This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all,
    I am Brandon . I go by the tag name Pnutt said like peanut just short.
    I have been waiting to find a project motorcycle to work on so I traded some junk for a titled 1983 gs 550l . The original owner sold it to a man who had the great idea to bob it. But had no clue what was involved . So I started putting the old girl back together out of 5 boxes of parts. I have powder coated the frame, head lamp, handlebars, and wheels black and am tuning it . It also has a new 723 bore kit in it so this little bike should fligh. I love that this model has the soft tail with out the side mounted shocks. She Has brand new shoes and is itching to get out and run.
    I have hit up some members for help with the tune and I am thankful to find a group that Also has a lot of love for gs bikes. Thanks all and ride safe.

Comment

Almost new to GS Resources

I had joined previously but mostly just looked around. I have one of the ten Terry Vance contest bikes given away in 1979. A 1978 GS1000C. I crashed it 26 years ago and it had sat rusting under the back deck.
      I started to rehabilitate it last summer (2011). The tires and hoses were dry rotted, the headers rusted out, and the engine seized. I got it licensed in September. Since then I've fought a varnish in the fuel tank problem. Currently using a full sized automotive fuel filter, it seems to help. I have a new used tank coming. I've rebuilt the carbs, forks,breaks replaced the ignition and last weekend, bored & put 1100 pistons in it. Paint is next.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-25-2012, 03:13 AM. Reason: added Suzuki add

Comment

Thanks for your website a lot of info I have found the manual for my bike as I lost the original copy that I had

Comment

Saxjeffw

Hi:
          I bought a barn queen 81 GS650G that I've just finished restoring. I wish I would have found this site sooner, would have made the restore easier. Anyway, thanks for the resource!.

I live in Phoenix and it averages 105-110 deg in the daytime during the summer. Since the restore, the only problem I've had is the rec/reg heating up. As you can see on my thread, I ended up re-locating it and that fixed the problem.

Jeff

Comment

Hello all,

Names Chris. I finally got to working on my 83 850L my father bought for me while i was deployed back in 06. Working on multiple projects at the same time right now.

Working on an 01 F250 Powerstroke and almost done. Decided that that my gf should drive my 08 Mustang GT to work instead of me. Have a 92 pickup as well that sucks gas, and since we drive 120 miles to work a day each, that I would jump on the motorcycle project.

A guy who was a firefighter with my dad parked it when it stopped running right. My grandfather before he passed away tore the carbs down and found out it was a ripped diapragm.

So to his honor I will work this bike up to running good standards, and someday when im not paying for me and my spouses 2nd degrees(Well i guess my GI bill covers most of mine), then I will more then likely rebuild this from the ground up.

My father wants a Cafe racer, and when I get comfortable riding this bike, will give to him and move to an awnry chain drive.

I admire the heritage and how you guys take care of each other here. I was part of the Nor Cal Third Gen (Camaro/Tbird) club when i was stationed in Cali, and they were good guys as well.

That is my story, and I shall remain lurking. Thanks for the awesome write-ups, and I myself look forward to learning and helping to contribute as well.

Candle

Comment

Originally posted by candlebox View Post
              Hello all,

Names Chris. ...
              Hi, Chris. Nice story, but more people will notice it if you put it in your own introductory thread, rather than adding it as a reply to a post that was intended as a "READ-ONLY" post.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What this site needs is staffing, ones who would have the rights to move posts like this into the correct areas of the forum, seems this site is lacking a bit in that department. It would really benefit the site greatly, at least I think so....

A few more replies and Chris's post will be lost in this thread, and or this reply will be, and the initial post which should have been locked down and made a stickie will just get cluttered....

I will volunteer my time, hell I am on a computer almost 20 hours a day, practically, well almost.....

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Hi, Chris. Nice story, but more people will notice it if you put it in your own introductory thread, rather than adding it as a reply to a post that was intended as a "READ-ONLY" post.

Ah all apologies, I was just following suite. Apparently, we were not supposed to jump off the bridge : )

Comment

REALLY new.

