82GS750T - Seal, T/M Gear Shift Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82GS750T - Seal, T/M Gear Shift Oil

I recently went on a long ride (100 miles round trip) and found my left boot somewhat soaked with oil after 50 miles. I looked for the source of the leak and thought the oil pan gasket that was the culprit.

I removed the transmission cover and cleaned all the gunk in there to discover the leak is coming from the GEAR SHIFTING SHAFT where the WASHER and CIRCLIP keep the Seal, T/M Gear Shift Oil in place.

I'd like to replace items 29, 30, & 31 but my question is, how do I remove item 29?

Here is a somewhat clean picture of the area in question.

And here are 2 of the 3 items I need to replace. I think the washer isn't thick enough to keep a proper seal and the seal itself would need to be replaced.

I'm thinking I should probably drain the oil and then pull the seal out with needle nose pliers but I don't wanna damage anything. What do you guys suggest?

Any other parts I should consider replacing according to the fiche?

Ed
    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 12-19-2013, 12:25 AM.
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

it would be best to pull the shaft but..
    lean it to the right...a wall or something solid and pick the seal out.
    IMO from oil leaks on the lower left in the past...the counter shaft seal usually runs down and helps with the mess.
    also the neutral switch o-ring leaks(clean and silicone).

ADDED!!!
    be cool or else you will disengage the shift pawl/shaft that's behind the clutch basket...and that will open up a large can of worms as far as added parts and labor!
    Last edited by blowerbike; 12-17-2013, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
      it would be best to pull the shaft but..
      lean it to the right...a wall or something solid and pick the seal out.
      IMO from oil leaks on the lower left in the past...the counter shaft seal usually runs down and helps with the mess.
      also the neutral switch o-ring leaks(clean and silicone).

ADDED!!!
      be cool or else you will disengage the shift pawl/shaft that's behind the clutch basket...and that will open up a large can of worms as far as added parts and labor!
      Thanks for the feedback...yes, I don't wanna mess with the shaft portion of the gear. That would be terrible. What I plan on doing is using needle nose pliers to remove the seal. Of course, before I do that, I need to make sure I look at the seal to see how it fits into the slot. I'll be ordering (2) SEALS, T/M GEAR SHIFT OIL and see if they can be slowly inserted into place. I'll use a pipe with the same diameter as the seal and lightly hit it with a mallet. I will get as close to the outer portion of the seal so as not to damage the middle of the seal.

I'll post pics while I'm in LA if I get the parts in time before I come back to NM.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Well guess what I did...disengage the shift paw. That pin and washer keep the paw in place and I made the mistake of pushing it to see how the seal comes out. So now I won't be riding as I expected in LA. I'm bummed.

Ed
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

I bought the M370 Clymer "Manual GS750 Fours 1977-1982" today--getting delivered to LA; Thanks Z1Enterprises...3-Day UPS delivery.

Ed
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

It should be very easy to fix, unless the clutch cover gasket disintegrates.

Don't even have to drain the oil to do it.

Did the oil seal go in OK?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              It should be very easy to fix, unless the clutch cover gasket disintegrates.

Don't even have to drain the oil to do it.

Did the oil seal go in OK?
              Thanks tkent!

I'm gonna wait till I get to LA to tackle this task. I'm guessing the seal should be easy to remove once I remove the clutch cover. The clutch was rebuild when I bought the bike last year so...fingers crossed the gasket doesn't fall apart.

The manual should be at my mom's house by this Saturday...same day I arrive. More replies to come with pics!

Ed
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

you just center the teeth of the shaft and paw assy.
                that's it.
                yeah pushing on the shaft will let it disengaged and drop down...it happen's...

added
                take a plastic hammer and work on the clutch cover pretty good all over.
                the shock will help the gasket come loose and maybe not break or stick.
                Last edited by blowerbike; 12-18-2013, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Many Thanks

you just center the teeth of the shaft and paw assy.
                  that's it.
                  yeah pushing on the shaft will let it disengaged and drop down...it happen's...

added
                  take a plastic hammer and work on the clutch cover pretty good all over.
                  the shock will help the gasket come loose and maybe not break or stick.
                  I'll take pics of the clutch cover removed and see how the paw assy fits. I'm guessing the shaft will push right through when the cover is off and the SEAL should slide right off.

I feel better now knowing it isn't gonna be too difficult a task. Thanks for the pointers about the gasket. Time to hit Harbor Freight for a plastic hammer.

Ed
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                    I'll take pics of the clutch cover removed and see how the paw assy fits. I'm guessing the shaft will push right through when the cover is off and the SEAL should slide right off.

I feel better now knowing it isn't gonna be too difficult a task. Thanks for the pointers about the gasket. Time to hit Harbor Freight for a plastic hammer.

Ed
                    going off of memory...
                    the complete clutch basket assembly has to be removed for the shaft to come out far enough to get to the seal straight on.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post

Ed
                      Ed, if you have to get a new clutch cover seal, make sure you get a OEM gasket. There are some cut gaskets on Ebay that aren't OEM. I know I bought one and it wouldn't seal for crap. I bought a new OEM and no problems. Good luck on the repairs.
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I Won't Begin Work Till In LA

going off of memory...
                        the complete clutch basket assembly has to be removed for the shaft to come out far enough to get to the seal straight on.
                        I should have my Clymer's Manual by Saturday; I'll get started once I settle into my Mom's house. Pics to follow.

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                        Ed, if you have to get a new clutch cover seal, make sure you get a OEM gasket. There are some cut gaskets on Ebay that aren't OEM. I know I bought one and it wouldn't seal for crap. I bought a new OEM and no problems. Good luck on the repairs.
                        For some reason, I couldn't find the clutch cover gasket on BoulevardSuzuki's fiche otherwise I would have ordered it.

The clutch was rebuilt when I bought the bike so I'll do my best to gently remove the cover.

Ed
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Going To California

Loaded the bike with the help from a co-worker; thanks Kenny!

I left the cover off because I accidently put it in gear; I didn't want to hold the clutch in just to move her around.

I know, I know...the chain needs to be treated before I ride again. This bike needs a lot of things but she is safe to ride (at least I feel safe on her and that's what matters).

I'l also be replacing both brakes/pads/shoes while in LA. Right after I get this seal/clutch paw aligned without damaging the clutch cover gasket.

Ed
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Moar Fotos!!!!!

This time I borrowed a nice camera to get these pics!

Ed
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Clutch Cover Removal

Okay, so my Clymers Manual won't get here until this Friday (Holiday Schedule).

Tonite, I decided to remove the clutch cover as was suggested: tapping the cover lightly with a plastic hammer. I did that but then I thought, What if I remove the oil cap? Sure enough, as soon as I twisted it, pressure was released and the cover came off with the gasket intact.

I used a cardboard and my best diagram drawing to keep track of all the bolts because they are different sizes. Some oil drained out so gald I had the oil pan underneath. I replaced the cover until my parts & manual come arrive...hopefully this week but I'm not holding my breath.

Merry Christmas you guys/gals.

Ed
                              Last edited by GSXR7ED; 12-23-2013, 02:22 AM.
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X