1980 GS1000 E fork oil quantity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1000 E fork oil quantity

Did a search and I can not find any threads that have the for oil quantity for my 1980 GS1000 E. Can any one point me in the right direction. I just rebuilt my forks and replaced the steering stem bearings and I am anxious to get the bike back together.
    Thanks

8.5 oz... for the fork oil

Comment

http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/GS1000.pdf and http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...Supplement.pdf should have all the answers for you.Better to measure the level with no spring and the fork collapsed

Comment

Take the springs out, compress forks all way up and oil level from top of stantion to oil level is 140mm. Hope that helps.
        My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Hi,

You'll find manuals and "how to" guides on my little website. They should answer most of your questions.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the links. According to the second link I need to put 259ml in my forks. I don't use the oz's since I fill my forks up with a horse syringe that holds 100ml.

Comment

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
              Take the springs out, compress forks all way up and oil level from top of stantion to oil level is 140mm. Hope that helps.
              If i put the required amount of oil in my fork tube, it is no where near 140mm from the top of the tube, so which is the right way?
              Work by volume of iol, or work on the distance from the top?

Comment

Setting the level is the preferred method. The trick is to do it correctly. Do you have the fork tube fully compressed? That's critical, if you have the tube extended you'll end up with too much oil and a hydrolock condition as you approach full compression.
                If you have the stock springs in there I'd run the oil a bit higher, up around 110mm. With good aftermarket springs you can run less oil and make the overall rate more linear.
                '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I had the tubes compressed, and set it at 140 mm from the top. I fitted Sonic springs.
                  Its all back together now and they seem fine. Time will tell.
                  It will be another twelve months before it's all back together.

Comment

Sonic springs got back to me and recommended 125 mm from the fork top.
                    So many different recommendations?.

I will leave it as it is, with the spring damper set on the second click.
                    I am putting Nitrogen reservoir shock absorbers on the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by gdayjr View Post
                      Sonic springs got back to me and recommended 125 mm from the fork top.
                      So many different recommendations?.

I will leave it as it is, with the spring damper set on the second click.
                      I am putting Nitrogen reservoir shock absorbers on the rear.
                      It will be fine. Once you get below 120mm (bigger gap numbers) or so oil level's not very critical, as long as the damper rod is always fully covered. Above 120mm (smaller gap numbers), you start to really notice the air spring effect as the forks compress, and that effect becomes larger and more progressive as you increase the amount of oil. It also makes your overall spring rate more temperature sensitive.
                      All those effects are bad, which is why we try to let a steel spring in the proper rate do most of the work and keep the air component to a minimum.
                      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Working...
                      X