go get groceries and then some beer and barbecue.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60819[/ATTACH]

That looks so nice and warm. Cool picture.

I feel like having really really strict drivers education here is good. Our test to get the licence requires doing track exercises and stuff. And there is a strong focus of not bothering other people (like, if you want to go slow, thats okay, but pull over and let the faster people pass).

Why is there double yellows there though? The visibility seems to be adequate for passing.
              GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                That looks so nice and warm. Cool picture.

I feel like having really really strict drivers education here is good. Our test to get the licence requires doing track exercises and stuff. And there is a strong focus of not bothering other people (like, if you want to go slow, thats okay, but pull over and let the faster people pass).

Why is there double yellows there though? The visibility seems to be adequate for passing.
                You'd have to see the rest of the road from there. It's about 15 miles of switchbacks and esses. No guardrails, 500' falls possible in places.
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post

That curve there does not allow for a good line of site to pass especially knowing the speed limit on that road is probably, and I'm assuming, at least 55 miles per hour
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The speed limit there is 25. It's headed out of the tiny town of Tortilla Flat and almost immediately begins a mountain ascent that has 15-20 mph twisties for the next 15 miles.
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

The speed limit there is 25. It's headed out of the tiny town of Tortilla Flat and almost immediately begins a mountain ascent that has 15-20 mph twisties for the next 15 miles.
                      True, I rode that same route at least a couple of times while I had my Honda there in January. Beautiful scenery for sure.
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                        True, I rode that same route at least a couple of times while I had my Honda there in January. Beautiful scenery for sure.
                        It's in my back yard, so-to-speak. I used to ride out there from the west valley, but now that it is a 45 minute bop with such amazing scenery, including Canyon Lake, it's a weekly jaunt.
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Brought a camera along just for one pic.
                          My track bike in street legal trim, way too F-fast for public roads. I was doing 70 through turns with those yellow 35 MPH signs.
                          My 1100G and CBR600 both have issues, so the 1127 was the only option.
                          Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 04-26-2020, 03:54 PM.
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I had one of those rides the other day.

V
                            Gustov
                            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                            80 GS 550 L
                            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Did the usual 65 mile loop clockwise today, late afternoon, staying mostly in 4-5th gear maintaining positive throttle, lowish rpm, except when braking.
                              Complained in the past about being bored with this loop, but it's actually it's quite good twisty bit.
                              Realized I know this road well, so in these times I can try different approaches to riding technique on all the corners I already know well.

One section has recent sloppy asphalt patch repair with marble like skat everywhere, no traction when leaving patched areas, so getting thru those areas clean
                              provided a new riding challenge. Twas a good "essential" ride for mental health.
                              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

One huge key to safety while riding fast is knowing your road, making sure about degraded pavement before committing to a deep lean, and eye discipline.
                                We can agree, riding on public roads is hardly closer than 50% of track riding.
                                Riding intensely on public roads is more fun and safer on a light weight lower powered bike, from my experience.
                                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                                X