78 GS1000 side covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS1000 side covers

Been thinking on my options for the side covers on my 78 1000 project.As best I know they came from the factory in a matte finish.Thinking of doing them in a satin black or gloss to match the "skunk" paint I'm planning to put on.Opinions?
    Matte
    41.18%
    Gloss
    58.82%

The poll is expired.

I'm thinking gloss black, like this one.

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

If your build is a restoration, I think matte is the proper choice. If you are modding the bike significantly then choose what suites your eye.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Youll probably clean them and wax to keep the water stains down and make bugs easier to remove...which will make them shiney anyways, so why not just gloss them and go from there???
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          If your build is a restoration, I think matte is the proper choice. If you are modding the bike significantly then choose what suites your eye.
          I'm confused. That ad is the original ad in 1978. They sure look glossy to me ?? But I've never seen one up close.
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

Just my opinion based on Larry pointing out that the nice shiney tank and dull side covers REALLY clash. He was right, of course. You slap semi or matte on there and your gonna just rip them off and redo them.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
              I'm confused. That ad is the original ad in 1978. They sure look glossy to me ?? But I've never seen one up close.
              I think the "regular" base model had matte.
              I think the "E" had gloss.

1978 GS1000C
              1979 GS1000E
              1980 GS1000E
              2004 Roadstar

Comment

I like shiny :

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  Mine is an E with the original matte side covers.
                  I love em! I think the entire bike would look good to match.
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                  .................________-|___\____
                  ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    Youll probably clean them and wax to keep the water stains down and make bugs easier to remove...which will make them shiney anyways, so why not just gloss them and go from there???
                    Waxing the original matte side cover will not make em shiny. One of mine had pretty bad stains on em and I tried everything to clean em up, even wax. I think it may have beed battery spilage.
                    Ended up soaking the stained area with Goo Gone. Only thing that worked.
                    sigpic

82 GS850
                    78 GS1000
                    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                    .................________-|___\____
                    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Not really a restoration.Mostly stock with long Dunstalls in place of rusted out stockers I got from AZR.E forks and brakes from Chuck and Dale,thanks again guys.See the Skunk thread in my sig for more.

Just my opinion based on Larry pointing out that the nice shiney tank and dull side covers REALLY clash. He was right, of course. You slap semi or matte on there and your gonna just rip them off and redo them.
                      Might have a point but I'm not quite as sure.

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      Wondered about this but.........
                      Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                      I like shiny :

Daniel
                      A year changes things Daniel.I like shiny to.Trying to be sure what is stock then going from there.

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                      Mine is an E with the original matte side covers.
                      I love em! I think the entire bike would look good to match.
                      This is where my but came from.Oh I hate all matte bikes,just saying.

Comment

The bike that I posted is number 777 of the 1978 model year production.

Daniel

Comment

I like gloss carbon fiber side covers..

Maybe after the weather warms up.

Comment

What he said.
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                              The bike that I posted is number 777 of the 1978 model year production.

Daniel
                              That may be but the tank and tail are not 78 peices IIRC.Nothing wrong with it.

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                              What he said.
                              Mostly agree with Nessism.Not doing a exact resto,finding out what I want to do by asking others.

Comment

Working...
                              X