Can we prevent this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we prevent this

I live in SoCal, near L.A. and I ride. I just started riding, and it pains me to see all those who've died so young. Can these fatalities be prevented? I love to ride, and I love life! I haven't had any real close calls yet, but I know they're coming. Anyone have any advice that might save a life in the California freeways?

Something that has kept me alive for my almost 40 years of riding motorcycles:

1. YOU ARE INVISIBLE. That means that since they can't see you, they will do whatever they want, right in front of you.

2. THERE ARE A SPECIAL FEW THAT CAN SEE YOU, but they are aiming at you.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Take a motorcycle safety foundation course.
      Where I live they are free, but I don't know about California.

Comment

All good advice. Also, gear up with quality protection, don't be stupid, and always have an escape route.

Comment

You've already got the right attitude - you know it's coming. Every time you put your helmet on keep thinking something bad could happen, then you have a better chance of handling it when it does.
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

I told my son, whenever you are riding, just assume that whatever the WORST thing that could happen WILL happen and plan for it. By being constantly on your guard you will be already prepared for that eventual time something DOES happen.

Comment

I recently read this and thought it was pretty good. Lots of common sense but if common sense was common lots of people would have it.
              This seems like a good thread to post this in.

Crashing is, unfortunately, as much a part of riding as rainstorms and bad pavement. Here's how to avoid some of the more common accidents.
              No signature

Comment

hey, soon all vehicles will be 'talking' to each other ... and their vehicle will prevent them from hitting you!
                (it's not going to help planet E's problemo número uno any ... ie out of control population growth! but hey ... at least you'll be safe from blind grandads and texting teens!)
                In the meantime ... All of the above!
                D-ttttt (Defence)

Comment

Watch anyone turning left.
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                  .................________-|___\____
                  ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

On the freeway: Stay out of blind spots. Look at drivers in their mirrors. If you split lanes, or even if you don't, please remember that cars are individual, not part of a line. Treat them that way. Look at each one, and see if it looks like they are going to do something, and be prepared to alter your plan if they do. Don't tailgate.

In the city: Be super wary of places with a lot of driveways, especially if they are on both sides of the road. Vehicles coming and going from the sides are unpredictable. Stay out of blind spots. Don't ride next to cars and trucks if you can help it. You can use car and truck traffic to your advantage at times. At an intersections where a vehicle may turn left in front of you, being near a car or truck that they are far more likely to see may help you get past without them turning in front of you. Left turners going the opposite way as you or from your left or right at an intersection are the most dangerous. Right turners are the second most dangerous.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Improve your skills. Trust no one. Wear all the gear you can, as often as you can. Don't be stupid. Push your skill, not your luck. Pay attention, always. Avoid ****ing matches with cars. Learn to fall, ski, take Judo lessons, whatever you can to improve your chances of not getting hurt when you fall. Hint - landing on your hands doesn't work. Take dirt riding lessons, track days, any other form of riding that will let you learn more, and keep learning. Practice your riding skills regularly. Ride with riders better than you. When it's safe to do so, push the limits of your bike. When it's not safe, don't. When you think you are done learning, you are probably about to learn a very hard lesson indeed. Don't ride with idiots. Don't ride in large groups. Start on a small bike, master it and if you wish to, move up to a larger one. Those who learn on big bikes rarely master anything.

Don't believe everything you read about riding on the internet, there are a lot of riders who don't know a damned thing, but they can sure sound like they do.

Any advice that starts with "never", or "always", is wrong some of the time.

Don't let being legal take priority over being safe. Legally dead is worse than a speeding ticket.
                      Last edited by tkent02; 02-08-2014, 04:56 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

As everyone has alluded, it is not if you will dismount, it is when you will dismount.
                        In Tom's learning how to fall, watch how parachuters do it. Tuck and roll. Turn yourself into a ball and roll or slide.

Comment

Simply PLAN on every car/truck and even some motorcycle riders to do something stupid ever time and you will be correct. I have never been caught off guard using this theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Something that has kept me alive for my almost 40 years of riding motorcycles:

1. YOU ARE INVISIBLE. That means that since they can't see you, they will do whatever they want, right in front of you.

2. THERE ARE A SPECIAL FEW THAT CAN SEE YOU, but they are aiming at you.

Truer words have never been typed.

Comment

In the mid 70s I was on my RD350, riding in the left lane, in traffic, in Houston. I observed a woman in the left turn lane, turned her head and looked me right in the eyes. She then proceeded to move right into my lane, right at me. I was prepared and merely moved into the right lane, no problem.
                              That is the type of thing that will occur when you ride.

Comment

Working...
                              X