Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Igniter testing

Sparker TCI or igniter testing

I fitted one and half years ago on my Suzuki GSX1100EF Ignitech Sparker TCI. At arrival the leads to spark coils were cross fitted. I managed to correct this and the bike ran ok till winter came. After winter no spark nothing not even with Start Pilot.
    When I test by Suzuki service manual I get only one spark though I touch several times signal pulse terminal. When I switch Start/Stop I get spark either in 1-4 or 2-3 spark plugs. My question is: Should I get spark every time I touch the terminal? Could it be that the TCI box requires after 1-4, 2-3 and the 1-4 etc. every second time 1st pair and the 2nd pair. TCI sparks once only after power on.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-31-2014, 02:24 PM.

What's a "Start pilot" ? by "start/stop" you mean the kill switch? if so, set to run, it feeds positive to coils and ignitor which could fire a plug pair even without cranking just once though (I'm quessing) .As you crank, the correct pair fires (more quessing).
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi,

These links may help.

Diagnosing Slow Cranking
      Igniter/Signal Generator/Coil Test
      Igniter Repair/Testing (2MB PDF)
      Regulator/Rectifier Diode Test
      How To Repair Your Wiring Harness
      Cleaning Your Wiring Harness
      Testing The Ignition System

And here's a "mega-welcome" for you.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
      Help! Your Bike Won't Start
      DON'T DO THESE THINGS
      Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
      Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks to you tom203 and BasCliff , I tested to day furhter the ignition so that the signal generator was connected and with multimeter giving successive pulses to 1-4 and 2-3, the sparks in all spark plugs were ok to me. Maybe #3 was weaker than the others. So I assume that the igniter is ok and I have to aim my attention to fuel system. I just wonder what happened during winter when the bike didn't start in spring. By the way "Start Pilot" is a starting aid easily flammable. Maybe you know this as an other brand.
        SepiS

Comment

Did you put the petcock on PRI at first?

Comment

Next in line is starter clutch repair and that's I'm having done by Suzuki workshop. The extractor needed etc. I believe it's better to have this done by a professional mechanic rather than a hobbyest. Hopefully in two weeks time I have good news and these problems are past.

Comment

Working...
            X