Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally getting around to the 550/699 project....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
    Now THAT is a shame. I should be full of frosty beverages.
    No the beverages are in the other fridge, in the other garage, the one that's actually plugged in. If they were in the bike garage they wouldn't last very long.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      No the beverages are in the other fridge, in the other garage, the one that's actually plugged in. If they were in the bike garage they wouldn't last very long.
      And then you wouldn't get any bike work done
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Got something done today. That piece of metal for the electricals to hang out on. First a template to get the shape fitting right.

Fortunately there are some convenient mounting spots, for the air box which won't be there, and for the rear master cylinder mount, which won't be there either.

Next I need a suitable piece of metal, aluminum maybe, and just the right thickness. Let me see…

This will work. Don't tell my wife.

A little cutting and a little grinding, here it is.

Hey it fits!

Comment

OK, This will work. Main fuse in that inline fuse thing with the two red wires, a nice little fuse box for the different circuits, ignition, lights, whatever. Only problem is this bike only came with just one big fuse for everything. I'll have to figure out how to divide things up.

Going with the old 550 spoke wheels but with dual discs now, 650E forks and front brakes, trying out those Shinko Tourmaster 230s.

Same Shinkos on the rear. It will have Ikons or something on the back, but for now the stock shocks are holding the bike up just fine.

A lot of time and effort just figuring out which part came from which bike. Headlight buckets and ears, turn signals, switches and things. Found two wiring harnesses that I can combine to make one good one. More time and effort. Oh well, it beats Christmas shopping.

Last edited by tkent02; 12-20-2012, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Hey Tom she almost looks like a bike again!

I didn't bother with anything more than the one main fuse on the 450... if I ever do anything fancy like a custom harness though I'll change my mind on that.

And I can give a big thumbs up for Ikons if you go that path, love mine front and back!

sigpic

Comment

Love the innovation. But you live life on the edge taking from the wife. Your ears are gonna bleed.
              1983 GS1100E

Comment

Liking this so far Tom, great to see a mid-sized build with some creativeness and originality. Great job..Subscribed

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                  Liking this so far Tom, great to see a mid-sized build with some creativeness and originality. Great job..Subscribed
                  It's more throwing together what is laying around here than creativity, but thanks.

Comment

A lot of work to get it to the point of being a $100 barn find, but it's there.

Mostly there, anyway.

Lights, ignition, starter all works, engine turns, oil pressure light goes away.

Carbs are spewing gasoline all over the place, the fuel T in the center is the culprit. Still haven't gotten it running to check the transmission. There is another rack of carbs sitting here, as well as a few fuel Ts, but I'm running out of time.

Need another day or two...

Comment

Looking good Tom! I definitely like the wires on that too... paintwork looks good and love the colour also.

sigpic

Comment

Dang you are speedy.... Nice job!

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                          Looking good Tom! I definitely like the wires on that too... paintwork looks good and love the colour also.
                          I like the colors, definitely like the spokes, the paint is a bit on the rough side, I'll try a little wax but not expecting much improvement.

Dang you are speedy.... Nice job!
                          Thanks but I'm not speedy at all.
                          No, haven't done anything but find the pieces and bolt it together. It's still a 550. Haven't even gotten it running, haven't cleaned or rebuilt anything yet.
                          Nothing painted, nothing shined.
                          Not even started on the 650 upgrade.

Comment

Always liked the style and design of the 550e from that year. I actually have a 550 tail piece I have been waiting to use on something. Come to think of it I have tons of crap Ig oing to maybe use some day..

Comment

Come to think of it I have tons of crap Ig oing to maybe use some day..
                              That's about it so far, just bolting together a bunch of crap that's been kicking around here for years getting in my way...

There's already some space freed up in the garage.

Room for another motorcycle……
                              No No No can't think that…
                              No not even Tom's skunk. It won't fit.
                              Ok, maybe just the skunk!!

Comment

Yes, I always like the lines of the 550. Nice to see you getting things together.

cg
                                sigpic
                                83 GS1100g
                                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                                X