anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
    Looking good Dave! How is the BMW treating you?
    Well, no catastrophic failures so far yet this year, but that is only a few rides, maybe 300 miles.
    No expensive service yet this year, but Am getting some indication of possibly needing a battery ($180-200 battery) ($200 labor if shop replaces it). There are irreconcilable difference between it and me.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
      I went for a ride today, I was going to see the sunset, but had a couple of hours to kill so I just rode around for a bit first.
      Enjoyed your pics and story.
      And noticed that the temps must just be only a little bit over freezing, and that fact was just so normal for you that didnt need to mention it.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        Enjoyed your pics and story.
        And noticed that the temps must just be only a little bit over freezing, and that fact was just so normal for you that didnt need to mention it.
        Today I went for a ride and it was over 50f!

Today is the 17th, which is the national day of Norway. We celebrate getting rid of the nazis. When WWII ended people rushed out in the streets and started waving flags and sining and generally celebrating our liberation from the germans. Since then we have been having parades, like marches of people and bands through cities. Due to the coronavirus and social distancing the parades this year were cancelled. But my city had three alternatives. You could do boat parade (I have no pictures of that, my bike doesn't float, presumably), an amcar parade and a motorcycle parade.

Picture of the amcar parade cars lining up. I don't think they were really gatekeeping that only american cars could join, I see a couple of other brands. More like a sunday-car parade. Or something. I like the lose requirements and come as you are sort of vibe, I feel it brings us back to the origin of our 17th of may celebrations.

Motorcyle parade lined up before leaving. I was planning on going in the back of the group (Im not really skilled at riding in formation, never done it before in such a large group). I felt like I ended up in the middle of a motorcycle clubs area, but its one of the chill ones (just bike loving dudes that like to socialice with like minded people). After the first quarter mile the checker formation got pretty solid, but the dude in front of me had a harley that was spotless and had to break formation to keep his bike dry. My honking button is not reliable (EDIT: We were hoking at the onlookers, not at eachother), at all, so I mostly stuck to waving at the onlookers.

Me in the parade. There are tons more bikes, but my wife says all bikes looks the same, so she had trouble picking me out... I should have gotten flags, but I didn't realize there would be a motorcycle parade until I woke up, acouple of hours before it begun. So I weren't able to aquire flags and attach them. Luckily my bike were fairly clean.
        GS1000G 1981

Comment

Lots of bikes in Norway! I expect you looked at or asked a few about the "best tire for Norway "?

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
            Lots of bikes in Norway! I expect you looked at or asked a few about the "best tire for Norway "?
            I did check out the tires and the equipment on some of them. But a lot of the bikes were of the "Harleys that has never seen rain"-variety (not that I mind that kind of biking, but Im not spending 3 hours polishing chrome or delaying a trip because of weather), I doubt they need tires for snow or mud. My main issue is that I want to be the first one to take my bike out in the spring and the last one to put it back in the fall. My tires are great if the roads aren't icy or have a lot of snow (seems to do fine in some snow though), and by the end of may we probably won't see any snow that stays on the road. Since most people only ride end of may to early fall, their requirements are a bit different.

I talked to some people, but tried to keep a responsible distance. The topic of snow tires didn't come up (great weather today).
            GS1000G 1981

Comment

I ride a Harley and just don't get the "wash it every ten minutes" madness. I see it all the time, but it seems to afflict those who are not really riders, but poseurs, who go out to be seen.
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Nor, Interesting. Good to hear of your countrys celebration, and that it included a motorcycle parade (maybe that is not typical).

Who ever set the pace and how they started from the parking lot would be important factors as to how the parade proceeded. The picture you provided of you/bike makes it look like it got real stretched out.

But explain "checker formation" and if that had anything to do with the harley rider not wanting to get bike dirty.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                  I ride a Harley and just don't get the "wash it every ten minutes" madness. I see it all the time, but it seems to afflict those who are not really riders, but poseurs, who go out to be seen.
                  I think people should pick their bikes and do what they want with them really. I am sure I could have just as fun an adventure on a CBR125 just as on my bike. I don't personally understand the wanting to clean a bike constantly, but I am sure it can be a tranquile relaxing experience for some. But I am shocked when I see a 4 year old bike, looking pristine, with like 2000 miles on it for sale... That seems like an expensive hobby, I think Id rather start a buisness washing bikes and make some cash. Maybe Ill get to know someone of the wash their harley every ten minutes crowd one day so I can ask what its about.