Hi there,

I'm Bruce, and I just bought an '80 GS750. Needs a TON of work, and I know just this side of nothing. I'm a firm believer in learning via YouTube, and relying on the kindness of strangers. That's where you fine people come in

I picked it up for next to free, and figured it would give me something to tinker with. I am actually going to be putting my feelers out around my home town and surrounds for mechanically minded people who are in to the idea of bartering for trade of service. I am a custom painter and airbrush artist, so I figure if they can make a bike run, I can make it purdy . Sounds like a genius plan. We'll see about that I guess.
                    I can't figure out how to post a picture. Yes I've tried to search. Maybe next post.

Bruce.

Comment

Handle Bars

This is a great site for reading about other bikes. Thanks for putting it together. I will try to post larger picture of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmet Head View Post
                        Hi there,

I'm Bruce, and I just bought an '80 GS750. Needs a TON of work, and I know just this side of nothing. I'm a firm believer in learning via YouTube, and relying on the kindness of strangers. That's where you fine people come in

I picked it up for next to free, and figured it would give me something to tinker with. I am actually going to be putting my feelers out around my home town and surrounds for mechanically minded people who are in to the idea of bartering for trade of service. I am a custom painter and airbrush artist, so I figure if they can make a bike run, I can make it purdy . Sounds like a genius plan. We'll see about that I guess.
                        I can't figure out how to post a picture. Yes I've tried to search. Maybe next post.

Bruce.
                        Where abouts in Ontario, we have many members all over Ontario someone might be closer to you to help out

and for pictures

follow this

Cheers
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-07-2012, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Here I am... With pics of the bike too!!

Hey Gatekeeper,

I'm in lovely, tourist capital Kingston Ontario. If you know of anyone who knows how to turn a wrench, but can't seem to figure out paint, you have my permission to play 'rebuild matchmaker'. Looked in my 'toolkit'. I presently own a hammer, two sets of pliers (from Ikea), and a putty knife. Uh oh.

Also, I am including a picture of the fairing, but I don't plan on including that on the bike in the end. Anyone want to offer me a few bucks for it here, or is Kijiji a better option?

Comment

Originally posted by Helmet Head View Post
                            Hey Gatekeeper,

I'm in lovely, tourist capital Kingston Ontario. If you know of anyone who knows how to turn a wrench, but can't seem to figure out paint, you have my permission to play 'rebuild matchmaker'. Looked in my 'toolkit'. I presently own a hammer, two sets of pliers (from Ikea), and a putty knife. Uh oh.

Also, I am including a picture of the fairing, but I don't plan on including that on the bike in the end. Anyone want to offer me a few bucks for it here, or is Kijiji a better option?

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/t...n/IMAG0696.jpg
                            close on posting the images, but just copy the img code and paste it into the body of your post..

I am sure you will or could get lots of potential help in mechanics, for some good quality painting....

if you were closer, and I didn't already get my tins painted....well it just might have worked out...

and here are your pics

Comment

Hey everyone. I'm Dusty from Indiana. This summer I bought my first bike. It's a 1986 GS550L. So far I've given it a new chain, plugs, auxihliary LED tail lights, complete carb cleaning, petcock rebuild, new insrument bulbs, of course an oil change, and a good polishing. I am new to bikes, but not to turning wrenches. I'm looking forward to trading tips and tricks with everyone.

Comment

New from New Zealand

Hi All,

Just joined your illustrious commnuity. My name is Darryl from Auckland, New Zealand. I bought my first GS, a 78' GS750EC in 1982 after owning a Honda MT250 Elsinore, a Suzuki GT250 and a Kawasaki S3 400. I modified the GS getting it overbored to fit 2nd oversize GS425 pistons (I spent a hour in the spares dept of the local dealer with a vernier caliper comparing the 750 and 425 pistons). It took the capacity to 819cc using only stock parts and improved grunt accross the range... as you might expect.

A GSX1100EZ (GS1100EZ) followed which met an unfortunate end against a power pole. A Katana GSX1100SXZ followed that poor machine. These were a very low volume factory modified model for the local 6-hour endurance race that was a very important event back in the day. The were only shipped to NZ and to South Africa. Being such a small market only 20 were required for homologation and only 20 were delivered. I still have the Kat, which to my shame has languished in the garage as work, family and other interests have occupied my time. However, the resurrection is about to begin...

I look forward to tapping the collective knowledge here and where I can, contribute to it. Cheers!
                                Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 09-05-2012, 12:08 AM. Reason: Spelling
                                sigpicDarryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana
                                1982 GSX750S Katana
                                1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Working...
                                X