No announcement yet.

RIP Tom Murphy, aka TomMLC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just saw this. RIP, Tom, my condolences to his family. He offered me a place to stay if I ever made it to the Bay area on any of my CA trips. he and I retired from the Navy at about the same time. I never really got to meet him in person, just on this forum. He really seemed to be a stand up guy.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
      I remember meeting Tom at Bruce's rally. I could tell immediately he was one of those genuine people that you just can't help but like, the kind of person you refer to as 'he's just a really nice guy'. It was later that day, quite a bit later that day, that Tom's fuse went for his headlight while a handful of us were heading back to Bruces. 10 mins later we scavenged a fuse from somone's bike (mine I think) and we were back on the road. We noticed on the way back from there, which was still a couple of hours or more to Bruce's that his light was so dim we couldn't figure out how he could possibly even see the road so we took turns riding with him, one behind and one beside when the road allowed, lol. At one point as we neared Bruce's as it was just me behind him I shut off my light to see just how dim it was, lol, almost pitch black! Back at Bruce's we all laughed over beers ,and pizza I think, about the wrenching on the side of the highway in the pitch dark and our good resourcefulness and the journey home then Tom yelled out "who the heck was behind me and put us into darkness!" We all had a good laugh and finished with us poking Tom over having a light so dim and his rebutle of "well I never knew my light was that bad because I'm not dumb enough to ride in the dark!". It's a good memory of a good person and I consider myself lucky to have met him. My condolences to all of his family and friends as their loss can only be described as unbearable. Indeed a sad day for our GS family.
      I remember that. Those I remember there with Tom included Paul, Mark, Connor and I, and you of course Rob. Not sure if Cliff was still with us or not. Tom was supposed to be riding point with our group but with his headlight woes couldn't lead the way. Being the only one with a GPS, I got the job of leading the group back to Bruce's. I remember looking in my mirror trying to figure out if I was dropping Tom behind me or his lights were just getting dimmer as we rode. It was really cold coming back over the Sierra's that night too!

My thoughts are with the family, a sad loss.

RIP Tom. One day we will ride again.
      It's smoke that make electronic components work.
      Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
      '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
      '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
      '82 GS1000SZ
      '82 GS1100GL
      '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

Eric asked me to post this picture. The text in quotes is his.

" When he and I were riding around Reno this past September.
        Tom is considering his next bike"

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
        1983 GS 750

Comment

I just saw this awful news, our great friend Tom has passed....i still can't belive it....I only saw him twice, first time at Bruce's GSR rallye in '11. then at our little outing in Paso Robles the same year. He was a great guy,always thoughtful and willing to help/take the lead. I know this first hand because at our Paso ride we ended up on this awful goattrail that seemed never going to end,so i got really ticked off, why we have to ride on this awful road,when we surrounded by beautyful wine country roads so i slowed to a crawl protesting it and got dropped by everybody. I thought they left me behind for good, when after about 20 min. who came back looking for me? Of course ,Tom!....He told me not to get discouredged, the goattrail ends soon and we will have a better road to ride on....His calm, authoritive demeanor calmed me down so by the time we caught up with the rest, i wasn't in a hurry to chop the guy's head off who lead us there.....thank you Tom,i will always miss you...Gabor
          Current bikes: '83 GPZ 750(shipped to Europe)and The one and only '81 GS 1000G,BOM 2/11.
          Past bikes: '84 MZ ETZ 250
          '84 Honda VFR 500
          '86 GSXR 750
          http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb362/caligs/

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post

... When he and I were riding around Reno this past September.
            " .. This .. past .. September . "

So just 4 months ago.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Tom's funeral service will be Feb. 8th. Not sure where (will be in the San Jose area) or what time yet. If anyone is intersted in going, let me know. I or littleroot will post up the time and location when we have it.
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Tom at the San Jose Vintage Motorcycle Show March 2011

Tom, like most of us, loved to show his bikes and of course his "trophy bike" was the real deal. He surprised me by taking his bike out for this event and I hussled over there to take a few pictures. I was really off my game and none of the pics really came out great except this one, which had nothing to do with the photographer and everything about Tom.

Last edited by Guest; 01-22-2013, 01:45 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Paying Respects

Chef Bill and I will be meeting at my house tomorrow to ride over and pay our respects to Tom at the viewing. If anyone is in the area and wants to join us we are meeting at my house in San Jose between 12:30 and 1 pm. My cell number is 408 828-5582 give me a call and I'll give directions.

