Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally getting around to the 550/699 project....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, back to work.
    A little heat and a little hammering and the old ball bearing races came off, fairly easily.

A little more heat to expand the frame, throw the races in the freezer, they both went in with just finger pressure.

All good so far.

The lower bearing is giving me a problem. Put the triple in the freezer, good and cold, warm the bearing up somewhat, slide it on and it got stuck hard. About 6mm or so up from where it needs to be.

Damn the bad luck.

Off to Harbor Fright. I always wanted one of these presses anyway….

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Sorry I only had plastic baseball bats, so the press will have to do.

Man this thing is great. It took zero effort, the bearing just slides right on, no trying to go crooked or anything.

I should have bought one of these a long time ago.

Comment

I'm aboard!
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I'm bored too.
          Back to the shop!

Comment

I might just send you my triple tree to get that one back on when I'm finally ready to do mine.
            sigpic
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I bet you can find a local with a press easier than shipping it, but I would be happy to do it if you get it here. It really only took a few seconds.

Comment

Pain in the butt… I don't want to buy any 550 boots as they will only be on there a little while until the 650 thing happens. Found the softest set of carb boots in the bins, put in new o rings and some Astroglide and the carburetors went on with some extra persuasion, but the air box boots are hard as a rock. This part sucks, especially on the 550.
                Maybe a hairdryer will soften them up a little tomorrow.

Finding little bits and pieces, sorting the best set of foot pegs, brake levers, putting things together as I find them. It is starting to resemble a motorcycle.
                All of the front sprockets are worn, the rear one is OK. One of the old chains is good. I know I need to buy this stuff, but just want to ride it a bit to see which ratio I want before buying the good new stuff.

Maybe the stock 550 ratios will be good with the bigger engine. Maybe an extra tooth or two in the rear. Need to ponder this a bit .

What ratios have you other 550/650 guys used?

Comment

I think I need to tune into this one Tom.

Is this the same engine configuration Suzuki Don did? That looked very cool... mind you I haven't seen him around in a long time...
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

His was 699cc, my first one will be 673 or whatever the stock 650 pistons works out to.
                    Otherwise the same.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      His was 699cc, my first one will be 673 or whatever the stock 650 pistons works out to.
                      Otherwise the same.
                      Cool... will tag along for the fun
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Got to several dead ends today.

#1 No 32mm socket for the front sprocket. I need the sprocket off the engine that has the top end removed, the others are shot.. I had one a few years ago…..

#2 The air box just isn't going to happen. Boots are too hard and too small.
                        No big deal, I'll just throw a rag over the intakes for the test rides.

#3 Front wheel bearings, took them out a year or so ago, they were shot. Rode down to the local neighborhood bearing shop, THEY ARE GONE!!! WTF?? Moved to another town 20 miles away, way too cold to ride that far in just a light jacket, that sucks for me.

#4 With no air box, there is no place to hang all of the electrical doodads, they are all mounted to the air box on this model. Just have to make up a little plate like the bigger GSes have.

At least it is starting to resemble a motorcycle now.

In other news, almost dropped the whole works off the table trying to get the rear up high enough to put the wheel on. Doh!

Comment

Looking good Tom
                          sigpic
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I don't know how you get ANY cooking done in that kitchen.

Comment

Actually there is a microwave on top of the fridge in the corner. The fridge is full of bike parts, but the microwave still works except for the digital display.

Comment

The fridge is full of bike parts
                                Now THAT is a shame. It should be full of frosty beverages.
                                Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2012, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X