This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ted from Chappaquidick

Not really. Been lurking in forums for a while, now I have my own GS and am pumped about getting started on my project - 1981 GS650 E. I want to cutomize into a retro/ cafe bike. Some upgraded goodies but keep the general 80's Suzuki appeal. No ape hangers, mono-shock or 2013 GSXR rear tail.

Comment

New member from England

Hi all, i'm Matt from Yorkshire, England. I reckon you'll be hearing more from me but first how i came into posession of a very unloved 1980 GS850GT. When me and my wife lost our baby in may we were devastated, our lives felt empty, she got a gorgeous cocker spaniel puppy to give us something to fill the gulf and when a friend offered me a very scabby GS850 for £200, being in a dazed state of mind i snapped it up! I'm no stranger to the classic world having put a 82 Honda CX500 back on the road so another classic project was just what i needed. i already have a 2000 Suzuki SV650s to ride but got a hankering for an oldie again which brings me to here. The GS has been painted in a tasteless ratbike matt black paint scheme and was almost about to get choppered when i saved it! It's now being stripped in my garage to be rebuilt as a "rideoration", not 100% showroom spec but rebuilt with as many of the original components refinished and the original panels and tank repainted in midnight blue. The big work will be starting soon so you'll be hearing more of it. At least i'm keeping the timeless GS style and this won't fall victim to another "custom" project as too many GS' do!

Comment

Hi Matt - there are a few of us UK based GS nuts out there. Get some photos up and start a rebuild thread so we can all follow progress.

Greetings

Richard
        Richard
        sigpic
        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Matt - in fact you should go to the correct thread and put your post up again. This thread should not really be here. Yes I know it's complicated but if you can conquer this then you should be good at the rebuild!
          Richard
          sigpic
          GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
          GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
          Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
          Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

New Member From New Zealand

Hello to everyone, I have been surfing this and other similar sites for quite a while. Earlier this year I got permission from SWMBO to purchase a "Road" bike, and after much searching on our TradeMe site, (like E-bay), found the bike in my avitar. 1980 GSX1100ET. The bike is in resonable condition and has clocked up 100km according to the speedo?? I purchased from a very nice man who originally came from South Africa, who lives in Cambridge.
            Looking through the Gallery I spied a photo (Gallery ID #72) of what looks like my bike, titled "Waimakariri River New Zealand" and posted by Member "Bruce Roy" I have emailed using his contact but it has been bounced
            It is making my little heart race if this is my old bike, and I may be able to find out some history about her. Anybody that has any suggestions or knowledge of the bike, I would appreciate any contact.
            What a fantastic site it is here, and I love seeing all these old school bikes and owners. I would love to contact any other New Zealand members.
            Regards, Dave
            Last edited by Guest; 10-12-2012, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Hey Dave, welcome from the western side... haha

Mate stick a g'day thread over in the GS Owners section so all our NZ members can see and say g'day as well, there's definitely a few around the place here!
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Pete, took your advice and hopefully posted in the right place

Comment

New Member from Germany

Hello all,

i'am new to this site. I own 1 and half GS850, the 79er up and running, with some parts from my 80ie 850GT model.

Usually the GS is packed to the limits (my wife and me, plus BUKO) and we ride about 4000-8000km per year.

So far my GS never let us down even during swimming contests on the Autobahn.

A back surgery smashed this season. So back on the feet again i need to do some maintenance stuff on the GS.
                  And therefore i like to squeeze some pearls of wisdom out of you

Best Regards and thanks for keeping the GS community alive.
                  Heiko

Comment

Hi i am new member and i am from Greece . i just get this 1980 gs1000 from germany a month ago .is my child dream to own a gs1000 and now at my 36 i finally own one .i will need some help to restore the motorcycle and i want help to make it a yoshimura replica of the era. The motorcycle was having original exhaust and i install a marving 4to1 and having problem with the carbs i found some fcr41 and i want to install them .
                    Thanks

