No announcement yet.

Project 82 GPz750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After a couple of weeks soaking the pivot with commercial penetrating oils I tried ATF mixed with alcohol with some heat from a propane torch.That obviously did the trick,thanks to Bear from the BC Classics site for that suggestion

The old bearings did a number on the pivot sleeve,can tell the races are going to be a b****h to get out of the arm.The nut is close to threading on to the pivot,hoping a little more finessing with the files will get it to go

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
      After a couple of weeks soaking the pivot with commercial penetrating oils
      That's some mighty patience there!
      GS850GT

Comment

Partly patience,partly weather,throw in some lazy and frustration and you have my secret recipe psy

Decided to break the carbs down today.The auto feul line is outa here,to be replaced with my favorite Tygon line.

Since they where broken down I decided it was no time like the present to throw them in the ultrasonic.

I wonder why the paint on #4 stood up better on that side,other side peeled off like the others Used Dawn dish washing detergent,really happy with the way it works in the ultrasonic.

Comment

Ordered a bunch of SS screws for the carbs from my new SS screw guy.Got a few dome nuts for the back s of the 1000's insturments while I was at it.Great prices and VERY reasonable shipping within Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Pretty simple paint scheme. You could paint the stripes or maybe cut them from graphics film. Don't sweat it, you'll figure something out.
            One of the nicest KZ around was done by a fellow GS'er, "dardoonk"

CLICK -------> KZ1100

Comment

Well I got the Vance and Hines 4>1 apart http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...750&highlight= it's still putting up a fight.

Any suggestions oh great GSR hive mind?

Comment

Got the 78 1000 nearly done (finally) so it's time to get to something on the GPz.Carb painting is the first thing I did:

Actually I wire brush the bodies and float bowls a bit ago.

Got some silicone plugs for powder coating but figured they'd work for regular paint to,they did

My favorite VHT satin caliper paint cured for 1 hour at 200 degrees.degrees. Didn't want to subject the shaft seals to the 400+ degrees of PC.Still open to suggestions on what to do with the V&H meg.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-02-2015, 09:29 PM.

Comment

I have been following and shes looking like shes getting her well deserved love!! Thats gonna be my next one someday.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks Chuck,I've really wanted a GPz550 but the more I get into this the happier I am it's a 750.

Well I got the carbs set up,well mostly.I bet you're wondering why the silver GS float bowl.While I was assembling there where 3 in the box I had them in with the other one on the carb I did earlier.When I came to do the last carb there was no bowl.It was a WTF moment as it seems to have gone to the same place as the GS1000 petcock's stand pipe.

Comment

Found the float bowl!!!It was in the wife's truck because Ken (at Kenco) wanted to see if he had gaskets.We'd forgot about that .Flipped the seat forward yesterday and found itRack is back to black

Comment

Have a little fork problem http://www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chass...1-fork-problem
                        Edit:Copy and paste from KZR
                        Was getting my 82 750R1's forks apart,had a problem with getting the old hex(allen) screws out of the bottom of the slider.The first one came out when I put my air impact on it.The other one stripped out the hex socket.Since I knew the top of the damper had the holder teeth cut onto it I used a 5/8th spark plug wrench put onto a bunch of extensions trick.That got the bottom screw to go around but now I got nothing stop the thing spinning.Anybody got any suggestions before I drill the head off the screw?I'm terrible at drilling straight but it's the only thing I can think of.
                        Should have done this to begin with

Last edited by Guest; 03-30-2015, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Well I bit the bullet and drilled the head off the screw.Went OK to,the first bit was to small as I went passed the head with no release.A quick session with one size up cured that.The stub in the damper unscrewed with light finger pressure

Comment

All part of the fun. I love seeing these old girls restored. Mine is the first bike out of the shed every spring.
                            Suzuki GS550; Kawasaki H-1E, GPz900; Honda MT250, CB400F, CB550, GL500, CBR929.

Comment

Hi,
                              Just wanted to say hi and i will read this thread at length as i have just bought a wreck of a 1982 gpz 750 r1.
                              This is an outrage to even mention on this site (being a suzuki site) but this site helped me sort
                              my beloved GS550 E out big time.

I attach a pic on the state of mine. I have just sorted the carbs, tanks - inside , and am now onto
                              the wheels and swinging arm.

I need some advice on the center stand as dont have one and am trying to find out
                              what it looks like ?

4 days in - engine out and checking wheels etc..jpg
                              Last edited by ukjules; 12-30-2015, 10:57 AM.
                              UKJULES
                              ---------------------------------
                              Owner of following bikes:
                              1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                              1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                              1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                              1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Originally posted by ukjules View Post
                                Hi,
                                Just wanted to say hi and i will read this thread at length as i have just bought a wreck of a 1982 gpz 750 r1.
                                This is an outrage to even mention on this site (being a suzuki site) but this site helped me sort
                                my beloved GS550 E out big time.

I attach a pic on the state of mine. I have just sorted the carbs, tanks - inside , and am now onto
                                the wheels and swinging arm.

I need some advice on the center stand as dont have one and am trying to find out
                                what it looks like ?

Let's not clutter up this build thread with too many unrelated questions.

There are countless on-line parts sellers that have the original Kawasaki parts book with diagrams so you can look up the stand in question. I like to use Partzilla for parts, but they are US based so you best look for a more local source. The 750R1 center stand is a one year only part, although the L model 750's typically share a lot of parts with the R1.

The stand in question is part number 34011-1050 STAND-MAIN and seems to be still available for sale from Kawasaki.
                                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                                X