Meanwhile here is picture of Tom in Yosemite at the 2011 Western States Rally. Notice how he towers over lesser man (Chef and Reno Bruce)

Comment

And for those who read Gabor's story below about how he fell behind on the "goat path" during the 1st Paso Robles Rally, only to be saved by Tom, here is photographic proof of Tom herding Gabor along to keep him up with the group.

And here is the man himself, doing what he did best

Comment

It was always a pleasure riding with Tom and I will certainly enjoy those memories, but the thing I'll remember most about him was what he would do for a friend. After my crash, when I was on my back for a few weeks in the hospital, Tom called to see how I was doing. At that point he was very ill and it cost him dearly just to move anywhere. Yet the day after his call, there he was in my room, visiting and trying to cheer me up. He was in the middle of the fight of his life yet he took time and energy to come to see me. I found that truly amazing and awe inspiring. But that was Tom, amazing and awe inspiring.

This is a picture of Tom and I on a Sunday ride we took last spring. We're at the top of Mt. Hamilton overlooking the Santa Clara (Silicon) Valley. He claimed if we looked hard enough we could see his house. Since he was rumored to sometimes carry a piece I certainly wasn't going to disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by macbec29 View Post
                        It was always a pleasure riding with Tom and I will certainly enjoy those memories, but the thing I'll remember most about him was what he would do for a friend. After my crash, when I was on my back for a few weeks in the hospital, Tom called to see how I was doing. At that point he was very ill and it cost him dearly just to move anywhere. Yet the day after his call, there he was in my room, visiting and trying to cheer me up. He was in the middle of the fight of his life yet he took time and energy to come to see me. I found that truly amazing and awe inspiring. But that was Tom, amazing and awe inspiring.

This is a picture of Tom and I on a Sunday ride we took last spring. We're at the top of Mt. Hamilton overlooking the Santa Clara (Silicon) Valley. He claimed if we looked hard enough we could see his house. Since he was rumored to sometimes carry a piece I certainly wasn't going to disagree.

Great stuff thanks for sharing

Comment

great story and picture Mark. Sounds like Tom was quite the fella, giving but not about to be taken
                          Rob
                          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

RIP Tom , I was lucky enough to meet and ride with him earlier this year. He couldn't have been a nicer guy and he will be missed.

Comment

And for those who read Gabor's story below about how he fell behind on the "goat path" during the 1st Paso Robles Rally, only to be saved by Tom, here is photographic proof of Tom herding Gabor along to keep him up with the group.

And here is the man himself, doing what he did best

Thx for this pic. Mark,i was looking for it for my little story and i couldn't find it.
                              Current bikes: '83 GPZ 750(shipped to Europe)and The one and only '81 GS 1000G,BOM 2/11.
                              Past bikes: '84 MZ ETZ 250
                              '84 Honda VFR 500
                              '86 GSXR 750
                              http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb362/caligs/

Comment

Well today Mark Macbec29 and I went to see Tom for the "viewing" and he was looking good in what I think the Navy calls the "dress whites". Lots of shirts and other items were resting beside him. I should let Mark say this but he said when looking at his hands and after seeing him work on bikes for years, they looked like at any moment they could reach up and grab a wrench! I felt the same. Tom's daughter, brother and parents were there with a few other friends and family. His wife Nami continues to cry and cry for him. She told me he looks like he could wake up at any minute. I heard their daughter may come up and live with Nami which is what Tom wanted: Either Nami to move to San Diego or Michelle to move to San Jose. Tom's mom said Nami would never leave the house so Michelle will just have to come up! And it looks like she will. Tom's brother Mike told me afterwards he was going to take Tom's red bike out for a spin. I told him to watch that front brake because it does not grab until the lever is nearly against the hand grip. He said he might change his mind and I said, hell I did 85 MPH on the freeway just a few weeks ago so it works, just got to be ready for it; just go a few feet and try it. I told him to call me if he has any questions at all. Tom's dad is of course also crushed and can still barely talk. Tom's mom on the other hand loves to talk about her son, as she would. She is just like Tom, she has his eyes of course, but also she is funny and salty. I hope many of you as possible can come out for the funeral service on February 8 and meet her.

Sorry for rambling, maybe I shared too many details but this is helping me.

-Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X