Now that it's starting, it only runs with choke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that it's starting, it only runs with choke

so the starting problem was because of reversed coils.
    carbs are clean,new o-rings in the carbs and in the intake
    unifilter pods,no mufflers at the moment.
    afaik main jets are 120,pilots are 42.5
    pilot screws 2 1/2 turns out
    it starts with the choke pulled all the way, after a minute i can push the choke a little bit back and the rpm will rise. if i push the choke further back it dies.
    while choke is pulled it will response to the throttle. but not very smoothly
    to my understanding it's running lean, i know i need to rejet the mains because of the pods,but do they effect idle? same question regarding the needle, is changing needle height can help with idle too?
    also, how to check if i have intake leaks?

Thanks for all the great help i'm getting here, i couldn't have get this far with the bike without it :-)

Eran

No muffler??

With no back pressure I wouldn't expect it to run very well either- choke or no!
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Try turning the idle speed screw in about one turn.

Activating the "choke" opens alternate air and fuel passages, so idle speed setting is somewhat irrelevant.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Idle jets are for idle to 1/4 throttle, slide needle is for 1/4 to 3/4 throttle, main jet is for 3/4 throttle to open. All these jets overlap function as well to some extent. You know you are super lean right now due to it's running better with a lot of choke. Might as well start re-jetting it, but you really need the mufflers or a pipe on to get it close.

Comment

Sounds like a few issues including perhaps intake leaks causing an over lean situation. The easiest way to check is to spray either Quick Start (ether) or WD40 or other penetrating fluid around the intake boots with the bike running. If the bike revs or alternatively dies you have leaky carb boot O-rings.

As also mentioned, without mufflers it is not going to have sufficient back pressure and will not run right. The pod filters are not helping either. Unis are good filters but do you have them properly oiled? If not they will not be sufficiently restrictive and as you noted, the carbs need to be rejetted to compensate as well.

You definitely have a few issues to consider. Perhaps start by checking for airleaks and also "fatten up" your jets to at least the next sizes up. Make sure your filters are oiled too. It should start to run better but then, of course, you will need to put on some mufflers as also mentioned.

As Steve mentions, until you get it running without choke trying to get it to idle is a waste of time. Before you get to that even you should also balance the carbs. but we are getting way ahead of ourselves.

Get it to at least run without choke first.

Good luck.

Comment

I learn new things every day! noted and will get done.
            I will put the mufflers on tomorrow, although they are quit minimal (short slush cut units)
            I will order some jets and will oil the filters and check for leaks.
            should i get also bigger pilot jets?

Eran

Comment

Do you have a vacuum operated petcock?

Is it correctly attached or blocked if you are using a temporary fuel tank?
              Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
              1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
              1977 GS400
              1974 Montesa 250
              1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Originally posted by eran_k View Post
                should i get also bigger pilot jets?
                Usually, that is not necessary.

Although re-jetting is necessary for pods and pipes, that is only necessary due to the extra air than can flow, due to less restriction imposed by the stock airbox and the mufflers. However, at less-than-full throttle settings, it is the throttle mechansim (slides in the VM carbs, butterflies in the BS carbs) that causes the restriction, so the carbs don't flow any more air at idle, regardless of what is upstream or downstream.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

The post doesn't mention if it ran this way before pod and muffler removal.If it wont idle without choke, pilot circuits may be plugged or restricted. Before any jetting is attempted, make sure carbs are clean. Canned cleaners do not work.When I worked in the dealership, When we installed slip-ons We always bumped 1 up size on the pilot as all modern bikes are EPE'd certified and run lean in stock form to pass emissions and get worse with intake or exhaust mods. Just off idle, when in transition from idle circuits to needle, circuits can be fine tuned by shimming the needle up for more fuel. Yamaha dealers have a nice shim that are less than $1 each
                  Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                  Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                  Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

I'm rebuilding the bike so the carbs have been stripped, cleaned and all o-rings replaced (including the manifolds o-rings)
                    i never started it before tearing down but PO said it was running. it was totally stock.
                    carbs were pretty clean and nice inside even before i cleaned them.
                    I cleaned them according to the manuals on cliff's site and made sure all passages and jets are open and clean

Comment

How did you initially set the idle screw? It could be that the butterflies are too closed to allow it to idle. On mine the screw should be 2 to 3 full turns in after initial contact with the linkage pad. Not sure on the GSX400.
                      Last edited by JTGS850GL; 02-22-2014, 12:01 PM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Actually i think it's barely touching the butterflies, but aren't they supposed to be completely closed at idle?

Comment

Originally posted by eran_k View Post
                          Actually i think it's barely touching the butterflies, but aren't they supposed to be completely closed at idle?
                          No, they need to be open just a hair for the bike to idle. If they're completly closed then that will cause the problem you're having. Turn the idle screw in a couple of turns and see if that fixes the idle issue. Just be ready to hit the kill switch if the RPMs jump to high. If so, then back the screw out half a turn and try again.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                            No, they need to be open just a hair for the bike to idle. If they're completly closed then that will cause the problem you're having. Turn the idle screw in a couple of turns and see if that fixes the idle issue. Just be ready to hit the kill switch if the RPMs jump to high. If so, then back the screw out half a turn and try again.
                            See post #3.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

There you go again Steve... Pointing out you were correct all along. Yep, sometimes people need to hear it twice before the light bulb turns on. Actually, they need to hear it worded in a differant way before it's fully understood. Hopefully a little adjustment on the idle speed screw will make all the differance.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                              X