82GS750T - Seal, T/M Gear Shift Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally I ride in SoCal

I completed the Clutch re-install and just did a functional check on my bike: I'm happy to report everything is in working order!

Took a nice little jaunt on Baseline just west of Fontana. I went through the gears with ease and even 1st gear is easier to get into.

No leak on the gearshift side since I only went 2-3 miles. I am a happy Rider!

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Riding in LA...then not

Yep, I took a ride from the Inland Empire all the way out to Santa Monica then headed over to Dodger Stadium. Was gonna finish up at the Griffith Observatory until I had a break in my ride.

A view from Dodger Stadium

And the Gift Shop

Then a look at my Clutch Cable.

I'm gonna see if I can find one here is LA before I go sourcing one online. I'm very fortunate this didn't happen on the freeway. Made if home safely too.

Ed
      Last edited by GSXR7ED; 12-31-2013, 12:56 AM.
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Always something, just when you think your going to get it paid off.

I bet a spare cable could be tucked up under the seat.
        Hondas
        '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
        Suzuki
        '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
        Kaw
        '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Clutch Cable(s)

Originally posted by yasser View Post
          Always something, just when you think your going to get it paid off.

I bet a spare cable could be tucked up under the seat.
          Dude!

I'm looking for 1+ a spare cable today...hopefully Cycle Riders in Montclair has what I need. Maybe a braided brake line too!

Ed
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Update -31Dec2013

Yamaha of Cucamonga ordered me 2 clutch cables...they should be here by Thur/NLT Fri. I also removed the front brake line and bought a braided solid black line from G & J Aircraft in Montclair. I won't describe how the Dot 3 fluid looked from my bike but I'm glad I'm taking care of the front brakes...got new pads too!

Happy New Year!

Ed
            Last edited by GSXR7ED; 12-31-2013, 05:34 PM.
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Ed,

My current cable has a plastic/nylon cup or bushing over the metal knob at the handle. I never saw that before and thought it was a mistake. I think of it now as a smoother means to allow movement without a metal on metal contact. Now I sit here and wonder if it wore out yet, but too lazy to uncover the Suzi.
              Hondas
              Suzuki
              Kaw
              '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=GSXR7ED;1980400]Yep, I took a ride from the Inland Empire all the way out to Santa Monica then headed over to Dodger Stadium. Was gonna finish up at the Griffith Observatory until I had a break in my ride.

Ed, get a OEM cable. They seem to be the best and will last alot longer then anything else. I bought a Motion Pro cable and it only lasted 3 years. Besides, it was no where near built as heavy as the OEMs.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thanks For The Feedback

Ed,

My current cable has a plastic/nylon cup or bushing over the metal knob at the handle. I never saw that before and thought it was a mistake. I think of it now as a smoother means to allow movement without a metal on metal contact. Now I sit here and wonder if it wore out yet, but too lazy to uncover the Suzi.
                  Here's a snapshot of the parts I disassembled. See the box I highlighted...is this what you're talking about?

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                  Yep, I took a ride from the Inland Empire all the way out to Santa Monica then headed over to Dodger Stadium. Was gonna finish up at the Griffith Observatory until I had a break in my ride.
                  Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                  Ed, get a OEM cable. They seem to be the best and will last alot longer then anything else. I bought a Motion Pro cable and it only lasted 3 years. Besides, it was no where near built as heavy as the OEMs.
                  I went ahead and bought 2 of them...oh well, I'll learn the hard way Bill. Thanks!

Ed
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Ok you got me off my lazy butt to check. My wife is catching up to me on the Netflix binge watch of "Long way down" anyway.

Can you see the little grey c shaped material in the cable hole at the handle. Again it was some type of hard plastic which I almost tossed except it fit so nice. It has been for three years. As I recall it is slightly slotted in the side for cable movement. Maybe that is common, just not on anything else I have.

Hondas
                    Suzuki
                    Kaw
                    '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Right Handle

Ok you got me off my lazy butt to check. My wife is catching up to me on the Netflix binge watch of "Long way down" anyway.

Can you see the little grey c shaped material in the cable hole at the handle. Again it was some type of hard plastic which I almost tossed except it fit so nice. It has been for three years. As I recall it is slightly slotted in the side for cable movement. Maybe that is common, just not on anything else I have.

I'm not with my bike right now...but I will check later. Here's a reference point for said area. I'm not sure I see what you're talking about.

Maybe it's in this area:

I've taken the caliper apart and am waiting for my parts to complete the job.

The screws are not coming out of the MC so I'll drill them out and order some replacement screws/gasket.

Looking forward to putting this back together with my braided line.

Ed
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

it is a piece of hard plastic that wraps around the cable end.
                        this gets the cable end to the right size/same size of the lever hole.
                        not a factory cable of course...

Comment

Positive

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                          it is a piece of hard plastic that wraps around the cable end.
                          this gets the cable end to the right size/same size of the lever hole.
                          not a factory cable of course...
                          Cool,

Thanks for the feedback!

Ed
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post

[/URL]
                            If your cable breaks there, you have another problem. The end of the cable is bending every time you pull the lever. It will break again, very soon. Either the hole in the clutch lever is worn, the perch is badly worn, the lever hole isn't the right size for the bearing on the cable end, the bearing has not been properly cleaned and greased, for some reason the cable end bearing is not free to turn in the lever. It has no other choice but to bend, which means it will break.

It could also be that the threads the adjuster fits into isn't working right and the adjuster is digging into the cable. Could be the lever does not fit the perch, the adjuster is not right for the perch, or the cable comes out of the perch at an odd angle.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Bent Cable

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              If your cable breaks there, you have another problem. The end of the cable is bending every time you pull the lever. It will break again, very soon. Either the hole in the clutch lever is worn, the perch is badly worn, the lever hole isn't the right size for the bearing on the cable end, the bearing has not been properly cleaned and greased, for some reason the cable end bearing is not free to turn in the lever. It has no other choice but to bend, which means it will break.

It could also be that the threads the adjuster fits into isn't working right and the adjuster is digging into the cable. Could be the lever does not fit the perch, the adjuster is not right for the perch, or the cable comes out of the perch at an odd angle.
                              Maybe the handle is angled in a way that causes the bending. I'm not with my bike at the moment but I'm anxious to see what the problem is.

Could it be the handle needs to be angled in a way that prevents bending?

Ed
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

It looks like your cable is at about a thirty degree angle to the perch. If it's trying to get to this angle while it's installed, that would explain th breaking cables. Ideally it comes straight out with no angle for several inches before the first gentle curve. Sometimes hard to achieve, especially if the bars have been swapped out for short ones.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                                X