Valve clearance check on GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris G View Post
    I may be way off here, rather than removing the side case to rotate the engine, when checking clearances can I remove the plugs put it in gear and just rotate the rear wheel, or is this a no no due to it being shaft driven
    I do it that way. I'm just used to it from old bikes I used to own.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

After a bit of head scratching, and moving various shims around on paper, I think i'll be needing to get hold of four shims, as tkent02 mentioned they all appear to drop by one shim size, though No4 exhaust is in tolerance.
      I have one shim marked with a X making it 2.62mm the suggested replacement is a 2.57mm are these intermediate size easily obtainable from a Suzuki main dealer?

I will put up my measurements and suggested replacement shim sizes later, for folk to confirm or not if I am heading in the right direction.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2014, 03:49 PM.

Comment

You might be able to get that 2.55x (2.57) shim from a member or the Shim Club, but you can not order them from any Suzuki vendor.

What you can do, though, is to evaluate the clearance it will leave you. If it will be near the tight side, just go with a 2.55 for the extra half-shim's worth of clearance. If it will leave you on the loose side, feel free to use a 2.60, as long as it still leaves you within the range.

Last edited by Steve; 03-29-2014, 04:45 PM.
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve, that's just answered what was on the agenda if I could not obtain the specific shim.

Comment

Just get them as close as you can to spec. If you have to "fudge" it a little, go LOOSER.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Update: Needed five shims in the end, made one error in my guesstimating of how many sizes to drop, got all the new shims fitted, remeasured all the clearance and input the info into Steve's valve clearance spread sheet, had a new cam cover gasket in stock, but replaced the breather gasket all back together.
              Thanks to the information available on the forum, and the use of the spread sheet, it was quite a straight forward job, still can't make my mind up if the shim removal tool is friend or foe to any new owner it is highly recommended you get these clearance checked out, as I stated before these were supposedly checked 3.7k ago they may have been checked back then but only two were in tolerance when I checked, tells me the shop just measured em up must have been on the lowest side of tolerance as usual it pays to DIY.

Ran her up on my auxiliary tank first, to warm through a little makes a change to be able to hear the tappets doing there thing, idle sounded good, now for a test ride.
              Weather was not the best but a run out was needed prior to clearance check the bike was hesitant in the lower gears, and running lean this was slightly improved when I changed the o rings to the mixture screws. Well today I'd have sworn I was riding a different bike, way smoother in the lower gears, drops to idle and sits there, would be up and down before, pulls well and just feels smoother if that's the way to describe it, ended up doing 35/40 miles never missed a beat, I'll check later for plug coloration, going to run another tank of fuel using a fuel cleaner just for good measure, as I mentioned before it's only done 4k miles in the last 10yrs, roll on some good weather.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2014, 12:04 PM.

Comment

One more reminder: on a bike that is 'new' to you, there is an unknown service history. Even though you have just adjusted the valves, there might have been some crud on the valve seats or the valves themselves. Running the bike with somewhat proper operation now, that crud might get worn or burned away, which will change your clearances. You might want to make your next clearance check sooner than the recommended 3000 miles. Once you determine that everything is good, you can probably stretch out the interval comfortably.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

I recheck them in 100 miles on a new to me bike. Almost always a few have changed.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for the info fellas.

Comment

this is the next thing on the list for me as far as maintenance. i'm not looking forward to it.

Comment

It's not too bad. one of the shims has to be replaced. I can't fit the .0015 feeler gauge so I need to increase the gap

Comment

Lol, this post has been dead for 3 years.
                          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

hey do you what the steps are for removing and installing a different shim. I read the Haynes manual , is it pretty straight forward ?

Comment

Working...
                            X