X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS650L - 1st Project

Hello from Austin, Texas !

I'm Michael and I just purchased an '82 GS650L with just over 2k miles on the original engine (at least I think it's original, haven't gotten deep in there yet).

My nose has been buried in this forum for the last week and half and I can't say how thankful I am to know that this place exists! I've learned an extreme amount of info about the GS and actually made my purchase based on how informative and active this community is...So thanks all admins!!

I'm a 34 year-old Artist/Audio Engineer and a total noob when it comes to motorcycles --

However, I'm a tinker-person and pretty mechanically inclined -- my lifetime has been centered around designing, building, and trouble-shooting all types of "systems" ranging from computers, HVAC, cameras, audio equipment, etc.
    I grew up poor so we always worked on our own stuff -- built and repaired cars/trucks with my grandfather and father for as long as I could remember.

I'm not a wrench monkey, but I'm design/tech savvy and I'm approaching this project from an educational standpoint -- as I'm looking to design my own mods later on down the line.
    I'm excited get this gem street safe while learning the ins/outs!

Cheers!

G]

Comment

New guy from Maine

New guy from Northern Maine. Just picked up a project...its a 1981 GS550T with some serious scars but i think she will make a great Cafe Racer bike. 15k miles and only $200 so it wasn't expensive....at least not yet! Check out my album for pictures but beware, it is a sad little bike right now....

Comment

New member and first SUZUKI. 1979 gs1000s Wes Cooley Replica. I just purchased this "project" bike in boxes. Before you all think I'm crazy. I have successfully done this before and I did buy it " mid restoration" from a collector that has 3-4 dozen of the nicest bikes I have ever seen. (think Jay Leno type collection) I have restored some old Honda 4's Triumph twins and even the odd Ducati. Current other projects are RD350LC, xt500 Dakar Racer, BMW Orxy Rally bike and a dozen or so more mostly 60's bikes.
        The bike I purchased was running well when taken apart for restoration. Frame has been powder coated and many NOS parts acquired. Decal set. NOS mirrors etc. Looks to have great condition original stock pipes and clean dash. My plan is to restore the wheels and get it into roller, while the tins are out for paint and the motor gets a through looking over then assemble the parts and scream for help as challenges arise.
        I am interested in not making any changes to the bike that will help value etc. Would love a Yoshi pipe though....
        I will be searching and asking a lot of questions as I know almost nothing about this bike. Looking forward to learning.
        thanks in advance you any help and advice.
        Jerry
        Ashland, Oregon

Comment

hey, new guy here, I live in Sherwood park, Alberta, Canada and I own a 79 gs550 that i've been working on for about a year and just got another one yesterday a 79 gs425. found this page looking for a manual online for the 425.

Comment

Newbie member located in West Michigan. Learned to ride on my uncle's Honda Mini Trail 50 in '71, then graduated to his CT70 a couple years later! First real bike owned was brand new '73 Honda XR-75, an incredible bike. Graduated in '75 to a new 125 Elsinore (tiny explosive powerband -- loud and perfect for upsetting tree huggers), then a new '78 YZ125, then a new '82 Kaw GPZ750, then a cool purchase in '83 to a '75 Kaw H2 Mach 4 750 (beautiful stock with Denco chambers), then a new '86 CR125 Elsinore when I lived in SoCal (raced a couple times and desert rides), '86 new (leftover) Yamaha XT350, an '85 CR500 in mid-90s for kicks (ankle buster to start but a monster), and finally my first serious street bike in 2003, a 2001 Kaw ZRX1200R. That bike is crazy powerful, and one of the reasons it only has 8700 miles (I'll probably sell it next year). A couple weeks ago I bought my first Suzuki, an '83 GR650 Tempter, almost totally original with 14K miles, and in nice condition. The riding position is so much more comfortable than my ZRX, and I really like the wide powerband. It feels much lighter than my ZRX (maybe 100lb) and it certainly feels more "classic". I pulled the valve cover off (first time trying this) and checked the lash, and found out that three out of four are too tight, with the right exhaust valve having zero clearance (struggled to get the shim socket turned). When I pulled off the valve cover it smelled like something burned, probably from the combusted exhaust coming into that area because the valve isn't closing. Getting that shim out was a task, even with the shim tool. I heard a strange sound coming from the head when it was running, so that's probably why. The good news is that once I get the gaps right, it should be making quite a bit more power.
            Last edited by Guest; 11-14-2016, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sideskraft View Post
              Newbie member located in West Michigan. .......
              Just now notice that folks have been posting introductions in this thread.

I would suggest you (and every one) post an introduction in a new thread just for you.

I am just up the road, north about 15-20 miles.
              But work in Holland.

Good that you found the tight valves before one got burnt.

Do post pics of the bike.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Why hasn't the first post been Frozen so that no one can reply to this thread?

I replied back in December 2012 and still this thread allows replies. Until it's locked, no sense in restating the disclaimer that isn't being followed.

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Hey guys, New to the forum and i just wanted to say HEY!! I hope you learn alot from you guys around here!!! I was also hoping to get a bit more info about this bike all i know about it, Is that its a 1979 GS750E lol IMG_0072.jpg

Comment

Hey everyone, I'm Casey. I'm a Mechanical Engineering student in Bozeman, MT. I just picked up an 82 GS1100GK that needs some work. I'm hoping to get all the bugs worked out before the snow melts. I had an old GS750 in High School, but everything since then has mostly been dirtbikes.
                    '82 GS1100GK

Comment

new to the GS world..picked up a 77 gs400 w 15,*** original miles..this thing is close to mint..been well maintained and garage keptIMG_20170223_165547.jpg

Comment

Former forum member. Have a GS850 in pieces, but just picked up a 750E. Got the usual things needed. Battery, tires, chain and sprockets. Bike has had the stator replaced, and I plan on going thru the electrical.

Thanks for having me, Again!

Comment

I am new... I picked up a 1981 GS250TDX It's my first bike... needs a lot of work. I am having trouble finding the right socket to remove the sprocket nut at the front left side of the bike for the chain... any suggestions on which socket to pick up would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by brainbox View Post
                            I am new... I picked up a 1981 GS250TDX It's my first bike... needs a lot of work. I am having trouble finding the right socket to remove the sprocket nut at the front left side of the bike for the chain... any suggestions on which socket to pick up would be awesome.
                            You're better off to put your question in one of the other forums so people would see it. I think it's a 32mm socket but I can make sure today when I get over to the garage
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Just joined the Suzuki team. Recently purchased a 1986 GS1150e with 15k mi.
                              Attached Files
                              Cristoph
                              Current Bike: 1986 Suzuki GS1150E
                              Previous Bikes: 1977 Honda CB750K / 1983 Honda CM450a

Comment

Originally posted by mex3000 View Post
                                Just joined the Suzuki team. Recently purchased a 1986 GS1150e with 15k mi.
                                Welcome. Very nice bike.....
                                sigpic
                                09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                                1983 GS1100e
                                82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                                1980 GS1260
                                Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                                X