Black Magick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Magick

So I decided to finally post up a build thread on my 1981 GS850G That I got for $300. It was in a sorry state when I got it. Pics are from the Craiglist listing where I found it.

As you can see one of the exhaust pipes were off as the PO had stripped the threads. Thankfully he threw in the Heli-Coil kit to repair it. So I brought her home.

Once home the first order of business was the god awful luggage rack/sissy bar combo had to go as well as the windshield. Fiance like the sissy bar for her 750L so it's not a total wash. I pulled the carbs and the rest of the exhaust to do the heli-coil and to check the threads on the rest of the exhaust ports.

I ordered up a new set of OEM intake manifolds on eBay ($123 thanks to a discount voucher I had) and a set of o-rings and stainless cap screws from Robert over at www.cycleorings.com. Also got some generic 1 5/8" exhaust pipe to replace the rotten crossover pipe in the exhaust. After the carbs had spent a couple hours in the sonic cleaner, I got everything reassembled and primed her with fresh gas and she started right up. I couldn't be happier.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2014, 07:04 PM.

Excuse the turd brown paint. And rust. And rotten master cylinder cup etc etc etc etc. She's a bit ugly but I already have a set of superbike bars coming (in Black) with some new grips and bar-end mirrors. I'm not really trying to go in any particular direction with this project unless you want to call it OEM+. I plan to leave the overall look as is but I want to reshape the seat and recover it then paint and powdercoat everything within reason black. I will prolly leave the edges of the fins on the engine natural aluminum for a little contrast. Alright enough rambling more pics.

Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2014, 07:05 PM.

Comment

My current to-do list is in order:
      Valves
      Oil Change
      With oil drained inspect and replace clutch springs and possible fibers
      Grease Driveshaft splines and change rear oil
      Rebuild front and rear master cylinders including replacing the nasty resevoir on the front
      Rebuild front and rear caliper
      New brake pads front and rear
      New stainless brake lines with Dot5 brake fluid
      Replace wheel and stem bearings
      New battery, stator, and series r/r (going to use the same kit I did on the 750L from www.roadstercycle.com)
      Lastly going to run some 12 series progressive rear shocks and springs with some straight rate fork springs from Sonic as suggested by Mr Bwringer here http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...79&postcount=6 as I am gravitationally similar to him. I'll obviously be installing new fork seals as well. Trying to focus purely on the mechanical aspects first but I did the bars, mirrors, and grips up front because mine were totally and utterly shot.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2014, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Believe it or not that's in better condition than the one i found and redid last year for $200. Put about 1500 into it and sold it this year to a member here.

Comment

I have no doubt it's better than some. The newest 750L was in about the same condition minus the surface rust so I had no doubt it would be a worthwile venture but it will be a long road to get her cosmetically looking like something I'd be proud of. And vehicles that I buy are mine til they die so it's not like I'll ever be trying to make my money back out of it so if I decide to drop $4000 or whatever in it to bring it up to par then it is what it is.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2014, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Got my new superbike bars, mirrors, and grips installed. Love the way they look. The riding position will take some getting used to but it does inspire a bit more confidence in the twisties. I still need to reroute the cables to accommodate for the extra slack from lower bars.

Comment

Got a whole pile of parts coming in this week so I will be able to make some progress. New wheel bearing front and rear as well as stem bearings. Got the front and rear caliper rebuild kits and pads in as well. Waiting on the stainless brake lines as well as the front and rear master cylinder rebuild kits. Going to install banjo brake light switches while I'm in there. Also replacing the reservoir on the front. Today I got the new fork seals in and the forks filled with 15W fork oil. Also got the secondary and final drive gear oil changed.

Comment

Looking good so far. I was really happy with my purchase of the same bars. Braking, cornering, and just overall control of the bike feels great. It almost keeps you in a "ready" position while riding. I've also gone on a few two hour trips and wasn't bothered.

Comment

Looks like you're off to a good start...what a difference in looks a simple bar and mirror change makes. As long as its brown, may we call it the Brown Hornet? The brown doesn't really bother my BTW.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

This winter it'll be getting pulled apart for fresh Ford Pitch Black (same color as on the Focus in the pics) as well as some fresh powder coating (black of course) on the frame, forks, swinger, etc.

Comment

Aaah, the Dark Lord
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Lol you got it. That license plate garners a load of looks wherever I go, and there are an equal mix of dirty looks thrown in. As for the current brown I've been referring to it as the Turd interchangeably with calling it "the 850" lol. I've yet to see a pic of another one in the same color that actually looked good.
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2014, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Nice work so far. That seat doesn't look quite stock. I don't think it should have that little spoiler at the rear.
                          Dogma
                          --
                          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

All I know for sure is that it has been recovered. I despise the duck bill on the rear of the foam hence the plans to reshape it. Looking at it the whole seat seems to be off center some and I may try to find another pan and foam to build from.

Comment

Got the front MC rebuilt last night with new reservoir and painted it. Went ahead and installed it and bleeding it as you can see in pics. New brake lines will be here before long but I wanted to be able to ride in the meantime. Came out great overall. A damn sight better than it looked before at any rate.

A quick memory refresher of old reservoir.
                              Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2014, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X