Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally getting around to the 550/699 project....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well for now it will hold with the red Locktite and the 17.5 ft. lbs torque. Not going to ride it for a month anyway, going to work for a while. Before I do the next engine I'm going to find out what bolts work the best and what torque spec to use, and I'll change them on this engine as well..

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

yep. It was close for you. Also glad you did not ruin everything. These engines are undestructibles..
      About plug chops? You did not and rode it?

I rode mine also, with 162.5 / 160 mains. Again, a flat spot between 3000 and 5000 rpm but after, ready to take off. But I also had an issue with my super viton valve seals, bought on ebay. I have a lot of smoke at the exhaust, even when idling and when the engine is hot, and a wet #4 black plug.... Oil leaking there.... I can put my finger on the intake valve stem and feel the oil leaking along the stem.... I disassembled the head yesterday and ordered brand new and genuine suzuki valve seals. Other lesson for me: always buy genuine seals....

Comment

Did a bunch of plug chops earlier, when I first got it running, and again today. Plugs look great, except #2 is richer than the others. More so at low power, running harder #2 is almost the same, just a tiny bit richer. Full throttle they all look good, all just a little bit gray, and #2 is a tiny bit grayer, or maybe it's tan. Taupe? I dunno but it looks good enough for now. Probably have the float level a little bit high or something. No flat spots anywhere, pretty much gets up and moves at any RPM. At about 9,000 it is pulling very hard, impressive even. Haven't taken it much past 10,000 yet, but there's no sign of it slowing down, although it does not have that uber high RPM kick like a 550 with 550 cams.

Comment

ok thanks a lot for your feedback! I think I'm fine also, I forgot I use 550 cams so there will always be a flat spot around 4000rpm

Comment

Glad you dodged that one Tom! Sounds like she's a blast to ride and you're gonna have a hell of a lot of fun!
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Time to sell some leftover 550 and 650 parts.....

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Time to sell some leftover 550 and 650 parts.....
                I need some '79 rear brake pistons.
                #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

I have those....

Comment

Sent you a PM.
                    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Hey Tkent, how are you? About your 699 project? I continued, running mine this winter, solved all the oil issues. Now the bike runs well, even (almost) with the jetting. I am currently on the last notch with needles, cut the springs a bit, and with 162.5 - 165 - 165 - 162.5 mains. The bike runs well, from idle to full rpm range. But - I can find, now, after few km done, that the bike wants more / can do more with bigger mains. I can feel that the bike looses a liiiiiiiiitle power on mid range when I do wot.. . Moreover, I did some plug chops at wot and thre porcelain is still a bit white. Even for the #2 and #3 cylinder (165 mains). I got the opportunity to get mikuni 170 mains. I will try putting 170 mains everywhere and see how it happens. I think you where right, those swaps are incredible... pay attention I have open velocity stacks and a full open 4/1 header and ported head....

Comment

Doing fine, the bike is good. The 675cc version is a completely different animal than the stock 550, way more fun to ride, more capable everywhere. I think the 740cc version will be better. The problem is the 675 is good enough that making it better isn't a high priority.
                        Bought the parts, but been too busy working to find time to tear it down to do it again.
                        I really should get around to it, shouldn't take more than a day or so to swap cylinders and pistons.....

Comment

Do you have any pictures of the finished bike?
                          1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                          1977 GS550
                          1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Working...
                          X