Oz GS1000 resto and GSX1100 cafe builds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oz GS1000 resto and GSX1100 cafe builds

Hey guys, i've been browsing the forum and using BikeCliffs site for a while now so i though i should get a build thread going and introduce myself. Ive recently bought a couple of projects that i hope will keep me busy for a while, a GS1000E and a GSX1100, both 1980 models.

My last road bike was a V-Rod which i sold a while back to finish renovations on my house, i recently restored an 1985 75 series mid wheelbase Land-cruiser, and after I'd finished i decided a bike would be next on the list. I found this site before i bought the bikes and the stories and builds you guys have done definitely helped me decide on a GS suzi as my project....

Problem was, after checking out some of the cafe style projects on here i really wanted to build something in that style, and the GS1000 that i bought first up was pretty much a complete bike with quite low KMs (46,000) and it was just too good to chop and modify....so i bought the GSX which had no tank or fairings and was alot rougher than the GS.

So the plan is to restore the GS as per factory (or as close to as i can get). And cafe the GSX. Top end refresh for both of them is where im starting, compression was a little low but ok for both bikes after valve adjustments, but i have decided to do them both anyway as i plan to keep these bikes for quite some time.

Love browsing the forum and checking out other peoples builds, very inspiring, and BikeCliffs site is amazingly helpful. Again, the generosity of knowledge sharing here is what helped me decide to go GS...

And my first question, did some searching but couldn't find anything, does anyone know if the air box assembly is interchangeable for these two bikes? I was going to try anyway but i thought i could save my time if someone knows it won't work.

Cheers
    Nate.
    Last edited by blackhammer; 08-26-2013, 01:33 AM.

Nate B

welcome aboard
    the parts fiche show different numbers for gsx1100 and your 80 model gs1000et
    to look at theres not much diff in them
    if you get stuck i have bits like rear 1/2 of aircleaner no prob front id have to scrounge in the parts dept

ozman

ive gone out and out the gsx and 1000 side by side im stuffed if i can pick the difference in the air cleaners on them
    the carbs side is definatly the same,clamps and tube from carbs to airbox is same part number for both
    Last edited by Guest; 08-26-2013, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Thanks ozman, hopefully it fits, the gsx stuff is in excellent nick, picked up a nice looking tank from a smaller gsx 80s era tank last week for 50bucks, sandblasted it this afternoon and I thunk it will work ok with a change of mounts and some minor panel work to clear the frame. Maybe the tanks a bit small? Any thoughts

Nate B

Comment

any thoughts................. yup damm that tanks ugly
        my preference would be the GSX1100 19 litre tank nice shape

Comment

Originally posted by blackhammer View Post
          Thanks ozman, hopefully it fits, the gsx stuff is in excellent nick, picked up a nice looking tank from a smaller gsx 80s era tank last week for 50bucks, sandblasted it this afternoon and I thunk it will work ok with a change of mounts and some minor panel work to clear the frame. Maybe the tanks a bit small? Any thoughts

That's a 80/81 GS450/400 tank.Lots of builders seem to like them.I think they are ugly myself and I bought a new 81 400 anyway.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the thoughts, i actually kinda liked the high back and slightly smaller tank, the lager 1100 tank does look good though, might go see if the local wrecker will give me one of those for 50$ too

Nate B

Comment

Hey Nate, glad to see another Aussie.

That tank is very popular with the cafe crowd and unlike everyone else I like mine

However, I have an '82 450 and it's the stock tank

Keen to see how you go with these!
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Hey Pete, just checked out your build thread, amazing job mate. Hope i can do half as good a job.

Yeh, my initial feel for the tank was i liked it, unsure if i'll use it just yet tho, i might look at some other options like the larger tank ozman suggested. Decision decisions

Nate B

Comment

Cheers Nate, pretty happy with how the 450 turned out. It's no show pony but is definitely a reliable daily rider and doesn't too bad in the twisties following the Kat boys... bit hard keeping up when they open the throttle though!

On the 1000 the 450 tank does look a little odd, and the shape on the tank Ozman posted up is probably a better solution.

The 450 tanks definitely work better on smaller bikes, have even seen one on a Honda and a Yammie!

sigpic

Comment

A better option perhaps?

Nate B

Comment

thats the 24 litre tank it looks ok but i prefer the slimmer shape of the 19 litre tank i posted in pic

ozman

Comment

24l off a 750 right? The 19l is proving difficult to find. Thinking of fabricating one out of the 450 tank. Or maybe adapting another make altogether.
                        Last edited by blackhammer; 08-28-2013, 08:45 AM.

Nate B

Comment

For what you're attempting, that one is probably a bit too bulky and the one Ozman posted up is definitely a better shape, but I'm sure there are other alternatives out there too...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blackhammer View Post
                            24l off a 750 right? The 19l is proving difficult to find. Thinking of fabricating one out of the 450 tank. Or maybe adapting another make altogether.

shoot me a pm or email me gs1000sr@hotmail.com , the 19 litre tank i posted pic of is a spare i have

Comment

So an update on the bikes,

Much thanks has to go to ozman so far, without his advice and willingness to chat for hours with me about these bikes i'd be struggling, so thanks Steve.

Picked up 2 more GS's, a 78 1000E with a seized motor that im pondering what to do with at the moment and an 80 1000S, got a bunch of parts with the bikes, 2 sets of 36 spoke 750 wire wheel hubs and great Suzi shim kit, bunch of other semi useful bits, too much to list.

I concentrated on the GSX as it was running well when i first got it...little did i realize.......

Redid the wiring loom and put 1000E guages on the GSX, cleaned everything up as the main fuses were heating up a bit, put a 530 chain on and cleaned up the carbs, then thought i'd best check valve clearances and thats when all good news ceased.

Timing was out one tooth and cam chain was pretty loose. Rocker cover had some pretty bad scoring from what i guess was the loose chain, although the chain showed no signs of damage, perhaps it had previously let go before and the motor been rebuilt? i thought hopefully....

Then i noticed end cam bearing on no1 piston intake looked a little funny...too much gap...oh dear....bad feeling when i discover cap bolts are only finger tight.
                              Off it comes and so i say goodbye to the head....pic below tells the story.

so currently looking at a couple of complete motors to swap in... cant seem to find a head here in OZ for a reasonable price...
                              one of the motors ive found is an 83 1100...but its missing its starter, clutch(+cover) and rotor/generator(+cover)
                              trying to find a large taper rotor of an 83 1100 or 1150 motor and wondering if i can use my starter+clutch+stator and covers off my 80 1100.

Nate B

Comment

Working...
                              X