Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally getting around to the 550/699 project....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally getting around to the 550/699 project....

After years gathering parts and looking a a bunch of overfull bins and shelves I'm starting it.
    I think I have everything I need, 650 top end, a couple 550 engines, a complete 550E sans engine and a bunch of wheels and brakes and things.

Half a fridge full of forks and shocks and things, a couple of 550Ls worth of little parts.

First I want to test a 550 engine so I know the bottom end, transmission etc. are good before doing the 550 swap. The one that came in the 550E had the PO remove the top end because it had low compression (Valves too tight) left it open and a rod bearing rusted a little bit. A little oil and working it back an forth and it freed up, it's just as smooth as any other bearing now.I think this one would be good but I can't test it to make sure.

The next turns nice, good compression, but has three broken exhaust studs, two recessed into the holes... One has been drilled a little bit crooked. So doable but maybe the other one is easier...

The third had no compression in #2. Zero point zero. I squirted PB Blaster into it and let it sit a couple years, now it has a tiny bit of compression. It's blowing out the intake port so probably a burnt valve, again from being too tight. (they were all too tight on this engine)

I can run it on three if necessary to test the tranny, I can also test the other tranny just fine with exhaust leaks.

Which one should I use?

I think I'll take a closer look at all three to look for signs of high mileage or other problems...
    Last edited by tkent02; 11-05-2012, 08:56 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Which engine had the nicest looking oil in it when you drained them?
    Perhaps that would help guide a decision as to which bottom end to use?

And I have to ask...
    Are you going to be making an "L" model from it?

Comment

No Ls here, the plan is a mostly stock 550E first, followed by a customized single seater, both with the 550/650 engine.
      For this first one, big brakes, excellent suspension and tires, otherwise mostly original GS 550 with a little ( maybe a lot! ) extra Oomph.

The second one will have an all out high performance engine, beefed up frame, kick ass modern suspension, tires, brakes, everything.

Comment

Tom,
        Just split the cases and look at the bottom end. It's well worth the effort, and it's not that much effort anyway.

I'd be concern about that rod bearing. If the race or roller is pitted even a little, it will fail fairly quickly.

Been looking for a 650, or 550, out my way but it's slim pickings. Will be watching this thread and living vicariously though you.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Tom,
          Just split the cases and look at the bottom end. It's well worth the effort, and it's not that much effort anyway.
          Could you see anything without taking the crankshaft apart?

It was #1 bottom end rod bearing, it cleaned up and moved smoothly with just a few drops of oil and just working it for a few seconds...

I'm thinking my best bet may be to get some left hand drill bits and go after those broken exhaust bolts. Ride the bike with that engine as a 550 while I morph the one with the low compression into a 675...

Comment

One hole fixed, two to go. The PO of this engine broke off three exhaust bolts, drilled into two of them, broke off an Easy-Out in the first one, and quit. I fixed the hole that was drilled only.

Helicoil worked fine although drilling straight was a problem with the pieces of the old bolt in there. My drill press shows it's Chineseness with every slanted hole. It's a cool articulating press, that makes it very easy to line up the holes which are at funny angles.

Unfortunately when you bear down on it the moving head with the chuck goes off to the side and it drills crooked. Oh well, the price was right.

It's not perfect but the tap and the Helicoil bit in pretty good, I think it will be fine. Going to weld a nut on the other two bolts to see if they will come out easy. Studs from now on, no more of these lame bolts.

There are four or five sets of VM24 carbs around here to choose from. Just got this set thrown in with some other parts the other day, time to look inside.

Not bad, smelled seriously of ancient gasoline turned to varnish, but all the screws came out OK, no broken tips, nothing worn out, nothing missing. It will work. Into the dip with you my little friends.

In the bottom of the dip bucket, I found all of the brass bits for another set of VM24.

Jets, screws, chokes, all of it. They've been in there at least a year, probably two.
            They are really clean, but somehow not very shiny.

This dip can is really old, I haven't done any carbs in a couple years, it was old then. The can is rusty and it leaks, it's fairly empty, and it's all black inside. How long is this stuff good, anyway? Maybe that's why the jets are not very shiny.

Comment

I have a carburator dip can that looks as if it turned to varnish itself. But I been cleaning old cast iron carbs from tractors. It stopped really working good after about 8 months. A new can proved wonders over the old stuff.

Comment

Maybe it's time, I'll see how it does on these.

Comment

Originally posted by GSScoobie View Post
                  Which engine had the nicest looking oil in it when you drained them?
                  Good question, the one with the broken bolts had black stuff on the oil window and on the drain plug.

That probably means oil changes were neglected at some point.

Comment

Put an engine in the frame, the one with the low compression.

If the transmission is good it's the best candidate for the 675 conversion.

Going to go with the 650 front end, it has better forks and brakes than the 550. Unfortunately the 650 has roller bearings, I don't have the correct race in the 550 frame.

I think a bearing supply place will have what I need?
                    What measurements will I need?
                    Anyone done this stuff?

Comment

Can't find the parts! All kinds of stuff missing.
                      Time to clean the garage. Found all kinds of stuff for it.
                      Got it up on the lift, that means it's the #1 priority now.

Now getting time to do it will be tough. Got to go to work. Then it's Christmas. Then it's next year. Bummer. Maybe I'll get it done by next Spring.

To be continued….

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Going to go with the 650 front end, it has better forks and brakes than the 550. Unfortunately the 650 has roller bearings, I don't have the correct race in the 550 frame.

I think a bearing supply place will have what I need?
                        What measurements will I need?
                        Anyone done this stuff?
                        Tom, what you need is the outer race that matches the 650 bearings that fits in the 550 neck

You could check the 650 races, but I'm thinking that neck is wider. A good machinist could whip you out a pair
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I will see what happens when the All Balls kit gets here. Also have the original races for the loose balls from the 550, but the balls are all chewed up, I can get replacements here locally. The 550 steering head leaves the fork tubes slightly closer together than the 650, need to find spacers and axles and stuff from the 550. There is also a wrecking yard chock full of GSes just down the road, should be able to find what I need.

Comment

All Balls kit arrived. Tires arrived. Mega order rom Boulevard is on the way, gaskets and everything. The only thing not there yet is me.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              The only thing not there yet is me.
                              Sounds like you have the same problem that I have.

I will be home Wednesday evening, how about you?

No contest on who travels farther to get home, though, you win that one, hands down.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X