No announcement yet.

anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I washed my bike today (it was a fairly lazy wash though), and went for a quick ride. I didnt have much time as the beginning of the day went for accident and first aid course (as a student this time) and the last half I had to work. But I had an hour inbetween, so I washed the bike (anti-grease, hose, washing spray, heated power hose, wipe of whatevers left). I didn't take any pictures though.

I struggle to get the exhaust clean, it has little black dots (on my car the de-greaser usually melts those sort of?), and its hard to get a good angle to clean the backside... The bottom part of the exhaust seems impossible to get clean too... The front of the engine and the exhaust headers (I think, the part after engine, before bend, lower half) is also challenging me. I do realize I have to get some brushes, and sponges and probably a better shampoo and a fresh "car towel" to dry it off, but cleaning a bike is so much harder than a car. Some places are harder to reach with the hose or pressure washer (back side of muffler for instance).

On my recent trip to Å I saw two guys with their wives roll up on some recent sport bikes (a Yamaha and a Honda, I do not know the exact model), and their bikes were spotless. There weren't even soot on the end of their exhaust. How do they do it? I have been watching turtorials and guides and have tried to read up, but the videos are usually of allready perfectly clean looking bikes... I realize I need to polish the paint and the chrome (or whatever it is), and polish/sand the aluminum covers (need to get rid of those hideous remains of its silver paint (black paint?) too). But it baffels me how a bike can be kept that clean...

If having a clean bike means I have to stop doing things like riding on muddy roads in the rain, I guess Ill pick the muddy roads though. I guess one option is to buy a second bike, and use that only on sunny days, when there is no dust/pollen or anything. But Im not sure how many days that would be... I asked the local car detailing place (the most serious one, Im afraid to leave my baby with the less serious ones), they wanted 450 NOK (about 45 dollars/pounds/euros) and didn't have time for a couple of weeks.

One of my students asked me today: "Is your bike the one you were riding the other day? Thats an old bike, right?" I love that it is so timeless that they get confused about the age.

I read some people use parafin to clean bikes, I think there is a bunch of parafin in the garage, so I could probably borrow a pint if that is what is needed.
    GS1000G 1981

Comment

This stuff, plus a good brush, a sponge and towels, works well:

Our award-winning biodegradable Nano Tech Motorcycle Cleaner is safe to use on any motorcycle and any surface. It's the industry's number one choice for motorcycle cleaner!
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
        This stuff, plus a good brush, a sponge and towels, works well:

https://muc-off.com/products/nano-te...rcycle-cleaner

I was prepared to be frustrated because Id gotten a suggestion for something I couldnt find here. But, this Ive actually seen at the sporting store. I will try that.

I wish there was a car wash for bikes like for cars, just drive in, wait and voila, cleanish car.
        GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
          On my recent trip to Å I saw two guys with their wives roll up on some recent sport bikes (a Yamaha and a Honda, I do not know the exact model), and their bikes were spotless. There weren't even soot on the end of their exhaust. How do they do it?
          They only ride in the summer.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Took my RF600R project out for its inaugural ride this evening... guess I'm going to need a new project now that this is ready. Hmm...

I owned one of these (in red) back in the day, loved it. It's a total nostalgia trip for me to ride one again! And for a vintage 600, it freaking rips!
            2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
            2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Good lookin' RF!
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Beautiful night in the hood tonight...first ride on my cooley since putting the Hindle on it from the other cooley I bought.
                A buddy is fixing some dents and pin holes in my Kerker...

No signature

Comment

Dave, the RF is beautiful.
                  The wide, "futuristic" tail got a lot of grief in the magazines when the 600/900 first came out. I have always liked the look.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Trev, do you like the sound of the Hindle?
                    I have heard it on a couple Honda CB-Fs and think it sounds great.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Great pics guys!
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                      Originally posted by Hayabuser
                      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                        What a whirlwind the last couple of days were. Traveled pretty far to get my new machine and took it out for 100 miles... What a monster... Love it!

Looks like I have some PMs to return.
                        Best,
                        "The VerMonster" I love it! Nice video, but I want to see Burnouts! Lol 🌞
                        Maybe we can switch bikes for a few miles sometime. 👍
                        My Motorcycles:
                        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                        79 1000e (all original)
                        82 850g (all original)
                        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                          Trev, do you like the sound of the Hindle?
                          I have heard it on a couple Honda CB-Fs and think it sounds great.
                          I do like it a lot. Good quality too and light...10lbs for the whole system. The receipt for the pipe was $800cdn...great value imo
                          No signature

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                            What a whirlwind the last couple of days were. Traveled pretty far to get my new machine and took it out for 100 miles... What a monster... Love it!

Looks like I have some PMs to return.
                            Best,
                            You asked for a name in the video. Mjolnir, obviously, cuz it hits like a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by B.C.G.S. View Post
                              You asked for a name in the video. Mjolnir, obviously, cuz it hits like a hammer.
                              Or Grond, which is a much more esoteric weapon from Tolkien (it was Morgoth's mace).
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                                Good lookin' RF!
                                Thanks!

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                                Dave, the RF is beautiful.
                                The wide, "futuristic" tail got a lot of grief in the magazines when the 600/900 first came out. I have always liked the look.
                                So have I. In 1994, I fell in love with the styling as it was on the cover of every magazine I picked up. Being a poor 24 year old at the time, I couldn't even dream of buying one so I made do with my sweaty old Yamaha Vision... eventually I got my RF600R and then an RF900R but they were replaced by newer, faster, flashier machines over the years... never stopped admiring the bikes though. Very happy to have one again.
                                2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                                2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X