No announcement yet.

Building/equipping a workshop/garage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Locate the heavy current draw items as reasonably close to the service entrance/ breaker panel if possible. That will save on material costs.
    When connecting up the air compressor, consider running black pipe along one or two walls to extend your air line rather than using a long air hose. Easier to store a 15 ft hose than a 50 ft.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Make sure your breaker box will support enough 220 Volt lines. A 220 Volt air compressor is much quieter than a 110 compressor. If you are comfortable working with it, there are lots of articles posted on the web.

Comment

Beer fridge, stripper pole.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          any kind of auto lift is out of the question.

Why not build a pit ? Makes a nice storm shelter too or Zombie apocalypse prepper bunker.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Don't know where you live, or what your neighborhood is like. Or if you don't have any neighbors close by.

You might want to think about some type of an alarm system.

I would hate to come home one night and find someone cleaned out my shop.

Plus it might give you the chance at some live target practice!!!!
            Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2014, 03:36 PM. Reason: badd grammer

Comment

The cop shop is about 1/2 mile up the road so I doubt he has much problem with that...but the tiger pit might still be a good idea
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                The cop shop is about 1/2 mile up the road so I doubt he has much problem with that.
                I would feel safer if the local Dunkin Donuts was that close!!!

Comment

Funny you say that; They just put one up a block away!

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                    The cop shop is about 1/2 mile up the road so I doubt he has much problem with that...
                    Originally posted by Wester Cooley View Post
                    I would feel safer if the local Dunkin Donuts was that close!!!
                    Originally posted by orourkei View Post
                    Funny you say that; They just put one up a block away!
                    Actually, it's a half mile to Dunkin Donuts, and the cop shop is about half-way there, but who's counting?

They say a picture is worth a thousand words:

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

For a welder i have a miller millermatic 180 autoset, really good little machine that can do everything on a old GS, a 20t shop press for under 200$ is a good investement too.
                      Last month i bougt a used cast iron 2 cylinders 60 gallons air compressor, its amazing how its way better than a little 10 gallons.
                      A engine cherry picker can be very helpfull with heavy stuff.
                      Marc
                      AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
                      1978 GS1000C X2
                      1978 GS1000E X2
                      1979 GS1000S
                      1979 gs1000
                      1983 gs400e

Comment

Remote the compressor outside the shop, maybe it's own shelter as well. It will be a hell of a lot quieter when it kicks in, and a compressor in a heated shop will not last nearly as long. Something about the moisture properties. Mine is under an overhang, and has ticked along nicely for ten years now, needing only a belt. I drain the moisture out of the tank twice a year, and there is almost nothing since it's been outside. I got quite a bit when it was in the heated area.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          The muffin warmer will, of course, be on the "clean" bench.

The PA, mics and amps can be set up along the back wall, but the drums are relegated to YOUR garage.

We had the drums in MY garage for a while, stable footing was problematic for them. Yours looks like it will do quite nicely.
                          "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

If it has not been mentioned yet, build a separate small room OUTSIDE of the garage to house the air compressor.
                            Not only will it free up more room, it will also be MUCH quieter in its own insulated shack.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
                              Remote the compressor outside the shop, maybe it's own shelter as well. It will be a hell of a lot quieter when it kicks in, ...
                              Take a look at my location in post #39, you will see why that idea won't work too well, even if zoning regulations would allow it.

The neighbors are not quite close enough to spit on, but they are definitely within earshot.

If it becomes a problem, I might put some sound-absorbing material around it, but it will remain INSIDE.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It won't bother your neighbors unless it's the nasty oil less type. The noise dissipates quickly outdoors. But it would be loud to you INSIDE the walls. Make sure there is a wall between you and the compressor. Build it a dedicated doghouse if you worry about the neighbors. If it's in your shop area you will be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X