No announcement yet.

RIP Tom Murphy, aka TomMLC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So sorry to hear of Tom's passing.I,also, did not have the privelege of meeting and knowing him but all I ever read is that he was one of the good guys. My condolences to the family. It is such a sadness when one so young is taken before his prime.

Rest in peace Tom.

Spyug.

Comment

Rest in peace my friend. What a man he was. I sure do miss him. Here's a picture of him at top of a ridge in California a few years back.

You are already missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
        Tom is a friend I never got to spend enough time with. I met him too late and we lived too far apart. I first met him as I was arriving for the Suzuki rally at Yosemite. A few miles before the campsite I caught up to him traffic and saw his "TOM MLC" license plate for the first time. It was a hot day, traffic was heavy and after two long days in the saddle I was tired. Never having been to Yosemite before and not really knowing where I was going it was a relief to see someone who did. When I pulled up to the park gate beside him the pavement was a little uneven and my bike heavy with gear. It looked like I was going to topple over and Tom just calmly reached out and with slight nudge made sure that wasn't going to happen. I discovered later these 2 things that happened in the first 10 minutes of meeting Tom is what he was all about. Being a leader and giving a helping hand when needed. We met again at the Mt. Shasta rally where he proved again that this was who he is. Godspeed my friend, you made a difference here and will be missed by many.

Sandy,
        That is a great picture to remind us of Tom. He was a special guy always going out of his way to help and a great group leader.

At the Shasta rally I blew my chain off on the day the rest of the group went on the goat trail to Happy Camp. Tom went and got BigT's trailer and drove me all the way back to Redding. Probably a 200 mile round trip from north of Mt Shasta while we were missing out on the ride.

Anyway we spent the day together and had lunch before heading back to meet the rest of the group.

I'm sure he is in a better place now, and it just reminds of of how fragile life is. He and I are about the same age.

RIP Tom.

Boys in Black; Tom is second from right. Sept 18, 2011

Last edited by posplayr; 01-19-2013, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          Sandy,
          That is a great picture to remind us of Tom.
          Huh.....I just cracked a frosty Coors before opening this thread. Heres to you Tom. Never met the guy but I know we coulda shared a laugh. My Niece had a baby boy today. Circle of life. Peace to his Family and Friends.....
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Good guy

I only got to talk with Tom by PM during the bike raffle. He seemed like a good guy. I will keep a good thought for his family.

RIP

Comment

Godspeed, Tom.

I was lucky enough to meet Tom a couple times and also ride with him. We first met at Bruce's 2007 Yosemite Rally. He was a great guy and I am deeply saddened by his departure. Prayers and condolences to his family and fiends.

Here are a couple pics to help remember him:

With the Red Hot Rod near Bruce's house:

Group pic at Glacier Point. From left to right, Ken, Tom, Bill, me, Dan, Kent, Bruce:

As Scott said earlier, give Dave Davis and Tina Wasserott big hugs from all of us and have all the good roads scouted so we can all go for rides when we join you.

Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

RIP Tom, I met you at this same rally. a truly intelligent and kind person, you will be missed.
                -Justin

Comment

My condolences and prayers to all that knew Tom. I never met him myself, but I did hear about his struggle. Eric Bang also sends a fairwell and best wishes to all that knew Tom. Here is a photo he asked me to share.

God Speed Tom
                  GSRick
                  No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                  Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

RIP, Tom.

I was privileged to have had the chance to speak with you the night before you went back to the hospital, and your grace and strength of character projected right through the phone.

You went out of your way to express how much you felt and appreciated the support of your GSR family, and though I didn't know at the time how quickly you'd leave us, I expressed how much of an inspiration you'd been to us. You will be missed, but never forgotten!

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                      My condolences and prayers to all that knew Tom. I never met him myself, but I did hear about his struggle. Eric Bang also sends a fairwell and best wishes to all that knew Tom. Here is a photo he asked me to share.