Comment

Hi my name is Troy, I'm an Australian and I'd like to thank you for allowing me to join. I have owned numerous bikes mostly Suzuki, I owned a 1100 Katana that was my first road bike(I was 17yrs old) Rebuilt it - 1170 Yoshi kit Yoshi Pipe Rs36's Cams Crank n Head done Ohlins shocks n front done to my weight etc, loved it n regret sale EVERY DAY(Even named my daughther Katana) n my last new bike was a 2008 Kawasaki ZX12R that had power commander full Muzzy system n custom tune (really wanted a Suzuki but 'busa done nothing for me) Have always LOVED BIG HP in what ever I joinned this site cause I purchased a GS1000 that I intend to Bomb the motor n give a few chassis Suspension upgrades, theres a cb900 getting built on another site by Newman n that is how I had planned my build(will have to change mine a little now dont want to copy) Also love GS801000 info n his build that is my style of bike. I would love some advice tips please on these GS my build was going to consist of a 1238 Big Bore Kit (but Ray? on here has 1400 kit that REALLY interests me ) want BIG RELIABLE HP Ok I've waffled enough Thanks again

Kind Regards
                      Troy / Aussie Cafe Racer

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Cafe Racer View Post
                        Hi my name is Troy, I'm an Australian and I'd like to thank you for allowing me to join. I have owned numerous bikes mostly Suzuki, I owned a 1100 Katana that was my first road bike(I was 17yrs old) Rebuilt it - 1170 Yoshi kit Yoshi Pipe Rs36's Cams Crank n Head done Ohlins shocks n front done to my weight etc, loved it n regret sale EVERY DAY(Even named my daughther Katana) n my last new bike was a 2008 Kawasaki ZX12R that had power commander full Muzzy system n custom tune (really wanted a Suzuki but 'busa done nothing for me) Have always LOVED BIG HP in what ever I joinned this site cause I purchased a GS1000 that I intend to Bomb the motor n give a few chassis Suspension upgrades, theres a cb900 getting built on another site by Newman n that is how I had planned my build(will have to change mine a little now dont want to copy) Also love GS801000 info n his build that is my style of bike. I would love some advice tips please on these GS my build was going to consist of a 1238 Big Bore Kit (but Ray? on here has 1400 kit that REALLY interests me ) want BIG RELIABLE HP Ok I've waffled enough Thanks again

Kind Regards
                        Troy / Aussie Cafe Racer
                        Hey Troy, good to see another Aussie! Where in the wide brown land do you hang your helmet? Keen to see what you do with the 1000!

sigpic

Comment

Hey Pete I'm about 4hrs north of Sydney near the coast,
                          near Port Macquarie, this site has some gr8 content on it,
                          got relatives that live at Grange in Brisbane so not far from u
                          Thanks for message
                          Last edited by Guest; 11-27-2012, 09:49 AM. Reason: Seen location

Comment

Good stuff Troy, yeah that's only 5 minutes from here.

There are definitely some others around Sydney on here, and I'm sure I've seen someone around that area as well somewhere although I may be wrong...

sigpic

Comment

Hey
                              I am from Ottawa Canada
                              i am rebuilding my 81 gs 1100 hear is what i plan to do to it
                              1166 block&pistons
                              vhr poted head
                              33mm smooth bores
                              K&N
                              rc engerering headers
                              dyna tek ignition & Andrew coils
                              the cams i was given are intake G9 410 lift & 258duration
                              exhaust G 21 370 lift 256 duration
                              I think tese cams may be to much punch as it is a daily driver
                              or would a web 348 lift cam much better
                              i am trying to buikld this bike as a sleeper wink wink
                              thanks for any help

Comment

Originally posted by bakonick View Post
                                Hi i am new member and i am from Greece . i just get this 1980 gs1000 from germany a month ago .is my child dream to own a gs1000 and now at my 36 i finally own one .i will need some help to restore the motorcycle and i want help to make it a yoshimura replica of the era. The motorcycle was having original exhaust and i install a marving 4to1 and having problem with the carbs i found some fcr41 and i want to install them .
                                Thanks

i owned the 78 gs 100 loved that bike had to sell to pay for the DIVORCE but now i am getting back on my feet ( foot pegs)
                                enjoy there a great bike to ride

Comment

Working...
                                X