Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 15 years of owning my GS

With the family situation as it sits, other then going to work, I'm pretty much needed at home full time for a few weeks, so I've been spending a bit of time in the garage as time allows.

After finding the bent engine mount, I decided that I should check the others. They checked out ok, but one of the rubber bushings in one of the front mounts was pretty hammered and compressed off center. Definitely some weirdness trying to realign the bolts, and with the front mount / bushings loosely in place, there is a gap on one side. I test fit the rear mount where the bent one was, and it does not set in place properly. With the upcoming long weekend im hoping to try to get some measurements and maybe get the rear mount situation addressed and see how the engine sits.

It seems to me (and I've been wrong many times) that with the two rear mounts holding up the engine, the rest should more or less fall into place, discounting of course, the weight of the engine possibly causing slight downward misalignment due to its weight. We shall see....

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.

Hang in there, my friend! Looking forward to seeing that beast all sorted.
    Darwin's idea of natural selection makes people uncomfortable because it reverses the direction of tradition." ~Daniel Dennett

1984 1150ES

Thanks for the encouragement- I appreciate it.
    I'm cautiously optimistic that I may be onto something. At this point I'll be happy to take improvement if perfection isn't possible. If anything comes from the bum framed parts bike, it may well be that it forced me to take a closer look at mine. Having a good set of mounts and straight frame to comare with may almost be worth buying it alone.

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -Rusty old scooter.

Glen
    -Rusty old scooter.

It's done?
    Darwin's idea of natural selection makes people uncomfortable because it reverses the direction of tradition." ~Daniel Dennett

1984 1150ES

Aaah, maybe I should have stuck the fork in me. I'm not necessarily done, but taking a break. A somewhat frustrating day bike related and otherwise.

I managed to check out the previously mentioned items. I measured a 5-6 mm discrepancy between the upper rear engine mount that is welded to the frame between the 2 bikes. Problem is that with the rear lower mounts both being fixed points welded to the frame, there is no give to shift the engine over, just a minimum of play allowed by the boltholes. I tried everything I could think of in regards to checking the various mounts, etc. Another thing not mentioned by me is that under full compression, the rear tire slightly rubs on the right side of the inner fender so there could be other issues as well.

After giving up on the engine mounts, I pulled the seat / tail light assembly of the bike and spent some time eyeballing things. Nothing obvious noticed by eyes alone.

At this point if I really want to find out what's up with it, I think I would need to fully strip it and find a way to get some critical measurements and that's more then I care to get involved with at this time. Ignorance has been bliss for 17 years, and the bike rides fine so I'm just going to...... ride when I can.

It's all back together now.
    Last edited by dorkburger; Yesterday at 12:01 AM.

Glen
    -Rusty old scooter.