Question/concern for our Brit friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question/concern for our Brit friends

I keep up on a few British newspaper websites Leicester, Derby, Shropshire, etc, and it seems like there's a lot of reports of riders being killed on the road around the UK. Ride aware, mates!
    sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
    '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
    '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
    '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
    '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
    '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
    '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
    '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
    '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
    '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Nothing more than the usual eejits hitting the roads after a long lay-off and thinking they're on the TT. Ambition outweighing ability, as normal.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Southern Germany has the same problem with some riders using the roads like its the track.
      Sort of like the TT but with too many hills/turns to remember plus traffic & the occasional farm tractor.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
        Nothing more than the usual eejits hitting the roads after a long lay-off and thinking they're on the TT. Ambition outweighing ability, as normal.
        Ditto here in Australia. Deaths last year 12 months to November 2013 were 200 but down from 226 the previous year.

The numbers would appear small by US standards but our population is only 22 million and overall road fatalities have been reduced by at least 60% since the 60s and 70s.

Unfortunately one of those deaths was a fellow VJMC member.
        Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
        1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
        1977 GS400
        1974 Montesa 250
        1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

38 year old killed only 4 miles from here yesterday, a local to, lived about 5 miles in the other direction his name hasn't been officially released yet he would have known the roads but a 3 series BMW drove out a lane on the inside of a left hand bend doesn't matter to him who was wrong the motorcyclist came of worst.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
            Nothing more than the usual eejit. hitting the roads after a long lay-off and thinking they're on the TT. Ambition outweighing ability, as normal.
            If you lived in the uk you would know how wrong that is. The roads are packed with idiot car drivers who have no time for bikers and don't look out for them. I read about them all the time here in Devon UK. Off the top of my head the last half dozen I recall were regular guys riding to and from work as they have done for years. Sorry lost a mate a while back.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2014, 03:20 PM.

Comment

If you give the cagers any opening to get you, it is a certainty that there will be someone to seize the opportunity. There are only two types of drivers, those that are deaf, dumb and blind and will never see you, and those that see you and are trying to get you. i ride accordingly.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Devon bloke View Post
                If you lived in the uk you would know how wrong that is. The roads are packed with idiot car drivers who have no time for bikers and don't look out for them. I read about them all the time here in Devon UK. Off the top of my head the last half dozen I recall were regular guys riding to and from work as they have done for years. Sorry lost a mate a while back.
                I've lived here for 20 years, but spent the previous 40 years living and riding in the UK, and I stand by my observation that there's a peak of accidents to wallies who get back on the road in the Spring /early Summer and gas it without getting their eye back in.
                It's just life and no point getting teary-eyed about it.
                Sorry about your mate, especially if he was the victim of a dozy driver - that can happen to anyone.
                Last edited by Grimly; 11-17-2014, 08:41 AM.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                X