82GS750T - Seal, T/M Gear Shift Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update - 4 June 2014

Scheduled 530 conversion this Saturday. I also have a new petcock to install. I would do the valve cover gasket but I received the wrong OEM gasket from my supplier. It's only the second time in a year something like this has happened.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
      Scheduled 530 conversion this Saturday. I also have a new petcock to install. I would do the valve cover gasket but I received the wrong OEM gasket from my supplier. It's only the second time in a year something like this has happened.

Ed
      Can't wait to see the pic so I can refer to it when I do mine.

For the petcock, make sure you have o-rings for the two bolts. I luckily had spares from my carb rebuild....

Comment

Scheduled MX

Originally posted by Hilvhendo View Post
        Can't wait to see the pic so I can refer to it when I do mine.

For the petcock, make sure you have o-rings for the two bolts. I luckily had spares from my carb rebuild....
        O-rings for the two bolts...I'm confused. I didn't see them on the fische otherwise I would have ordered them.

I swapped out the one I have from my parts bike and I've had no problems with the petcock.

Anyway...I will post pics. My new Galaxy S5 has an awesome camera.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Number 4 here: http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/...e350/fuel-cock
          They are sealing washers. Some on this forum have said that they can find them in hardware stores... none that I have been to yet though.
          So, I just bought a hundred of them from an on-line supplier.

Comment

Petcock

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
            Number 4 here: http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/...e350/fuel-cock
            They are sealing washers. Some on this forum have said that they can find them in hardware stores... none that I have been to yet though.
            So, I just bought a hundred of them from an on-line supplier.
            Hmmm...it's been a while since I changed out the petcock...and I installed everything back together as it was removed from my parts bike. I've had no problems with the petcock.

Thanks for the reference!

Ed
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Hey Ed,

I don't know the status of your valve cover gasket replcement but if you're still looking to do that you should consider getting a reusable one from RealGaskets.com. They make aviation grade gaskets and they offer motorcycle gaskets made of the same material. The cost is no more than an OEM. Yours would cost $27.50+S&H.

Here's a pic:
              rg-gs3000.jpg

This thread is a nice read. Good work on the bike. Keep it going; soon you'll be whipping out the cotton wheel and metal polish.
              Last edited by Guest; 08-22-2014, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
                Hey Ed,

I don't know the status of your valve cover gasket replcement but if you're still looking to do that you should consider getting a reusable one from RealGaskets.com. They make aviation grade gaskets and they offer motorcycle gaskets made of the same material. The cost is no more than an OEM. Yours would cost $27.50+S&H.

Here's a pic:
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]36019[/ATTACH]

This thread is a nice read. Good work on the bike. Keep it going; soon you'll be whipping out the cotton wheel and metal polish.
                A few GSR members have tried using the RealGaskets valve cover, they haven't worked out real good. Something about the construction or the material don't remember. They just leaked, they went back to OEM and no more leaks. RealGaskets was suppose to change make of the gasket, whether they have yet I don't know.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Also, the 2nd-gen 750 engine is very picky about valve cover thickness because the tach drive gear is in the valve cover. If it doesn't mesh just so with the exhaust cam shaft, the gear on the cam shaft gets eaten. Ask me how I know.
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

750 Valve Cover

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
                    Hey Ed,

Here's a pic:
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]36019[/ATTACH]

I purchased a gasket from BlvdSuzuki.com before I left Alamogordo and received the wrong one. Called them and they sent another but I didn't received it right away. I called and had another one UPS'd to me real quick. Next thing you know, the other one shows up...so now I have 2.

Both gaskets--cam chain/valve cover are in a box at home waiting for me to come back and replace them when I get a vacation break in Florida. I also have to order fork seals because the left side started to leak after my last ride to Roswell.

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                    A few GSR members have tried using the RealGaskets valve cover, they haven't worked out real good. Something about the construction or the material don't remember. They just leaked, they went back to OEM and no more leaks. RealGaskets was suppose to change make of the gasket, whether they have yet I don't know.
                    Good info Bill.

Originally posted by eil View Post
                    Also, the 2nd-gen 750 engine is very picky about valve cover thickness because the tach drive gear is in the valve cover. If it doesn't mesh just so with the exhaust cam shaft, the gear on the cam shaft gets eaten. Ask me how I know.
                    I'll take this into consideration once I R2 the valve cover.

Ed
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

looks like an impact gun would make short work out of that nut removal.

Comment

Impact

Originally posted by jbird7262 View Post
                        looks like an impact gun would make short work out of that nut removal.
                        Yes, that's what MrBill suggested to me.

For now, my bike is parked at home in Delaware. I'm currently working as a Contractor in Jacksonville, FL. I miss riding and I'm sure I will be rusty by the time I get all the maintenance done.

Ed
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

I think you should have left your T and a bunch of parts with me. I would have something to do lol.
                          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Adopted GS

I think you should have left your T and a bunch of parts with me. I would have something to do lol.
                            That would have been a good idea...but I wouldn't want you to do everything to it without me. I need to learn how to do it myself. You gave me the confidence to take care of the the work we did on her.

Thanks Bill...I'm still around here but not as frequent as when I was in Alamogordo.

Ed
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Oh okay, glad to see you are back. Flip the axle to the top of the springs instead of it being under the springs. It will lower it big time. You saw my trailer. I can load my bike by myself.
                              THREAD REVIVAL

Hey Bill,

Since I will be using my trailer soon, I wanna do as you suggest. I'll need to take my bike to the local motorcycle shop for some welding on the tail end. Lots to do!

Ed
                              Last edited by GSXR7ED; 03-22-2017, 06:23 PM.
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X