Carb rebuild HELP - 79 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb rebuild HELP - 79 GS750

Ok so i have a 79 GS750 and when it started getting cold cylinders #2 and #4 stopped firing. They are getting spark so i assumed its the carbs. Can anyone direct me to a rebuild thread or PDF for these carbs? Any input would be great as well.

PS-what would a shop charge for a rebuild, my local shop said 65 a carb so 260 total.

DON'T GO TO A SHOP

Have you ever looked over the Megawelcome that Basscliff gave you way back in July?

The rebuild procedures are on his site.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Oh yes i forgot to add, i have the VM carbs, have you ever rebuilt those? The walkthrough for the CV carbs is awesome. The walkthrough for the VM is not as easy to follow if you dont know what any of the parts look like or where they are located.

So, I am asking if the VM rebuild PDF found of BassCliff's website is my only resource for knowledge on a rebuild.

Comment

Or am i just being a baby because there are not as many pictures?

Comment

VMs are easier. Take them apart, dip them, put them together.
          Adjust the floats, then the pilot screws.
          Synchronize them.
          Good to go.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks tkent02. I am going to get new o-rings from cycleorings. Where should i purchase bowl and top cover gaskets, and the carb/cylinder head boots?

Comment

On line parts fiche show how they go together. Vendors with on line parts fiche, like this one, generally want to sell you the parts.

Here is a link to one of them.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by Icculus88 View Post
                Thanks tkent02. I am going to get new o-rings from cycleorings. Where should i purchase bowl and top cover gaskets, and the carb/cylinder head boots?
                Usually they can be re used, unless someone has glued them down or dipped the carbs with the gaskets in place.

Z 1 sells them, among others.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Here are some recent threads that might be useful. If you order up some gaskets from Z1 I'd throw some better fuel connectors in the mix too if it's still got the vulcanized rubber kind. I made my own. Here are Z1's listings, double check with them that I've provided the right links:
                  Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Don't mix things up! Here's an example from 550, but very similar to our carbs. Note that 750s have the vac nipple is in the same place as the vent nipple on the carb bodies.

There are a few threads on seized/broken screws, here's one:

Comment

Sirius Consolidated..sets of 4 per pack... (Cheapest youll find anywhere for all 4)

NameSUZUKI FLOAT BOWL GASKET Part No.18-2614 Model GS1000 GS750 GS550 GS850. Price$ 9.99 YearSEE DETAILS Status..IN STOCK SUZUKI FLOAT BOWL GASKETS (SET OF 4) Part# 18-2614 Replaces OEM# 13251-4301
                    Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-05-2012, 01:39 PM.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      VMs are easier. Take them apart, dip them, put them together.
                      Adjust the floats, then the pilot screws.
                      Synchronize them.
                      Good to go.
                      +1

Daniel

Comment

And for the top gaskets..set of 4 per pack also...

NameSUZUKI CARB CAP COVER GASKETS (SET OF 4) Part No.18-2668 ModelGS1000 GS750 GS550 GS850....Price$ 9.00.....YearSEE DETAILS StatusIN STOCK SUZUKI CABURETOR CAP COVER GASKET (SET OF 4) Part# 18-2668 Rep
                        Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-05-2012, 01:38 PM.
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

FYI...Order 4 bowl gaskets from the dealer and the bill will be around 36 bucks. Cant beat these prices fro Sirius as far as carb gaskets go!!!!

Comment

Thanks a bunch, much love for this forum!

Comment

The mix up thread is mine. But other than that the rebuild was quite easy. I painted mine so it took a bit longer. the actual tear down took about 1hour. 24 hours in the dip which I got mine from NAPA. Then other than the carb body mix up it took me about 3hours to rebuild and about 1hour to check float heights. I did not know anything about these carbs. I just printed out the VM Carb rebuild guide. Followed it step for step and things went rather smoothly. They just never mention the order and which carb had to be where. Make sure you mark them in some way so you know which carb is which and put them back together where they belong. Also screw in the pilot screws and count the turns and record it so you can set them back when you put them together again. Good luck and it is not very hard to do at all.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X