Adjusting the Idle Mixture on CV Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, but NO THANKS.

Ever since I have visited that site, I have been getting virus messages.

They are being reported in a system file, so they can not be removed.

I guess I will have to wipe my machine and do a fresh install when I get home.

Thanks for adding to my work load.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Maybe if this site was a bit more like 99% of all other sites, one would be able to upload a pdf, or any other type of document, one would get more than only 75 messages for PM's, really how big can a PM be, it don't use up that much space, I had sites where members had 500 allowable PM's and we didn't even notice it on the server....I won't even get into allowing youtube links, and a vast variety of other things that could spruce up the place and make the stay here more pleasant....you want to save space, get rid of Albums for each user, setup the site so it resizes pics to a default of 800x600, upgrade the vBulletin to something more newer, I am really surprised this place has not been hacked and wiped out due to the antiquated version it runs on....but hey I only come here to read.....and not Admin....

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool
        . I think you need a better virus protection if your system files were infected, ...
        I am using the same system that I have been using for about 8 years now, with regular updates, of course. I get occasional notices, which is expected when I have to log on to a new motel connections every few weeks, a new connection at work (usually very safe) every few weeks, and occasional hot-spot sites as I travel.

I said I get "occasional" notices. After trying your downoad, I kept getting a message about every 5 minutes.

I just got done with a full system scan in Safe Mode, which is the recommended method to get rid of that particular infection. I have not had any notices for the last half hour, let's see how long it lasts.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Well, so much for that "fix", just got another warning.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride

Comment

I saved a PDF copy I made from his first post so if anyone wants that send me your email and I'll send it to you.
            sigpic
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool
              Here's some food for thought, I've had a few viruses in the past, and the hardest ones I've found to eliminate, were the ones that actually infected the virus protection software itself, which why I would never use Mcafee again, ... Try using another virus software from a disk to scan your system to include the virus protection program.
              Thanks, I don't use McAfee, either, but for other reasons.

I have had an offer provided to me to use another system, will have to wait until I get home in a few days.

The "infected" file is a system file. I am going to load an "upgrade" to Windoze, maybe that will overwrite the file. If not, I wll be cashing in on the offer for the other software.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Steve, have you tried MalwareBytes?
                It is free, and I use it on client's machines. It is constantly updated, so I always download a fresh copy when I go do some work.

Comment

Thanks for the write up.
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

You are welcome. I asked Cliff to post a PDF on his site. Just sent him a copy.
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-17-2012, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Steve, You once posted you had your virus warning go off on you on a picture I had posted on imageshack that wasn't infected. As George suggested try malwarebytes and I also might add try safer-networking's spybot search and destroy and superantispyware portable. Those are a couple of other good products to scan with as well.
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Get Microsoft DART and fix your problem....

just a thought

Comment

Gentle bump to get to the forefront until Cliff has the time to post on his site.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                            Gentle bump to get to the forefront until Cliff has the time to post on his site.
                            Been reading your new adjustment thread. I appreciate the simple format for my simple mind. I get confused easily.
                            If you could explain a bit of CV carb function theory to me now.
                            According to your first post:

"Richen the mixture - rotate the pilot air/fuel screw counter-clockwise
                            Lean out the mixture - rotate the pilot air/fuel screw clockwise."

What is actually happening when the mixture screw is turned? You obviously know the tiny hole that the mixture screw will poke through in the carb throat if it is lightly seated.....is that tiny little hole actually the one that is allowing more air in/blocking more air, that changes everything?
                            Before I thought backing the screw out would allow more air in, making it leaner. But now I know out means richer, therefore the increased airflow must actually " vaccuum" up more fuel into the mix?....
                            and on the exact flip side , my former thinking thought tuning the screw in would block more air, making it richer, but if I understand correctly now, it cuts the airflow down, somehow "vaccuuming/drawing" less fuel into the mix?

I must assume there is another hole down in the mixture screw shaft that I have never noticed. If the tiny hole in the carb throat(where I mentioned the mix screw will poke through) does in fact let more air/vacuum/or pressure in, this other hole in the vertical shaft where the mix screw is inserted, is the opening that is affected. The hole that receives more pressure or vacuum which in turn affects the increase or decrease of fuel delivery?
                            I am just talking out loud here trying to explain myself. I know that was probably confusing. Id rather ask and understand than be ignorant.
                            Where/how does the actual CV mixture screw magic happen?

Comment

O.K., you asked for it. In order to fully understand what is going on, you have to understand the entire pilot circuit. This is taken directly from the web:

PILOT CIRCUIT

This is sometimes called the "idle circuit" but it does a lot more than control idle. And it is perhaps the most misunderstood of the three circuits. The role of the pilot circuit is basically to run the engine when the throttle is closed, as when the engine is idling or the throttle is closed on deceleration. But this circuit is also the main source of fuel at very small throttle openings. As the throttle is opened past 1/4, the importance of this circuit diminishes, as the main fuel supply is now provided through the main "fuel hole" and controlled by the needle/needle jet and ultimately the main jet. But the pilot circuit does remain active and makes a (progressivley smaller) contribution all the way to WOT.

The typical set up is this: The pilot circuit get its fuel from the float bowl through the pilot jet. The circuit also has a pilot air jet, but the purpose here is not to provide all the needed air (as in the starting circuit), but to provide air to premix with and partially aerate the fuel before the mixture enters bore and completes the atomization process with air traveling through the bore. Such little air passages are sometimes called "air bleed" circuits.

This circuit typically has two outlets. One is called the "pilot outlet" and is located on the engine side of the butterfly valve. This outlet supplies the fuel mixture to support idling and deceleration (that is, off-throttle running). It has an adjustment screw which controls the amount of fuel mixture entering the bore under off-throttle conditions. This screw is sometimes mistaken for an "air screw" but it is not. Turning in (right) reduces the amount of fuel mixture, and turning out (left) increases it. In for lean, out for rich.

The other outlet is call the "bypass outlet" and is located right at the point in the bore where the bottom of the butterfly comes to rest when closed. Typically, the butterfly is set a tad open to permit just a slight amount of air to pass by at the bottom to support idle and decel, and most of the fuel for these functions is supplied through the pilot outlet. But as the butterfly is opened, more air flows past it, and the venturi effect starts to work on the bypass Additional fuel is now drawn out of the bypass to support low speed running and cruising at small throttle openings. (Note that if the butterfly valve is adjusted to 'fully closed' the engine will probably not start or idle. It needs to be open a tad. As mentioned above, these outlets continue "giving" throughout the rev range, but their contribution to the overall mixture diminishes as the slide rises.)

Digest this a bit at a time. It will come to you as it sinks in.
                              Last edited by Guest; 11-10-2012, 03:38 AM.

Comment

you: Digest this a bit at a time. It will come to you as it sinks in.
                                me: agree.

Thanks for your effort and response. I am starting to see the relation betweeen the mix screw and the idle circuit , as the article said "the holes on the engine side of the butterflies"
                                Certainly takes time to grasp the whole thing. I have done good rebuilding carbs and getting the gs's to run, trying to make it less guesswork and more calculated adjustments. thx.
                                I blued a set of pipes and dont want to make these miscalculations again.
                                It is so true, a bike that runs like crap is just worthless and unenjoyable.

Comment

Working...
                                X