New in New Jersey - 1981 GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forks!!!

^^Take your time doing the job. You'll appreciate the results when you test those forks!

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Started to clean up the garage a bit this weekend and noticed a gas smell coming from somewhere. Melted a good bit of paint off the front of one of the side covers - a bit of a bummer- but it's mostly hidden by the airbox chrome trim. Pulled the tank and it appears that it's coming from the fuel gauge send unit rather than the petcock. Seems like the gasket is leaking (will replace) and possibly the drain hose is blocked.

I'll probably replace the petcock anyway too - rather not get it all back together and realize it was both

Comment

Looks like it was missing one of the tank overflow drain screws and the gasket between the drain/send unit. The main gasket there looks a little sad too - replacements!

Comment

Seems like i'll be rebuilding the front calipers and replacing the lines in the near future but the bike is mostly back together.

I'm currently perplexed by the speedometer. Heard of a bit of a whining noise at the end of last season and then the speedo just quit. I've confirmed that the speedo drive unit at the wheel is working properly and the inner cable turns via the wheel.

When I put the cable into the actual speedo, it seems like the inner cable "threads" into the hole and then binds up after a turn or two. The entire speedo cable (outside too) was turning - seems super odd. Am I missing something simple or is the actual speedometer dead? I've squirted various things up the hole to try and unseize whatever may be seized.

The dealer actually replaced the cable earlier in the year when I brought it in. Worked fine for a few months then this happened. Any ideas?

Comment

By the outside turning, are you referring to the housing, as in it turned when you tried to thread it into the speedo? If so, the coupling may be stuck to the housing. It should spin freely when disconnected. Also the end of the cable has a square shape, I think, that needs line up inside of the housing cable " receptacle " to slide in. If you can, raise the front wheel, try turning it a bit and it may slip in.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Yes, the entire house was twisting when connected to both ends. I get what you are saying about the square end and definitely missed that in my initial observation.

Old Cable - you can totally see where the cable snapped - pretty sure that square part may be lodged in the instrument housing. Not quite sure how i'm going to get it out. Seems to explain why things are binding

New cable with the actual square head.

Also found out that the UPS package with my gas tank parts was delivered to a residence down the street. Hoping i can knock on their door and pick up a package but who knows - been 3 weeks since my initial order. I'll shop locally in the future.

Comment

Maybe some tiny needle nose pliers or such....

Also, if you start a new thread about the work your doing on the bike in the projects or technical forums, you will likely get more feedback / advice on things.
                Last edited by dorkburger; 03-12-2015, 09:38 PM.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Long time no update. Finally pulled the trigger on some new steering bearings and a fork brace with the hopes of killing that slight front end wobble, we'll see how it goes but I now have some weekend goals.

(likely followed by rear wheel bearings and swingarm bearings/bushings a bit down the road)

Comment

Ive noticed you popping up a bit lately. Good to see you back at it.
                    I dont know what else you've done on the front end, but bad wheel bearings and / or an out of balance wheel can cause a shake as well.
                    sigpic

Glen
                    -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Yea, been a busy year. Bought a house and proceeded to renovate a kitchen which involved have my garage full of things other than motorcycles. Finally getting back in the swing of things.

Now that I have space I'm a bit more inclined to tear into things and make a mess - and I probably have a better idea of what I'm looking for/troubleshooting. Bought my wife a 80's C70 passport for xmas so I was focused on that for a little bit.

On the GS< I had the front wheel bearings + tire replaced about a year ago so those are likely fine. Might tear back into the forks while they're off - there was a slight sticking on one side when I reassembled last time but after destroying a few bushings due to learning curve. Hoping it's a sad bushing or something. Also acquired a NOS fork tube so I'm hoping that swap will also help.

Comment

Originally posted by 180gramvinyl View Post
                        Long time no update. Finally pulled the trigger on some new steering bearings and a fork brace with the hopes of killing that slight front end wobble, we'll see how it goes but I now have some weekend goals.

(likely followed by rear wheel bearings and swingarm bearings/bushings a bit down the road)
                        Rear shocks are another possible culprit in the wobble, lack of damping there "feeds forward" and affects the front end.
                        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Man - ordered the steering bearings from All Balls after noon on Monday and they were in my mailbox on Tuesday. I was shocked! Perhaps I'll finally start a project thread and give up on this one. Certainly looks like a project after pulling the tank and half the front end. Adding carbs to the list as i can tell the air screws are out of whack just by looking at them. not really sure what I was thinking the first time around.

@RichDesmond - good to know on the rear shocks - I'm sure those could also use some love. (PS - I picked up a set of Sonic Springs about 2 years ago and they really made a difference. Thanks for walking me through a while back!)

Comment

Welp, got things back together this weekend and encountered some good and bad. The good - bike feels so much smoother with the new steering bearings and fork brace - really pleased with how it turned out. Retorqued a number of things (swingarm included) and it's way more steady. Local roads max out at 40mph so I need to take it for an extended test this weekend. and really let her rip.

Old bearings - it was clearly time:

The bad: a. When putting things back together, I snapped #18 on this diagram. Haven't tried to extra or drill it out yet - any suggestions? Should I retap or helicoil? Can I just put a bolt all the way through and use a nut? Maybe I'll post in the suspenion section...
                            Shop online for OEM Steering Stem parts that fit your 1981 Suzuki GS750E, search all our OEM Parts or call at (231)737-4542

b. This thing initially had a a Vetter Nightstalker fairing and about 1.5ft of wiring harness extender. Finally removed this extender but I'm missing something to make both signals work - I think there's some crossover in the extra harness I need to retrace. I think I was left with a brown, a green and two black or black/white wires that I need to figure out what to do with. Clearly missing something and electrical is not my strong suit
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2017, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X