popping while accelerating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

popping while accelerating

82 1100G 34 cv just rebuilt . now it popping or backfires while accelerating ,but after RPMs get up some runs fine so far , any thoughts ??

Lean on the needle circuit.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

might be lean on the pilot as well as the needle depending on the throttle position

Comment

throttle positions as soon as you start to raise the RPMs, after that it runs hard,

stock motor ,with pods, 4 in to 1 exhaust,

Comment

Put a bigger pilot jet in there. What size is in there now? Raise the needle if it hesitates on a roll on like when your going 55 mph and try to pass someone.
          Last edited by stetracer; 09-21-2014, 11:47 AM.
          My stable
          84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
          85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
          88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
          98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
          90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
          06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
          00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Ha, I misread the title to this post, thought it said, pooping while accelerating. Was saying to myself, dang that is one hell'va hard accelerating bike to make one poop! LMAO.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

it poops as soon as you try to come off idle , jets are 127.5, are jet is 170, pilot jet are stock ill have to check and see what there are .

Comment

richen up the pilot mixture screws about a 1/4 turn and see if that is better chances are you can get it to go away with a little tuning and if really needed you may need to increase the pilot jets 1 size and then tune

Comment

ok now worse then ever , I put a DJ kit in as it saids to and now will hard start ,if starts will only run with chock pulled out ,

Comment

Starting and a DJ kit have nothing to do with each other. Something else is wrong.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

ok still dont run, after i installed the DJ kit, before the kit it started right up ,idled fine , but popped when you went to raise the rpms ,after that run good , now bike will not start,even with chock pulled out , since the install i have takeing the carb apart 2 more times looking and checking ,

bike is a 82-1100g , 34cv carbs, main jets ,DJ138s , pilots are 40s, air jets .DJ160, air/fuel screw is 2 turns out ,
                      can any one tell me what i did wrong or right lol .,?? and what i should do to get bike running , ask me if you need to know something i have not told!!

Bill B

Comment

Know one has any thoughts or input on this ????????????

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdhd View Post
                          ok still dont run, after i installed the DJ kit, before the kit it started right up ,idled fine , but popped when you went to raise the rpms ,after that run good , now bike will not start,even with chock pulled out , since the install i have takeing the carb apart 2 more times looking and checking ,

bike is a 82-1100g , 34cv carbs, main jets ,DJ138s , pilots are 40s, air jets .DJ160, air/fuel screw is 2 turns out ,
                          can any one tell me what i did wrong or right lol .,?? and what i should do to get bike running , ask me if you need to know something i have not told!!

Bill B
                          Have you checked your rubber carb boots and orings for air leaks?
                          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

With the 138 DJ main you installed a sixteen valve kit in to an eight valve motor.
                            Get the correct DJ kit and it probably will run right.
                            Sixteen valve DJ kit 3133
                            Eight valve kit 3103
                            Bill

Comment

You probably do NOT need a jet kit if the rest is all stock. Usually, just the next size larger pilot, adjust fuel screw from 2-4 turns out. And maybe, raise the stock needle half a millimeter. Sometimes raising the float level a little helps. And are the pilot jet plugs still in or lost?
                              G
                              sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                              2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                              Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                              '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

Working...
                              X