Road tools for bike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
    Add in some disposable vinyl gloves so you don't but mucky fingers in your riding gloves.
    Good one.
    Takes very little space.
    I keep some in the shop but haven't thought about on the bike.

I also keep a small ziplock with a few folded paper towels very damp with alcohol or Windex.
    Great for cleaning your visor and glasses.

Comment

Yeah it was on a repeat of Motorcycle Experience up here on TSN.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
        . I havent yet fully embraced the headlamp. Especially not when working in offices that may contain attractive types.......
        A Zebralight might lure you over to the bright side. The ladies might find them cute. Or an Ultrafire H2.

I carry the H6, for times when I want to strap a lithium ion 18650 battery to my own forehead.
        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
        __________________________________________________ ______________________
        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Without packing a genuine vice-grip, you are doomed! Get a 5 inch size, this can do a variety of gripping tasks including acting as gear lever or hand lever after that wipeout. Please no Chinese versions!
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
            A Zebralight might lure you over to the bright side. The ladies might find them cute. Or an Ultrafire H2.

I carry the H6, for times when I want to strap a lithium ion 18650 battery to my own forehead.
            Ill have to check it out......problem is that it shines where one is looking. Usually good. Not always good.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Without packing a genuine vice-grip, you are doomed! Get a 5 inch size, this can do a variety of gripping tasks including acting as gear lever or hand lever after that wipeout. Please no Chinese versions!
              Sorry, Irwin Vice-Grips have been made in China out of the softest Chinesium for several years now, and they're complete junk compared to the old US-made ones. If you can't find an old US-made pair, "Grip-On" is making some pretty decent locking pliers in Spain.

Or, to look at it another way, a crappy Chinese pair of locking pliers is probably fine for your road tools, but at least get them cheap -- don't pay Irwin's prices.

One thing I would add to the list is a small assortment of metric bolts and nuts. I've saved the day many a time with a spare 6mm or 8mm bolt.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I like the OEM tool kit, plus a 1/4" drive ratchet and a bunch of sockets and extensions. Allen wrench multi tool, plus an american allen wrench for the Samsonite. Cheap multi meter. A roll of wire and some connectors. very important is tie wire and some pliers. A few extra bungees.

A piece of PVC pipe with caps is a good tool box for me.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                  I like the OEM tool kit, plus a 1/4" drive ratchet and a bunch of sockets and extensions. Allen wrench multi tool, plus an american allen wrench for the Samsonite. Cheap multi meter. A roll of wire and some connectors. very important is tie wire and some pliers. A few extra bungees.

A piece of PVC pipe with caps is a good tool box for me.
                  Like it!
                  Like the tool box idea also.

Comment

How often are you guys planning to break down
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous
                    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Been pretty lucky in that department and nothing I was not able to handle with what I had on hand.
                      Live in a very rural area and prefer my riding where the less people on the road the better.
                      The less chance to inconvenience a friend with a truck ride or pay for a flatbed tow when close or far from home, the better.
                      Ideas that get me back running if/when something does fail with little hassle because I am prepared?

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                        How often are you guys planning to break down
                        We don't ever plan to break down, it just happens. We do plan to be prepared though. Remember the size of the states we live in over here. Some of my day rides can be 300+ miles. Long walk.
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I bundle this up and stick it in the tail hump.
                          ---- Dave
                          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                            I bundle this up and stick it in the tail hump.
                            You must have one hell of a tail hump...not gonna touch that lol.
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Well-Prepared

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                              We don't ever plan to break down, it just happens. We do plan to be prepared though. Remember the size of the states we live in over here. Some of my day rides can be 300+ miles. Long walk.
                              You are definitely prepared Bill...from what I remember on our 250+ mile ride to Gila Forest.

Ed
                              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                                You are definitely prepared Bill...from what I remember on our 250+ mile ride to Gila Forest.

Ed
                                Yeah that was a fun ride !
                                2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Working...
                                X