Tourmaster Flex Pants - Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tourmaster Flex Pants - Thoughts?

Does anyone wear these or have you worn them?

The Flex pants are a textile/mesh hybrid. This is truly a pair of pants that can be transformed for any riding conditions from the very hot to the very cold...

I'm looking for a new pair of pants and am ready to buy them (NewEnough and Iron Pony have about the same price) but wanted to see if anyone had advice for me before I do pull the trigger.

I like the idea they can change from mesh to textile and have two liners in them. The pair I tried on at Iron Pony a couple of months ago felt ok though they are a bit bulky. I'll need the XL Short but that won't be too big of an issue especially from NewEnough.
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Dunno about these, but I have had other Tourmaster stuff. Quality seems mostly OK for the money, zippers and stiching have mostly held together, they are comfortable, they work. Not as good as the expensive stuff, but it's adequate. I'd rather have several nice enough jackets than one uber top notch one, so it works for me.

My only bitch is that the Velcro is too strong. Keeps grabbing onto everything, closing when I dont want them too, etc. After about five years on one jacket, the velcro has loosened up to where it should have been new. You shouldn't have that problem with the pants. I have a pair of their mesh pants, for cold or wet weather you put a waterproof liner inside, an extremely stupid idea. I threw that liner away. Dont wear them anymore, could never get the knee armor in the right place, when the fly zipper failed, I quit wearing them.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

That's what I bought last fall after my crash. I didn't recognize them at first, but they're the same thing Josh has been using for years. I haven't had them long enough to comment on a full season of weather, but they should breathe ok. They seem pretty well constructed, with flaps protecting the zippers on the legs. Those nearly failed on the HT Air pants I was using before.

I'm not a fan of zip on/out liners. They always feel bulky and awkward to me. I thought the exterior textile panels wouldn't have that problem, but they do. I don't think it's a big issue or anything, they just feel a bit like a snowmobile suit with any of the extra layers on. Reasonably comfortable with just the mesh layer. If I need a wind break layer, I just use the rain gear. It's more comfortable than a zip on layer of textile, and it might even pack down smaller. One thing that allows me to get away with less wind protection on my legs is the MX style knee armor I use. It meets the top of my boots, so the wind-facing part of my leg is already protected from wind and light rain.

They do have the gecko-foot velcro that Tom described.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Just placed the order and should see it sometime this next week.
        sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

So - two years later - what's the review of the Tourmaster pants?

Comment

Sorry about that, I actually forgot I posted this. I love the pants. They are easy to slip off though putting them on requires you to pull the legs apart as the Velcro sides will stick to each other. Pockets are fine for what I need (wallet and change) and removing the outer shell doesn't take very long (better to do it with the pants off though). I don't wear the liner but that's mostly because I always wear jeans unless I'm riding to work so I don't feel comfortable with it in there.

Since I do wear jeans, I won't say they keep me cool but I definitely don't overheat in them during the summer. I will take the outer shell off once the morning temperatures get above the mid-40s and put them back about the same temperature in the fall. Very much worth the money I paid for them

Once the w
            sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

They were so good cowboyup forgot about the rating.

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Thanks for the update!

Unfortunately, it appears that the Flex is made from unobtanium in my size (aka "full-figured"). But the Tourmaster Caliber looks to be nearly equal.

Comment

Working...
                X