Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purpose of breather hose from top of engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J2Bs View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread. Reading he replies, my question is: is there any benefit (except environmental) to having the breather hose attached to the air box, instead of just being disconnected?
    The vapors can make a mess of everything over time. Since my bike doesn't have an airbox, I run my vent tube into a catch can, but I used to run it down behind the engine as a road draft tube.
    -1980 GS1100 LT
    -1975 Honda cb750K
    -1972 Honda cl175
    - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
      Disconnected and what, capped? Post #2 mentions the pressure build up in the engine. That pressure build up has been mentioned in other threads as a possible cause of oil leaks elsewhere on the engine.
      when I got the bike the hose was connected to the engine, just not the air box. Engine an still breathe fine, just wondering if to add the hose also to the air box or just let it roam free!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
        The vapors can make a mess of everything over time. Since my bike doesn't have an airbox, I run my vent tube into a catch can, but I used to run it down behind the engine as a road draft tube.
        Thanks Tom. Helpful insight.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
          Did you use a hose with a pinched end on it like the one under the airbox? Just curious is all.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Sorry to hijack this thread. Reading he replies, my question is: is there any benefit (except environmental) to having the breather hose attached to the air box, instead of just being disconnected?
            There is a slight negative pressure in the air box that assists in scavenging. Makes the ventilation system more efficient and provides better ring sealing.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

MY question is ... how can you hijack a thread that has been DEAD for five years?

Yes, the main benefit is environmental, the other benefit is that the oily vapors that come through that port on top of the engine get taken somewhere other than just collecting on the engine, frame and bottom of the fuel tank. Whether you run it to a catch can or simply run a long tube down below the swingarm pivot as a road draft tube is up to you.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

maybe you are using the search function to answer questions..good for you! Many don't bother.

I might have missed it but didn't see anyone mentioning that a fair amount of water moisture might be being removed from the engine oil as steam this way,...

I guess you are going to put "pods" on and get rid of the airbox...? The hose might be mentioned in one of those threads too, per what they did with it. I've heard of people putting it into a jar (vented to atmosphere of course) but I don't think the suction that the original sytem has would be there.

Comment

I've seen a couple pod conversions that have filters on the end of the hose. One on a GS 750 and another on a KZ 1000. They used something like this. I'm not saying to use this, just commenting on what I've seen.

I don't understand how that kept oily junk from coming out though.
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A
                  Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I guess it works as a reverse filter so the oily mess gets trapped on the inside. With that said, I left the breather hose open to the air above the trans case.
                    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Working...
                    X