God Speed Tom
                      I remember meeting Tom at Bruce's rally. I could tell immediately he was one of those genuine people that you just can't help but like, the kind of person you refer to as 'he's just a really nice guy'. It was later that day, quite a bit later that day, that Tom's fuse went for his headlight while a handful of us were heading back to Bruces. 10 mins later we scavenged a fuse from somone's bike (mine I think) and we were back on the road. We noticed on the way back from there, which was still a couple of hours or more to Bruce's that his light was so dim we couldn't figure out how he could possibly even see the road so we took turns riding with him, one behind and one beside when the road allowed, lol. At one point as we neared Bruce's as it was just me behind him I shut off my light to see just how dim it was, lol, almost pitch black! Back at Bruce's we all laughed over beers ,and pizza I think, about the wrenching on the side of the highway in the pitch dark and our good resourcefulness and the journey home then Tom yelled out "who the heck was behind me and put us into darkness!" We all had a good laugh and finished with us poking Tom over having a light so dim and his rebutle of "well I never knew my light was that bad because I'm not dumb enough to ride in the dark!". It's a good memory of a good person and I consider myself lucky to have met him. My condolences to all of his family and friends as their loss can only be described as unbearable. Indeed a sad day for our GS family.
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I'm riding up to Los Gatos to see Tom. Anyone care to join me?
                        His viewing is on Tuesday from 12-3.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

My condolences to Tom's family and friends. I never had the fortune to meet him, but by all accounts a great guy.
                          1982 GS1000S Katana
                          1982 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                            Tom is a friend I never got to spend enough time with. I met him too late and we lived too far apart. I first met him as I was arriving for the Suzuki rally at Yosemite. A few miles before the campsite I caught up to him traffic and saw his "TOM MLC" license plate for the first time. It was a hot day, traffic was heavy and after two long days in the saddle I was tired. Never having been to Yosemite before and not really knowing where I was going it was a relief to see someone who did. When I pulled up to the park gate beside him the pavement was a little uneven and my bike heavy with gear. It looked like I was going to topple over and Tom just calmly reached out and with slight nudge made sure that wasn't going to happen. I discovered later these 2 things that happened in the first 10 minutes of meeting Tom is what he was all about. Being a leader and giving a helping hand when needed. We met again at the Mt. Shasta rally where he proved again that this was who he is. Godspeed my friend, you made a difference here and will be missed by many.

Thanks for sharing the memories. Keep them coming. it helps!

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                              I remember meeting Tom at Bruce's rally. I could tell immediately he was one of those genuine people that you just can't help but like, the kind of person you refer to as 'he's just a really nice guy'. It was later that day, quite a bit later that day, that Tom's fuse went for his headlight while a handful of us were heading back to Bruces. 10 mins later we scavenged a fuse from somone's bike (mine I think) and we were back on the road. We noticed on the way back from there, which was still a couple of hours or more to Bruce's that his light was so dim we couldn't figure out how he could possibly even see the road so we took turns riding with him, one behind and one beside when the road allowed, lol. At one point as we neared Bruce's as it was just me behind him I shut off my light to see just how dim it was, lol, almost pitch black! Back at Bruce's we all laughed over beers ,and pizza I think, about the wrenching on the side of the highway in the pitch dark and our good resourcefulness and the journey home then Tom yelled out "who the heck was behind me and put us into darkness!" We all had a good laugh and finished with us poking Tom over having a light so dim and his rebutle of "well I never knew my light was that bad because I'm not dumb enough to ride in the dark!". It's a good memory of a good person and I consider myself lucky to have met him. My condolences to all of his family and friends as their loss can only be described as unbearable. Indeed a sad day for our GS family.
                              Great story! Yes, I know Tom always told us he never rode in the dark, or in the wet and never used his back brake.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                                I'm riding up to Los Gatos to see Tom. Anyone care to join me?
                                His viewing is on Tuesday from 12-3.
                                I will be there but then I live just 10 miles away. Not sure if I am riding. Would love to meet you and other friends of Tom so let me know what time. My cell is 408-426-1663.

Comment

Working...
                                X