No announcement yet.

Adjusting the Idle Mixture on CV Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very enlightening... thanks again George!
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

We exist only to serve. (LMK if you know the book that quote came from.)

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
        We exist only to serve. (LMK if you know the book that quote came from.)
        My first thought was an Aasimov story,but now I'm thinking something much drier...and set more in an apocalyptic future/parallel universe...wink me a blue eye if I'm close
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Wink wink

Comment

Great info, KK. Thanks!
            Just added to my subscribed links
            '80 GS1000ST
            '92 ZX-11
            Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

KK great info,
              JUst a suggestion, how about combining some how it works theory into the indroduction for your procedure?

And a picture for the "Visual Learners"

This picture from the manual is a good start, but it would be great if someone with the image manipulation/creation skills and time, could make one in colour without the cross hatching so its clearer.

oh and I like Mr Herberts work too...

Comment

You are right John 82. Chuck H had put up a carb theory article that was a good read but long and I got bored. IIRC it was not CV's either but general carb theory.
                After seeing your post above I recalled this info is in the service manual, which it looks like you may have used for your reference.
                Anyways, thank you all.

Comment

As I indicated in my post, I found a web page and filtered through all the extraneous crap and just gleaned what answered loud_et's question. It may have been the same stuff that Chuck H had posted, because it did have a lot of general carb theory, which was not germane to the request.
                  It would be more appropriate in the Appendix. That way, someone who just wanted to get the mixture screws set correctly can do it quickly and easily and not hurt their brain. Those more interested in the theory could dig into the Appendix to understand it.
                  I have no image manipulation skills, so someone else would have to do that work.

Comment

Thanks,old_skool. The ol' gs400E Im tinkering with has "hanging idle" throttle and this will get to the "things todo first and in order" really quick and concise.

Comment

Just subscribing to the thread to read later. Good info.
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks for posting, this thread is a must read for all of us noobies.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this. I need to do this to my bike tonight. Sounds like it may be easier/more effective than each screw by itself.

My main debate is deciding whether to make my old temp fuel supply off the bike so I can adjust the screws with the tank off.

Comment

I've posted links about carb tuning before. The chart below helps explain the relationship between the various systems and how they work in various throttle positions. Here's where I pulled the current pic from (http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/printcarbtuning.html). Looks like the entire article was copied from elsewhere.

If I understand the KK's approach correctly, the key thing is that:
                            1) overly lean low-speed mixture will make the idle hang a bit (or be slow to return to idle) when you blip the throttle
                            2) overly rich low-speed mixture will make the idle sag a bit when you blip the throttle.

Makes total sense, not that I have tried it.

Last thing to be mentioned: On a 4 cylinder engine, it's really best to adjust valves first, then tune carburetors, then synch carburetors. Especially be sure to do the valves before synching or you may be misadjusting your throttle plates to compensate for a poor valve adjustment.

Mikuni has a nice guide to carb adjustment here: http://www.mikuni.com/fs-tuning_guide.html
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-10-2013, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Should a carb sync be done prior to the mixture adjustment or after?
                              1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                              1983 GS 1100 G
                              2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                              2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                              1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

I think a carb sync should be done BEFORE a mixture tweak.

Look at it this way: if one carb is out of sync and happens to be closed, tweaking the mixture won't do much.

If you make sure that carb is flowing the same amount of air as the others (by matching the vacuum levels), you will know that the mixture tweak might have a chance.

EDIT: I just went up a bit farther and read AJ's post, Have to agree with some and dis-agree with some.

Yes, adjust the valves before synching the carbs.

No, sync the carbs before adjusting mixture. Reason already stated above.

By the way, some of the items listed in that chart might be a bit confusing, because it is for the VM carbs, not the BS-series CV-type carbs.
                                Other than that, it's a good chart. I will have to read the rest of the article when I have some time.

Last edited by Steve; 10-07-2013, 04:15 PM.
                                sigpic
                                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                                Family Portrait
                                Siblings and Spouses
                                Mom's first ride
                                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                                X