No announcement yet.

My new project thread: 78' GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I removed the carb rack yesterday to check float height and carbs 2 and 3 where both at almost 23-24mm when they should be around 21,4. So I adjusted them and then after I fitted the carbs my petcock didn't work.
    So F*** those petcock rebuild kits, didn't do a damn thing except make it worse..... No mc to ride with sunny forecast the rest of the week, my life sucks pretty bad right now....

Comment

Today I was hellbent on driving this bike so off with the tank and off with the petcock and dismantle it in all its pieces!

I then compared the old membrane and plunger to the new one and found that the new one was longer than the old one, so the new one couldn't open to let fuel out.
      So I put the old one back in after switching the o-rings around, put it back on the tank and my oh my did the petcock leak..
      So off again and dismantle it again, because it turns out the longer plunger had compressed the spring to much so it couldn't keep the pressure up when I fitted the old one back. So I stretched the spring, assembled it and now it's working again. I'm still gonna need a new petcock but untill I get that this will have to do.

Don't know if you can see it but here's the new and old side by side.

Comment

Basically a copy/paste from this thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...y-GS&p=2105216
        Since i'm to lazy to write it all up again. But this is the project as it stands today...

Here's the conversion bearings and new swingarm bearings pluss fork seals and dust collars

mounted

Changing the fork seals ment I had to make myself a new tool for compressing the spring... A piece of exhaust pipe, two nuts, some self vulcanizing tape and threaded bar and voila:

a friend of mine came through and made me some new collars and bushings for the rear swingarm, the swingarm was also milled down 3 mm on each side to fit inside the gs frame...

So now the only stuff that remains to get it rolling is to remove the battery tray and make the mounts for the upper and lower shock and brace the frame, however its sort of on hold at the moment because the rear tire is a 190/55-17, way to big. My thought is to use a supermotard 4.5" wheel with a 170 rear tire. Also a supermotard front wheel with gsxr spoke hub from cognito moto...
        I'll probably be picking up a set of SM wheels next weekend so I can start the job of fitting the rear wheel and get the geometry like I want it Stay tuned

Comment

So I sort of changed my mind when I came to this build and decided to toss all the gsx-r parts in favour of sv1000 and bandit parts. So for those of you who where hoping on a monoshock gs, sorry 'bout that....

The new plan consists of a sv1000s front end, a bandit 1200 rear swinger with öhlins rear shocks and maybe new paint... Frame bracing of course...
          So here's the donor bandit I got dirt cheap, removed the parts I needed and then sold again for the same amount I paid for it whole

The bandit rear end and the stock shocks.

Got some sweet looking gold! From a gsx1400:

Turned out they had a 14mm eye on top, so I need to get a sleeve made since the stock ones are 12...

The SV front end is dismantled but not mounted on the gs due to freezing weather(I have the same temp inside my garage as outside :P)
          But the SV is located in a heated storage facility so it also got the gold treatment...

Plenty of stuff to keep me busy!

Comment

Ohlins....nice!
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Trying to muster up some motivation to get this going again. Digging up this thread is step 1. Getting some clevis mounts to weld on the swingarm so I can attach the rear shocks is step 2.
              Then maybe I'll strip it down again so I can start to brace the frame...

Comment

That's a fat tire! Reminds me of my gixxer.

These vintage bikes don't make the same horse power as the fuel injected Suzuki's of the early 2,000's. (Of course, I could be challenged by the statement)

Bike looks good except that rear seat catches the eye; for better or worse. To me it looks like it's missing something but, "hey!" It's your bike.

Keep up the good work no matter what we think here. In the end, hard work and dedication is a labor of love.

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Yeah it's a 180tire so same as most gixxers although I think newer ones use a 190(at least the 1000).

I might have to go with a 160 or 170 depending on the clearance of the chain.

My grand plan is sourcing a gs1000 engine and boring it out to about 1200cc with high compression pistons and a bit more aggressive cams. Wanna put the racer back into caferacer as I think it's now more about style and looks than performance for many.
                  But chain driven 1000's are rare here so in the mean time I'm gonna concentrate about chassis and getting it rideable again... Been almost two years since now...

Comment

You'll probably find that the 180 tire is too wide for the chassis - the chain will be sawing into left frame tube

But, check the chain offset and see what you've got
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I don't think it will rub on the frame with a 520 chain, I think I've seen another here do that. It was close but it worked. Even with a narrower tire the rear sprocket is still in the same place, so would need a negative offset rear sprocket in order to get the chain further from the frame

Comment

Originally posted by Spiff View Post
                        I don't think it will rub on the frame with a 520 chain, I think I've seen another here do that. It was close but it worked. Even with a narrower tire the rear sprocket is still in the same place, so would need a negative offset rear sprocket in order to get the chain further from the frame
                        Or machine down the rear sprocket carrier, that's what I did with mine.
                        1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                        1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Comment

Hello there.
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g
                            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Getting there, slowly :-)

Comment

Very good looking bike
                                I build Pipers

Comment

Working...
                                X