No announcement yet.

Progress!!! 1978 GS1000E Restoration/Performance Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything is looking really nice. Great job.

Comment

Originally posted by philosopheriam View Post
      Back from my painter - was an issue with the glaze wax and not the clearcoat/paint. Whew! I installed the emblems today.

Fork tube brackets are at my powdercoater and will be done next week.
      Im drooling..
      I build Pipers

Comment

Anthony......your PM box is full.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
          Anthony......your PM box is full.
          Done! Sent you a response this morning!
          Cogito ergo sum - "I think, therefore I am"
          René Descartes

Comment

For all that are curious:

Rapidray built my clutch basket - essentially, it is an 1100 basket machined down to the height of a 1000 basket. Now, keep in mind that the 1100 steel plates are thicker, but smaller in diameter, whereas the 1000 steel plates are slightly thinner but larger in diameter. **The 1000 steel plates are too large in diameter to fit in the 1100 basket** To run the original number of steel plates (7, I think), you will have to purchase 1100 steelies and have them deck sanded to the thickness of the 1000 steelie, OR, you can do what I did, which is take a 1000 steelie and use a lathe to turn down the diameter to that of the 1100 steelie. I am using Fast by Gast 1100 fiber plates and x3 stock springs and x3 EBC springs for the pressure plate. The clutch pull is firm, but if I used x6 EBC springs it would require a gorilla's hand to pull. The clutch basket nut is from APE. As for the performance of the Gast fibers, some claim that they are too grabby - I can't comment on that right now, as my bike is a few steps away from being on the road for the first time! Hope this helps!
            René Descartes

Comment

UPDATE, 4-10

So, after an unexpected delay getting some parts pack from my powdercoater, I decided to get some long overdue work done yesterday.

THE BAD (insert line of expletives here). How did this slip my mind? How did I not check for appropriate petcock clearance? Apparently, I never fitted the tank to the bike with the carbs on... I'm very frustrated with myself because this is an amateurish mistake. As you can see in the photos, one of the petcock hose barbs bits the #1 carb. As for a workaround, I'm going to give Pingel a call on Monday to ask them the physical dimensions of their Guzzler series of petcocks - the different orientation of the barbs may give me enough clearance.

Potential workaround, the dual-outlet Guzzler

THE GOOD:
              Headlight brackets installed

Sufficient tank clearance at full lock - yay!

Looking nearly done!

Last edited by philosopheriam; 04-10-2017, 06:53 AM.
              René Descartes

Comment

Every time I see your bike I drool...

You may have already covered this, but do you plan on getting case emblems?
                sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

Originally posted by Sam 78 GS750 View Post
                  Every time I see your bike I drool...

You may have already covered this, but do you plan on getting case emblems?
                  Thanks Sam! Long story short, I restored my old case emblems, however, I found a guy in England that make heavy-duty vinyl reproductions of the original 1978 Suzuki emblems - I will put them on next week. They look great, and if one gets messed up, I can replace it easily.
                  René Descartes

Comment

I have to ask- will this bike ever see the road, or is it a museum piece? I love the cleanliness, but can't imagine the misery of dealing with road wear on a bike this clean.

Comment

Looks great!

Do you have the contact info for the guy from England?

Comment

Originally posted by jibledso View Post
                        Looks great!

Do you have the contact info for the guy from England?
                        René Descartes

Comment

Originally posted by StratJeff View Post
                          I have to ask- will this bike ever see the road, or is it a museum piece? I love the cleanliness, but can't imagine the misery of dealing with road wear on a bike this clean.
                          I appreciate the question - the bike will see some use on the weekends, as well as going to the occasional vintage Japanese bike show :-) However, it's not going to be a daily rider of any sort, as I sold my 2007 Yamaha FZ6 (which was my daily rider) and finally got around to working on my 1998 Ducati Monster Dark - the Duc will soon be the bike for bombing around town.

I admittedly have come to the realization that I may enjoy working on bikes a bit more than riding them - you might a call it a passion for the craft, and a genuine desire to build beautiful things.
                          René Descartes

Comment

Petcock Update!

Called Pingel this morning and a guy in the tech department was nice enough to grab a Guzzler GV111G and measure it for me - the body is only 1" wide and 1.4" tall. It will work! Ordered one today and it should be here by the end of the week.
                            René Descartes

Comment

Success

The new petcock - Pingel Guzzler, 3/8" NPT inlet and dual 5/16" outlet
                              René Descartes

Comment

Where did you get your headlight bracket? Or was that custom made?

Dang, your bike is gorgeous! What are you going to do with yourself when it's done? Ride the crap out of it hopefully! Congrats.

Comment

Working...
                                X