630 to 530 conversion HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

630 to 530 conversion HELP

I'm in the process of doing the chain an sprocket conversion from 630 to 530 on a 1978 gs1000e. I ordered the parts from z1 enterprises and they set me up with all I needed, I thought. Perhaps I have all I need, but I'm confused about the amount of space on the outside of the front sprocket.

The original front sprocket has some covers on both sides which take up the excess space on the shaft. But, the new sprocket's treaded holes don't line up with the covers. It sounded like, when I ordered, and I've read threads that I ordered all I needed. I have a few pictures below that shows what the old front sprocket looks like. Another of the new sprocket and two spacers that came with the sprocket, and the other picture is of the new sprocket on the shaft showing the amount of extra space. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, or don't have a full understanding of how to install.

The old and new.

New sprocket on shaft.

Old front sprocket with covers.

Thanks scudder

Usually when converting you put a 3mm spacer on the outside of the front sprocket to take up the additional space on the splines..
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

This is what you need http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1886 .Did you tell them it was for a 78 GS1000?If you did they should have included one of these.

Comment

Yup. I told them. They included 2 spacers, but they were a total of maybe 2mm. The nut won't tighted down with the smaller spacers. It's still a little loose. 6mm looks to be what I need. Thanks for the link and help.

scudder

Comment

I got one of these off Katman

Spacer built in.Just need the rest

Comment

or is that an offset sprocket for fitting a wider wheel?

Comment

No it's one with a spacer built in.Could be an offset to but for me it's a spacer.

Comment

It's what they call a "conversion sprocket". PBI do them too...
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

When I did my 530 chain I used the 6mm spacer.
                  I got everything from Z1

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

6mm Sprocket Spacer with 25mm center - can be used with 518 series front sprockets on Suzuki GS models. Can be also used on other bikes to off-set the front sprocket. Please insure enough of the front sprocket is on the output shaft spline, and there is clearance for the chain to clear engine cases and frame tubes.

This washer goes on the OUTSIDE of the sprocket! Not between the case and the sprocket. ~~~~~~~~~ The early GS series bikes came equipped with a countershaft sprocket that was sandwiched in rubber for dampening purposes. This spacer takes the place of that rubber sandwich. To the best of our knowledge, the following bikes came with the rubberized sprocket: GSX750LT, LX, T, ET, EX, EZ, SZ 1979-82, GS1000 ALL 79-82, GSX1000 ALL 82-84, GS1100 E-L, ES 80-83, GS1100 E, ES 84-86, GSX1100 SZ, SD Katana 81-85, GSX1100 EZ, ESD 80-85, GSX1100 EF, EG 85-88
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2012, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Oddly enough, I am looking at the EXACT same dilemma in my garage right now with the Z1 conversion replacement for my 750T. Did you figure it out? I am thinking of heading to Lowes and looking in the washer drawer..

Comment

Working...
                    X