No announcement yet.

1980 gs850glt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I must say that old gasket was a PITA to get off.
    Need to get some new half moons but got it all back together this weekend and fired her up for the first time WOO HOO!!
    Still some issues to sort thru but just hearing it run is a milestone for me.
    Still on the to do list are:
    Get the electrics sorted, PO kinda hacked it up and turn signals were not working. Clean contacts and grounds.
    Check brakes and master cylinders, lines look new and seem to be in good shape and brake pads are new front and back supposedly but need to check for myself.
    Tires, front appears to be new but need to check the date codes. Will most likely replace with new.
    Go thru the stator tests, getting approx 12.8 volts at the battery at about 3-4k rpm but need to clean all contacts and go thru the tests.

Comment

Well past time for an update.
      I have mostly sorted the turn signal issues and have them all working.
      There must be something shorting in the rats nest that is the headlight bucket because the fuse keeps popping on me.

The front tire is new and the date code is only a few years old but the rear needs replacing.
      Had some oil seepage from the front fork seals so decided to get that done.
      After taking the front end apart, I am glad my decision to ride it for the last bit of the riding season did not end badly.
      This is all the oil that was left in the forks, almost none.

Those seals were a bitch to get out.
      Of course since I had them all apart I decided now was the time to make them shiny, so have been working them for a few weeks now in my spare time.
      Lots of work into them here are some pics of my work in progress.

I have everything I need to put it all back together, just need to get them looking nice, tho to be honest the pictures really do not do justice to the way they are sitting now.
      I have hand sanded and filed all of the rough casting marks and smoothed them in preparation for the buffing wheel.
      Last edited by Guest; 12-22-2014, 11:31 PM.

Comment

I might have an airbox and possibly a snorkel for an 81/82 850. When I was re building my 81 850L I bought several boxes of parts from someone that had dismantled a bike. They came in real handy at the time. You can PM me and you can have them for the cost of shipping. Other than that, if there is a MC scrapyard near you, it might be worth checking out.

Comment

That snorkel seemed to have made a considerable difference on my 850 in crosswind situations. Try to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by Phred View Post
            I might have an airbox and possibly a snorkel for an 81/82 850....You can PM me and you can have them for the cost of shipping.
            Phred, if ZenShenron doesn't need the airbox, I might. Obviously he has dibs, but I may need it if not. When tearing down my 81 850 last night I noticed the airbox side boots are in pretty bad shape and will need replacing. The filter was also completely disintegrated.

I'll PM you as well.
            ----------------------------------------------------------------
            2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

I finished one of my fork legs, just need to address some pitting on the other stanchion.

I am just looking for a snorkle, so if mikerophone needs it by all means feel free.
              I do appreciate the offer thank you Phred.
              Just one of those little things that I will eventually get sorted.

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
              Phred, if ZenShenron doesn't need the airbox, I might. Obviously he has dibs, but I may need it if not. When tearing down my 81 850 last night I noticed the airbox side boots are in pretty bad shape and will need replacing. The filter was also completely disintegrated.

I'll PM you as well.

Comment

Before you put the airbox back in, inspect the breather tube on the top of the box, and where it goes into the airbox is a pressed metal welded inside. Run a stiff wire down this u shaped gallery, mine was full of gunk and needed a few sessions to get the crap out, constantly blowing it out with a compressor. And try not to disturb the soft caulking material on the joins inside, they help seal the joints.

Comment

Both Fork legs fully assembled and ready to go back on the bike.
                  I did a thorough cleaning of the airbox before I repainted it, and there was a little gunk in there thanks.
                  Next on the list is to find the short that keeps blowing my fuses.

Comment

Working...
                  X