Suzuki also botched the stator wiring??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki also botched the stator wiring??

Suzuki also botched the stator wiring by routing one leg up to the now discontinued head lamp switch. This needless wire path often overheats and damages the harness in the process. Do yourself a favor and rewire your charging system: run the stator wires directly into the R/R, make sure your R/R has a solid battery or frame ground point, and run the positive (power) R/R output either straight to the battery (with 20A fuse in-line) or though the regular fuse block after you check for resistance in the circuit and repair as needed.

R/R can someone explain this a little

In short, simply connect the three wires coming from the stator directly to the R/R, eliminating the unnecessary trip up and back to the headlight. You'll have two other wires from the R/R. Connect one to the negative battery post (with another connection from negative to a good frame ground), connect the other to the positive through a 20A fuse, or the fuse block.

Comment

R/R = regulator/rectifier

Comment

Up until the '79 models, you were allowed to turn your headlight ON or OFF, as you saw fit. Then, the Feds stuck their noses in to make things "safer" for us, requiring the headlight to be ON at all times the bike was in operation. Different manufacturers chose different ways of making that happen.

The charging requirements varied rather widely, depending on the status of your headlight. Suzuki chose to run one of the three stator wires up to a second set of contacts in the headlight switch, so when you turned the headlight OFF, you also reduced the charging capacity by eliminating one of the three charging phases of the stator.

When the lights were later required to be ON at all times (at least in the US market), there was no need to have the stator wires run all the way to the headlight switch, so Suzuki changed the sub-harness to provide a short loop to re-direct the stator wire back down the harness to the R/R (Rectifier/Regulator). Other world markets still retained a functioning headlight switch, so only the sub-harness was changed.

That extra loop of wire consists of a connector at the stator wire, another connector (under the tank or in the headlight bucket), the short loop, another connector, then finally the connector to the R/R. Since there are three interfaces at each connector (wire to terminal, terminal to mating terminal, mating terminal to wire), you can see that there are TWELVE possible places for corrosion to affect the connections just in that one wire. By eliminating that extra loop by routing all three stator wires directly to the R/R, you will eliminate nine of those possibilites, making your charging system that much more reliable.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Okay. .

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Up until the '79 models, you were allowed to turn your headlight ON or OFF, as you saw fit. Then, the Feds stuck their noses in to make things "safer" for us, requiring the headlight to be ON at all times the bike was in operation. Different manufacturers chose different ways of making that happen.

The charging requirements varied rather widely, depending on the status of your headlight. Suzuki chose to run one of the three stator wires up to a second set of contacts in the headlight switch, so when you turned the headlight OFF, you also reduced the charging capacity by eliminating one of the three charging phases of the stator.

When the lights were later required to be ON at all times (at least in the US market), there was no need to have the stator wires run all the way to the headlight switch, so Suzuki changed the sub-harness to provide a short loop to re-direct the stator wire back down the harness to the R/R (Rectifier/Regulator). Other world markets still retained a functioning headlight switch, so only the sub-harness was changed.

That extra loop of wire consists of a connector at the stator wire, another connector (under the tank or in the headlight bucket), the short loop, another connector, then finally the connector to the R/R. Since there are three interfaces at each connector (wire to terminal, terminal to mating terminal, mating terminal to wire), you can see that there are TWELVE possible places for corrosion to affect the connections just in that one wire. By eliminating that extra loop by routing all three stator wires directly to the R/R, you will eliminate nine of those possibilites, making your charging system that much more reliable.

Hi everyone I've read as much as I can about bypassing this wiring loop
          - I'm looking at my GS850 bike right now -
          I have four (3 yellow - 1 red) wires coming from the Regulator Rectifier
          Three (black) wires coming from the stator.

Current setup:
          Black Stator wire is going into the harness connected to White/Green
          Red R/R wire is connected to Red Harness wire
          Yellow R/R wire is connected to Red/white Harness wire

If I'm reading correctly I
          Disconnect White / Green wire
          Connect yellow R/R wire to Black Stator wire

Which leaves me with two un terminated connections in the harness (white/red) and (white/green)
          What do I do with these two?

Any clarification would be appreciated

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by djbakedpotato View Post

Which leaves me with two un terminated connections in the harness (white/red) and (white/green)
            What do I do with these two?

Any clarification would be appreciated

Thanks!

The simplest thing to do with them is to ignore them

Comment

As posplayr stated. Ignore those two wires. They simply loop back to each other and are not connected to anything else.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Headlight switch, the first few years all Suzuki did was put a little plastic bump in the bottom of the headight switch, so it couldn't move. I have always shaved off the little bump, because I like to turn the headlight off sometimes. I leave the stator loop up to the switch in place, for the same reason Suzuki did it in the first place. With the headlight off, the stator has to shunt too much power if all three wires are used.

If you have a series regulator, there is no need to do this.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Headlight switch, the first few years all Suzuki did was put a little plastic bump in the bottom of the headight switch, so it couldn't move. I have always shaved off the little bump, because I like to turn the headlight off sometimes. I leave the stator loop up to the switch in place, for the same reason Suzuki did it in the first place. With the headlight off, the stator has to shunt too much power if all three wires are used.

If you have a series regulator, there is no need to do this.
                  If you keep spraying the contacts with Deoxit so they do not oxidize, heat up and melt plastics then you can get away with "how suzuki designed it".

Comment

Yeah, that's been working for me for about forty years. Clean the contacts every twenty years or so whether it needs it or not.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Yeah, that's been working for me for about forty years. Clean the contacts every twenty years or so whether it needs it or not.
                      You also have a very low hunidity there as well No?

Comment

Here is what happens if you leave it:
                        sigpic
                        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                        1983 GS1100e
                        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                        1980 GS1260
                        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                        X