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  Nor, Interesting. Good to hear of your countrys celebration, and that it included a motorcycle parade (maybe that is not typical).

Who ever set the pace and how they started from the parking lot would be important factors as to how the parade proceeded. The picture you provided of you/bike makes it look like it got real stretched out.

But explain "checker formation" and if that had anything to do with the harley rider not wanting to get bike dirty.
                  It is not typical. Usually children and marching bands marchs, sing, play instruments and wave flags. Celebrating our constitution and freedom. I feel a bit bad for not having flags (I didnt realize there were a bike parade until a couple of hours before).

The ride was advertised as a slow ride, but we were going at least the speed limit where there were no spectators. There were no information (I don't have any idea who organized it), when I got it I just parked next to another bike. The start was sort of awkward, people sort of funneled into lanes (but the people next to me were nowhere near when we got out on the road). The stretching out on the picture might have been the fault of some way-too-eager-to-be-photographed-dude on a GS1000G not minding his speed . But we did behave like an accordian at times. Mostly though, I felt people were good at holding proper formation and keeping safe distances (were no overtaking, people kept their spots). It was a nice ride.

xoo
                  oox
                  xoo
                  oox

That is a checker formation (maybe it has a completely different name in english, sorry for that). X represents bikes, O represent empty space. It allowed lots of bikes to ride together with safe distances in all directions. I were in the left part of the lane, and the bike in front in the right. But if it was wet, or anything but perfect asphalt he'd move over into my space. Not a big deal at all, but a bit fascinating to watch. Like when a puddle came, he'd move over in front of me. I kept distance so it was all good though.
                  GS1000G 1981

Comment

Got out after lunch for a short 125 mile thrashing on the GS1000. Spent most of the time on the curvy backroads around the horse farms. Here is a pic of one of about 50 farms I must have ridden by this afternoon!
                    Ron
                    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Kentucky is beautiful.
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Jedz will laugh. I got a note from Harley reminding me about the Buy Back program for Sportster owners who trade in on a big twin. Since I'm laying out plans for a 1275 kit in the Sportster, I figured now would be a good time to take a peek. So I test rode a 2019 Low Rider. I managed to get out without signing away my soul, but I think I may trade this summer. Such a great motorcycle with that 107 and 6 speed, really nice suspension and solid brakes-and COMFORTABLE. My girlfriend is begging me to make the swap.
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

XOO
                          OOX
                          XOO

I call that "staggered ".
                          2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                          82 gs1100L probably the next project
                          1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                          1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Jedz will laugh. I got a note from Harley reminding me about the Buy Back program for Sportster owners who trade in on a big twin. Since I'm laying out plans for a 1275 kit in the Sportster, I figured now would be a good time to take a peek. So I test rode a 2019 Low Rider. I managed to get out without signing away my soul, but I think I may trade this summer. Such a great motorcycle with that 107 and 6 speed, really nice suspension and solid brakes-and COMFORTABLE. My girlfriend is begging me to make the swap.
                            I won't laugh! Although the Low Rider might be a very nice bike to ride especially 2 up. Nothing wrong with a cruiser! I'm sure you'll miss the Sporty though... They make great little one up rigs for those that enjoy them. As long as you have 1 Japanese bike in the heard I won't look down on ya .
                            Did you manage to get any pictures?
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                            Originally posted by Hayabuser
                            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                              I won't laugh! Although the Low Rider might be a very nice bike to ride especially 2 up. Nothing wrong with a cruiser! I'm sure you'll miss the Sporty though... They make great little one up rigs for those that enjoy them. As long as you have 1 Japanese bike in the heard I won't look down on ya .
                              Did you manage to get any pictures?
                              No, I deliberately avoided taking any so as not to make myself want it more. If I do take the deal, pictures will soon follow!
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

No, I deliberately avoided taking any so as not to make myself want it more. If I do take the deal, pictures will soon follow!
                                Yeah it's silly how often you start looking at the pics and "convince" yourself, yeah this is a good idea.
                                Jedz Moto
                                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                                2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X