No announcement yet.

Building/equipping a workshop/garage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like a plan. I'll have everything sorted by then mechanically, for sure. I love road trips!

Wingsconsin, get those shims! I can help you with them if you need a hand.

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
    Next spring (spring in Wisconsin - not oHIo) we could make this ride together ...

I gotta buy some shims soon ...

Comment

Is this going to be an open house just for 850G owners, or are we all invited?
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
        Is this going to be an open house just for 850G owners, or are we all invited?
        Just for 850G owners.... Oh, and 79 1000E owners too
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

There will be pretty much an open invite.

Might have to make a full weekend of it while I'm at it. Lay out a few local routes that at least go through some interesting corn fields or something for the daytime part, cookout in the evening, wrench time, if anybody needs any, maybe a camp-style breakfast the next day and provide some interesting routes in your general direction of 'home'.

Lodging will be optional. There is space for tents in the yard. There are some special GSR 'bunks' upstairs.

Might have to raffle off the luxury accomodations upstairs.

Might even see about getting a discout rate at one of the motels down the street.

NO!! This will not turn into an organized annual event.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hahaha. All great ideas. Don't get into more than you can handle. I'd be happy to tent it. This sounds like a great time.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              The shelf does cast a bit of a shadow at the very back of the bench, but I think it will be rather tolerable. I may have some small stuff stashed at the back, there will certainly be enough light to see it.

I was just curious with that built in light how much it would block, but I suppose you have enough light elsewhere to make up for it.

And who knows maybe it would be worth the drive to the open house be nice to meet some of the people who have helped so much.

Comment

The beer fridge is installed.

It is stocked and ready for use.

... ... ... ...

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Now that's my kind of beer fridge!

Comment

I've been away for a few months. Just reread this thread. Garage looks good. The builder just broke ground on mine this week. I went 28'x36' with 9' walls. Steve, I read that you sealed the floor. I'm wondering what product you used, and if you're happy with the results?

Comment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
                      I read that you sealed the floor. I'm wondering what product you used, and if you're happy with the results?
                      When I asked for it to be sealed, they came out with a mop and a bucket and spread some liquid around. I have no idea what it was.

Am I happy with the results? Let's just say that there is no dry concrete powder that forms when I sweep the floor, so I have to assume that the 'sealer' is doing something. Yes, there has been some oil dripped/spilled in the last few months, ALL of it has left its mark.

If I were to do it again, I would probably do something considerably more robust, like epoxy, but, as you can see from this picture that was shown in post #166, three months ago, there is too much 'stuff' in there now to coat the floor properly:

I have just accepted the oil stains as part of the shop's "character". I will wipe up any spills, maybe even use some Simple Green or carb spray, if the stain looks a little worse than usual, anything that is left from that minimal effort simply deserves to stay.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Looks like a great shop, and we know the guy in it knows what he is doing!

Any consideration to expanding your service offerings?

Example:

1) Member locates a bike of interested in your neck of the woods
                        2) You inspect the bike and work out the details with buyer and seller
                        3) Bring the bike to your shop for maintenance and repairs
                        4) Greet the shipper at your garage and send the bike off to it's new owner

I'm off to Ohio CL.................Suzuki's only?

Comment

Just went through this thread. Nice build. If you haven't bought a lift I'd suggest seriously considering the Harbor Freight lift that is commonly available on sale for $300. Although I built my workshop with a specific space and 220V for a good compressor, in the end I realized that I simply wouldn't use my workshop frequently enough for a large compressor to make sense. I had planned on having 2 lift tables, so I bought a Harbor Freight table with a plan to buy a Handy or other more heavy duty table as a second table. The Harbor Freight worked so well, I ended up buying a second. Not quite as stable as Handy table but stable enough and equally important, light enough to be easy to roll around, even with a bike on it. No electrical cord, or air line required to work the table so there is nothing to trip over.

As mentioned earlier in the thread www.garagejournal.com/forum/index.php has a tremendous amount of information on building and furnishing garages.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray916MN View Post
                            WOW !! When can I stop by for a beer ?
                            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                              Looks like a great shop, and we know the guy in it knows what he is doing!

Any consideration to expanding your service offerings?

Example:

1) Member locates a bike of interested in your neck of the woods
                              2) You inspect the bike and work out the details with buyer and seller
                              3) Bring the bike to your shop for maintenance and repairs
                              4) Greet the shipper at your garage and send the bike off to it's new owner

I'm off to Ohio CL.................Suzuki's only?
                              Thanks, Rich.
                              Not a bad idea, had not thought of that. Might have to wait until I get it finished. Having some issues right now with finances to finish it up. Had a surprise at tax time with the funds that came from my mother's estate. That "surprise" took away the funds to finish the plumbing and the driveway. It's almost resolved now, but not sure we will get it done before the snow flies and the blacktop suppliers close down for the winter.

Your list sounds rather reasonable, I might even add another.
                              5. Delivery. One-day driving range, modest fee, of course.

Oh, yeah, ... Suzukis preferred.

Just went through this thread. Nice build. If you haven't bought a lift I'd suggest seriously considering the Harbor Freight lift that is commonly available on sale for $300.
                              Trust me, I am going to get a lift. I have heard very little 'bad' about the HF lift and have considered one. Might even get a second, not sure if it will be another HF or a "better" one.

Although I built my workshop with a specific space and 220V for a good compressor, in the end I realized that I simply wouldn't use my workshop frequently enough for a large compressor to make sense.
                              I was planning on a 30-gallon (or so) unit that would roll in under the stairs, but could not pass on the deal that I got. Glad I got the bigger one, it EASILY handles the blasting cabinet that is now in there, too.

As mentioned earlier in the thread www.garagejournal.com/forum/index.php has a tremendous amount of information on building and furnishing garages.
                              I am a member on that forum, too. Have not posted yet, as I know how everyone wants a proper introduction and PICTURES. I want to have my first post show the entire build sequence, and the build is not yet done.

I have checked out several of the build threads there, will have to take a look at the ones you mentioned. Thanks.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Wow, it's been over a year since I posted an update.

I guess I will have to sift through a few pictures to see what is worthy of posting, but I was doing some browsing on Google Earth and decided to take a look at my place.
                                Still doesn't show on the overhead view, but the street view was updated just three months ago.

I am rather surprised that the city has not hassled me yet about the lack of a driveway, but it's scheduled for early spring, right after the ground thaws enough.

sigpic
                                Family Portrait
                                Siblings and Spouses
                                Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                                X