Sunday Brackets at Union Grove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here is what rte 66 looks like

all 4 gears like a champ. - thanks for the video.

DSC00042_zpskgzzojxn.jpg photo of me warming up ' 'ol silver -- the video I posted is me against Bruce Damewood 1st event 1st round .021/.023 reaction times - we were almost even from the start - I got to 1000' and took a look blipped the throttle - he was coming on strong so I opened the throttle back up and it was a race for the stripe - .001 to my advantage -- wha-shoo that was a close one.
    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Great video. I hope to see a 1/4 mile under me in the future...
      Curt
      sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Da-Grove is racing brackets at 1/8 th this year - bikes and cars mixed together 2 classes top(box) and Mod (no box) I am in 6th place -- rte 66 is full 1/4 and I am in 7th. dropped from 4th after a relay malfunction - bad day. Delay boxes are not easy to use and crossover function is necessary with crosstalk enabled.
        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

That should be interesting. More competition but a bigger purse I imagine... Good luck and have fun.
          Curt

Comment

Things are changing down here for me. Looks like I will be headed back north by the end of the year. Can't wait for cooler weather and friends to race with...
            Curt

Comment

Hey Curt,

We still need to set up that race.
              Picked up little something this weekend.
              Screenshot_2016-07-25-12-42-03-1.jpg

Comment

We will... I have to get back up north which should be by the end of the year. Next year Trip and I will load up and take a ride north. Nice trophy... I didn't know they sell them...He He.
                Curt

Comment

Curt,

I'll be ready for you guys. Thank you going to park that trophy next to the matching one I have. Sure like this bike.

Comment

Originally posted by sprout View Post
                    Hey Curt,

We still need to set up that race.
                    Picked up little something this weekend.
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]46751[/ATTACH]
                    Was that at Memphis where Trippivot was going? Good job! Those don't come easy.
                    sigpic
                    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                    1983 GS1100e
                    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                    1980 GS1260
                    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Thanks Bobgroger, I'm from Minnesota. Race track is called Grove Creek Raceway. 1/8th mile.

Comment

Union Grove Wisconsin. I remember it well. My first time there was in... (drum roll)... 1958. I bought my first bike from a guy who lived on the east west road a half mile west the track.

By 1961 four of us had a fuel dragster and belonged to the Top Twenty run out of house in Chicago where "The Greek" lived. Those were the days. After a year or so we switched from our overtaxed Chevy to the old 392 Hemi's and instead of wrenching between rounds we able to sit around and drink coffee and talk to the girls. Yes, young ladies came to the track and I got to know a couple.

The original track owners were Bob and Marge Metzler??? Broadway Bob then bought or ? the track.

I have some fond memories. Don Garlits (we bought two of his chassis when Connie Swingle for the welding) Art Arfons, Doug Rose, Ted Beilow, Arnie Beswick, Lyle Fisher, Chris Karimacides (sp) The Greek, Peter Farnworth, Jon Tunison, Dick Gelding, Bruce Andrews, Del Fisher, Roy Miller, Joe Mondello, Bud Jon and Don, Wes Cerney... there's a great story and on and on.

The only bike around was Elmer Trent??? "The Michigan Mad Man" with his Chevy powered bike - quite a show.

Thanks for the memories.

Comment

Doug, it sounds like you knew some of the heavyweights in the game.

I remember reading an article about The Michigan Madman EJ Potter with the V-8 Chevy bike. Crazy.

Elmer Trett was also a long time Top Fuel bike racer, out of Georgia i think.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

You're right Steve -about E.J Potter and Elmer Trett... old age is setting in even deeper. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Gents,

October 1, 2016 Great Lakes Dragaway will be the site of an AMA sanctioned, Chicago Norton Owners Club drag meet. This will be the first AMA drag race in almost 7 years. This meet is for gas bikes only and includes an 8.88 index class, a 9.50 index, 600 Super sport and open Supersport for street, track day and road race bikes, a no box drag bike bracket class and a no box street bike bracket class. These classes will run on the 1/4 mile and in addition there will be 3 exhibition classes that will run for trophies on the 1/8 mile: 0-250 dirt bike, Open dirt bike and Vintage Pushrod Twins. AMA membership is required and both full and one event memberships will be available at sign up. Gate fee for racers is $35 and entry fee is also $35 with a guaranteed minimum payback of 75% in each class for the 1/4 mile classes and entry fee of $20 for the 1/8 mile classes. All proceeds from entry fees above expenses and a donation to the Norton club treasury for providing their charter to obtain the sanction will go to charity.In addition there will be a peoples choice trophy for the vintage, classic or special interest bike that gets the most votes from all attendees. Links to the Great Lakes Dragaway site and to the supplementary rules for this event with full class descriptions are available @ americanmotorcyclist.com/Racing/Drag-Racing. Questions? Post them OR email me direct @ DJVAMA218@gmail.com My name is Jim and I am the AMA referee for this event. Come race with us on October 1st!

P.S. I can't seem to get the AMA site to link. Just type it in or copy & paste and it will take you to the AMA Drag Racing page with the links.
                              Last edited by Guest; 09-14-2016, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Coming back home from Texas on Sept 29. Barring any bad weather, I will try to get up there to spectate.
                                Curt

Comment

Working...
                                X