Triumph wiring harness shorty for reg/rec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triumph wiring harness shorty for reg/rec

The Triumph part number T2500676, the plug'nplay harness from the Shindengen SH and FH plug-bodied RRs arrived today.
    It's well made, arrived almost before it had been sent and is cheap - a tenner or so. Also, the Triumph end connectors were filled with silicone grease, but I won't be needing them.
    One of these...

Lovely jubbly. Now only awaiting on the SH-775, which is stuck in Dublin, having come from Ohio in three days, it's languishing in a warehouse until Monday.
    Hoho, there will be trouble if FedEx try to charge me duty on this.
    Last edited by Grimly; 05-23-2014, 08:51 AM. Reason: Changed title for clarification
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Thought I'd just carry on with this thread instead of peppering the forum with truncated utterings.
    The used Shindengen SH-775 arrived via FedEx today - it's physically slightly smaller than I expected, so will have no problem mounting it in front of the battery box, I think.
    I have no airbox/filter housing to worry about there.

---- Dave
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Which bike are you stuffing it into? The 850GT's mounted them under the battery box.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

i got my wiring plug delivered on sat
        still waiting for the new regulator, should be here anyday now hopefully

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
          Which bike are you stuffing it into? The 850GT's mounted them under the battery box.
          The original location got covered in road muck, so I've had the Honda RRs mounted on the rear fender under the seat, but this is just large enough to rule that out. If I still had the original carbs and air filter, I'd probably put it on the inside of a side cover (depending on heat and ventilation of course), but the front of the battery box is unoccupied now, with a wide clear space between that and the S.U. filter, with plenty of air movement.

Originally posted by gs1100ez View Post
          i got my wiring plug delivered on sat
          still waiting for the new regulator, should be here anyday now hopefully
          Excellent. There's going to be a rush of people fitting these, shortly. I'll get mine sorted out this week.
          ---- Dave

Comment

Got it fitted, and used the original Suzuki red line which tees to the fusebox 15A charging fuse (thoroughly checking and cleaning all connectors) which is still in good condition externally and internally (no overheated or corroded wire core, as is common on many Japanese cars of that era - the quality of copper on the Suzuki looms was always better than Nissan, for example).
            On my Triumph adapter harness, the ground wire split in two, so I grounded one at the frame and took the other to the common ground up by the battery.
            Getting a steady battery charge voltage of 14.45V above idle with no lights and 14.29V with all lights on.
            I'll bung up a pic of the installation later on.
            ---- Dave

Comment

Some pics

I swear, the engine is running smoother with the higher system voltage, which points me to a possible LT connection glitch somewhere. I'll clean some pickup/ignitor connections tomorrow, as some preventative maintenance.

---- Dave

Comment

You are trying to ruin that R/R. It needs to be mounted in rubber.

Comment

Why rubber my OEM unit was hard bolted to the frame?
                  Oh wait never mind yet another charging system weakness.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    You are trying to ruin that R/R. It needs to be mounted in rubber.
                    I have a box of eggs - do you want to teach me how to suck them?
                    ---- Dave

Comment

Yes...you definitely need to isolate the r/r with rubber mounts.
                      Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post
                        Yes...you definitely need to isolate the r/r with rubber mounts.
                        Don't you start, too.
                        Rubber mounting was always in the plan - just finagling a reliable / simple method is the trick. The unit just got bolted to the cross-strap for wiring installation and got taken out for a ride down the village just to see how it behaved.
                        Then agin, perhaps I'll ignore the 40-odd years I spent fixing and designing electrical machines and just wing it.
                        ---- Dave

Comment

Suzuki didn't rubber mount the stock R/R. Nor did Kawasaki on my KZ750. It won't hurt to do so mind you, just not sure it's necessary.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            Suzuki didn't rubber mount the stock R/R. Nor did Kawasaki on my KZ750. It won't hurt to do so mind you, just not sure it's necessary.
                            The electrical mounting plate on my '79 had rubber isolation grommets, so I guess Suzuki did isolate them, if indirectly. That's what causes the solenoid to stop working if the ground is lifted from the plate. I'm guessing this was vibration damping.
                            Last edited by OldVet66; 05-23-2014, 05:04 PM.
                            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                              Don't you start, too.
                              Rubber mounting was always in the plan - just finagling a reliable / simple method is the trick. The unit just got bolted to the cross-strap for wiring installation and got taken out for a ride down the village just to see how it behaved.
                              Then agin, perhaps I'll ignore the 40-odd years I spent fixing and designing electrical machines and just wing it.
                              Haha! OK, you have changed my mind. Wing it!

While my homemade bracket for mounting the 775 under the fuel tank mount works well, I decided to use the back side of the mounting plate and mount it upside down. I am using a couple of the protective boots from the old harness to cover the connections and protect them from the elements.

I showed my idea for the under-the-tank mount to a buddy and his first question was: "You are going to isolate that bracket with some sort of rubber mounts, right?" haha.
                              Last edited by Cassius086; 05-29-2014, 11:54 AM.
                              Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Working...
                              X