GS1000 fork air pressure spec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 fork air pressure spec

The front end of the 79 GS1000N is disassembled for inspection, cleaning and servicing. There is a discrepancy between the info on the warning decal on the left lower fork tube and the service manual.

The manual states it should be 11.4 psi (0.8 kg/cm2). The Suzuki decal states the fork air pressure should be 35 psi (2.5 kg/cm2).

Are these forks not original?

1979 GS1000
    1981 GL500 Interstate

standard pressure is 11psi, Maximum pressure is 35psi.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

35psi is 'do not exceed'.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I am so fortunate to be able to rub shoulders with some smart guys. Thanks!
        1979 GS1000
        1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

I use around 10 and do it with a bicycle shock pump.......
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

The correct air pressure is none (technically, atmospheric, or no added air pressure if you want to be pedantic).

Install upgraded fork springs (I use and highly recommend Sonic Springs), set the correct preload, and use no added air pressure.

Air pressure is an unreliable bodge; a shameful band-aid for the low-rent weak-suck fork springs the factory installed for mysterious reasons.
            Last edited by bwringer; 12-02-2014, 07:33 AM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I agree with the use of proper springs and no additional air.

One of my bikes has Sonic springs, the rest of them use Progressive springs.

The best price on Sonic is from Sonic. Owner Rich Desmond is a member here.

The best price on Progressive is from Z1 Enterprises. Owner Jeff Saunders is a member here.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Good supplemental info guys. Did not know that. This $500. and a $1000. budget project (about $1300 USD) will have to use the stock springs until I know what I have next summer. Info noted in the shop log. Thanks.
                1979 GS1000
                1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

Originally posted by DaveR View Post
                  Good supplemental info guys. Did not know that. This $500. and a $1000. budget project (about $1300 USD) will have to use the stock springs until I know what I have next summer. Info noted in the shop log. Thanks.
                  Since you have to use your stock springs for now, you could up the fork oil weight to a 20 or even a 30 w fork oil.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Heavier fork oil does NOT help hold up the front of the bike. It only keeps the response down, making for a VERY stiff ride.
                    Not stiff as in "heavy-duty springs", but stiff as in non-compliant with road irregularities.

A better approach would be to measure the "sag" of your front suspension. Get a helper. Put the bike on the centerstand, measure the distance from the top of the lower fork tube to the bottom of the lower triple clamp. Take the bike off the stand, get on it. Bounce the front end a couple of times to settle the suspension, have your helper measure the distance from the top of the lower fork tube to the bottom of the lower triple. Ideally, the "sag" is 20-25% of the total travel. Most of our bikes only have about four inches of travel, so you are looking for 3/4 to 1" of sag. If you have more than that, pull the tops off the fork tubes (block up the front of the engine so the front of the bike does not crash), remove the tops of the forks. Pull out the spacers, measure them. Make new spacers of PVC tubing that are a bit longer. Add the amount to the spacers that you want to raise the forks. If your sag was 2" (1" more than desired), add 1" to the spacer. Put it all back together, install the proper amount of 10w or 15w fork oil (depending on your weight and riding style), repeat for the other tube.

Even better, pull your stock springs out. You will see that they are either a two-piece setup or progressively-wound. If they are two-piece, Just remove the smaller, lighter section. Make your new spacer the length of the stock spacer + the length of the lighter spring + the amount of sag you want to remove.

If your springs are progressively-wound, cut off most of the tightly-wound end, make sure to cut off the same amount off each spring. Make your new spacers the length of the stock spacer + the length of the spring you cut off + the amount of sag you want to remove.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X