Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki GT750 Water Buffalo Smoker Modified

1976 Suzuki GT750 Some Assembly Required

I grew up riding two strokes down on the farm in Indiana. It all started with dirt bikes of course, Yamaha, Husky, Bultaco and many others. My first street bike a 1976 RD200 Smoker came in a box that my grandfather had gotten in a trade. My dad and I put that bike back together during the winter when I was 12 years old. By spring I dreamt of nothing more than getting on that bike and cruising the country back roads. Once the RD was sorted I did just that, often.

Fast forward, to my 19th summer in 1989 I found a 1972 GT 750 Buffalo in a barn with 60,000 miles showing and bird droppings two inches thick. Yeah, it was the rare hot pink/purple with white stripes model that sported the drum front brakes. After negotiating a $125.00 price with the farmer I hauled the bike home and hosed it off. After a good cleaning, flushing and points adjustment the old GT fired up. I continued on with painting the GT metallic mid-night blue, adding a cafe fairing, jetted carbs, filters and expansion chambers. I pretty much unknowingly ruined a future classic!!! But this was my first real venture into modified bikes. Little did I know the disease had settled deep into my bones.

I road that GT until I found my 82 GS1100 the next summer. Consequently, the poor GT ridden infrequently sat until I decided to sell it when I was moving out west. The GS1100 became my canvas and is still with me to this day. Fast forward again to 2012 my 43rd summer a good friend of mine contacts me about selling his unfinished project 1976 Suzuki GT 750. My friend and I came to an agreement and I hauled the non-runner home 18 hours round trip to Indiana from Georgia.

After roughly 120 hours of assembly, rewiring, adding electronic ignition, countless hours of carb testing, tuning, painting, polishing, buffing and general bonding I have a fantastic running and thoroughly beta tested GT750. NOT STOCK! The GT became my ride of choice this summer among the Ducatis, Triumphs, Suzukis, and Hondas in my garage. This bike just pushes all of my motorcycling hot buttons, although it is a noisy hot rod and completely impractical.

The smoker made its maiden road trip to the 2012 Indianapolis Moto GP where it lapped the track in all its smokey glory. At the Cycle World Rolling Concourse the GT750 was a hit evident by the thumbs up and crowds it drew. Editor Mark Hoyer Published a rolling photo of the Buffalo on the Cycle World Magazine Face Book page, perhaps the best compliment this Smoker could ever receive.

Not bad for another dubious project two-stroke. Unfortunately, this time I not only managed to ruin a perfectly good GT750, but also contributed to the demise of (at least partially) one Suzuki RE5 that donated its parts to make the Buffalo Smoker Cafe come to life.

Suzuki GT 750 Cafe Build List:
    Frame up Resto
    150 PSI Hi Comp fully built motor
    Copper Head Gasket
    GSXR Rear swing arm
    Hayabusa Front forks and triples
    Busa 17” Wheels with 6” rear
    Tokico 6 pot Brakes
    Braided lines
    KYB Shocks
    New wiring harnesss
    GS 1100E Head Light
    Newtronic Ignition
    Keihin Oval Slide Carbs
    Custom 3 pot fuel rail
    Jemco Pipes
    Performance Machine Wheels (Bling)
    Tarozzi Custom Rear Sets
    Suzuki RE5 Tank
    Custom RE5 tail
    Custom seat pan & seat
    Paint: PPG Blue metal flake

Winter plans include custom digital dash with integrated GPS.

Morning Mist

Carb Bank

Indianapolis Moto GP 2012 Cycle World Rolling Concourse

Back End

Rear Wheel

Indy

Cycle World Rolling Concourse
    Last edited by viperg; 12-09-2012, 02:14 PM.
    1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Nice work im a big fan of 2 strokes .i have a 1987 lt500 in a 1986 lt250 frame and riding it is insane.

Comment

I love how that bike looks low to the ground. Like a prowling cat...

That, or you're really tall...

Comment

Some videos and sound clips.

Ripping in the country:
        1976 Suzuki GT750 Bad Buffalo Ripping thru the Indiana countryside with Jemco Pipes and Keihin Oval slide Carbs. Modified high compression motor, Hayabusa fr...

On Board acceleration:
        On Board the Buffalo for a Ride. Listen to the Jemco's scream! 1976 Suzuki GT750 Custom Cafe. Full frame up build with Built high compression motor, Jemco Pi...

Walk Around Start up and Revving:
        1976 Suzuki GT750 Custom Cafe. Full frame up build with Built high compression motor, Jemco Pipes, Keihin 34mm Oval Slide Carbs, Newtronic Ignition, Custom f...
        1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

Thanks. I purchased 2/3 of that bike (T500) brand new in 1973. Great bikes.
          Nice mods, btw.

Comment

I like the huge headlight. A lot of work has gone into that one, it does you credit.
            I've got a GT750 and I've never really got on with it. Its ok for putting about on I suppose, and I like the smell of it.
            sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by wkmpt View Post
              I love how that bike looks low to the ground. Like a prowling cat...

That, or you're really tall...
              I am 6 feet tall. The Buffalo went on a diet and lost about 100 pounds during its transformation. I have not measured the seat height yet but I will. The bike feels and looks little for a 750. The modern suspension and running gear with 17" wheels make it handle like a modern bike and look really low. Actually, I have not had any clearance problems or drug any parts while using all of the Michelin Pilot Powers outer grip.

Comment

Very nice build. Great attention to detail. You must come north to Michigan for a visit/ride. You are not very far away from me in Manchester Mi. I have a friend that has 7 kettles & an RE5. I have FANTASTIC riding in the Irish Hills Area here near MIS. Cheers, John

Comment

Excellent job there chief, everything about it looks right. It's a such a welcome change from the multitude of ugly, half azzed efforts.
                  Thanks for posting and brightening my day!
                  -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

That is exceptional work! What did you use for the headlight mount?

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                      That is exceptional work! What did you use for the headlight mount?
                      Thanks guys!

A machined steal "C" bracket on the fork tubes with T-6 overlay to hold it all together and provide a clean mount for the turn signal. The peg brackets and the battery tray Grill (behind the carbs) are all one off pieces made by my friend Tim that had the buffalo before me. I am considering making all of the mounting hardware powder coat black to give it a clean subdued look.

Battery Grill with fuel rail and rear set mounts

Before Body Work wet sanding and good shot of the Head Light ears

Comment

THAT is a beautiful bike.
                        '80 GS1000ST
                        '92 ZX-11
                        Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

I like that. Is it peppy?
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                            I like that. Is it peppy?
                            Pretty peppy in my estimation! It runs dead even with my modified 90hp Ducati. Judge for yourself by the videos and let me know what you think.

Ripping in the country:
                            1976 Suzuki GT750 Bad Buffalo Ripping thru the Indiana countryside with Jemco Pipes and Keihin Oval slide Carbs. Modified high compression motor, Hayabusa fr...

On Board acceleration:
                            On Board the Buffalo for a Ride. Listen to the Jemco's scream! 1976 Suzuki GT750 Custom Cafe. Full frame up build with Built high compression motor, Jemco Pi...

Walk Around Start up and Revving:
                            1976 Suzuki GT750 Custom Cafe. Full frame up build with Built high compression motor, Jemco Pipes, Keihin 34mm Oval Slide Carbs, Newtronic Ignition, Custom f...

Comment

30? years ago, i had a set of modified Denco pipes on a Buffalo.
                              Still love that chamber music!
                              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                              X