Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avon Road Rider Cracks

STRIKE 3.....IM OUT !!

These are the threads where you can read the saga.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Long story short ....this is the 3rd road rider on the back of my bike in three years. Each one cracked over winter storage. This last one probably the worst.

Last edited by bonanzadave; 05-26-2014, 09:00 PM.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Looks like the stock '82 "snowflake" wheels. What size tires?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

That sucks Dave. I'd be pi$$ed off! I'm crossing Avons off the recommended list.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yeah, me too. I thought they had fixed that.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Sorry to hear your still having problems with these tires. The date code on my rear is 4211 and nary a crack.The tread is just about gone. Strange happenings.

cg
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I heard it may have to do with really cold winter storage temps. Dave is in minnesota, you are in Jefferson, not so cold.

I wonder if that's it? Dave what kind of temps were your tires stored at? Stored for how long?
              Last edited by tkent02; 05-26-2014, 11:11 PM.

Comment

I got 14000kms (9600 miles) out of the last ones on my 1100 in about 5 months. No cracks. Then again I live in Canada...it's a lot colder in Minnesota.
                No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                  I got 14000kms (9600 miles) out of the last ones on my 1100 in about 5 months. No cracks. Then again I live in Canada...it's a lot colder in Minnesota.
                  Victoria, that's on that big tropical island next to Hawaii, right?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    I heard it may have to do with really cold winter storage temps. Dave is in minnesota, you are in Jefferson, not so cold.

I wonder if that's it? Dave what kind of temps were your tires stored at? Stored for how long?
                    My date code is 0611 and like Charlie's they appear to be fine. I'm to the right of Fargo but have a heated garage (rather important) so no help on the cold factor.
                    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                      My date code is 0611 and like Charlie's they appear to be fine. I'm to the right of Fargo but have a heated garage (rather important) so no help on the cold factor.
                      Huh, I wonder if that's it. My garage probably never goes below freezing, usually around 50F in there all winter, and I've had no cracks. The bikes are not actually stored idle the whole time, they get ridden every month if not every week, that may help too.

Comment

Huh, I wonder if that's it. My garage probably never goes below freezing, usually around 50F in there all winter, and I've had no cracks. The bikes are not actually stored idle the whole time, they get ridden every month if not every week, that may help too.
                        This last winter mine was idle from late Nov through April......5 fracking months. Memo to self: Ask wife again why we moved here.
                        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                          Ask wife again why we moved here.
                          From where?

Comment

From where?
                            Northern VA, 30 miles west of DC.
                            -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

Dave what kind of temps were your tires stored at? Stored for how long?
                              Huh, I wonder if that's it.
                              Its in a wood floor shed from Nov - May. On the Center stand. Tire deflated. It was below freezing for 3 straight months with lows down to -30F.

Remember....My front was bought 3 years ago with the first defective rear. Not a crack in it .
                              82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Working...
                              X