Press capacity for cranks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Press capacity for cranks

Can anyone advice on a good capacity for a workshop press, it needs to be able to handle cranks.
    I'm looking at 30 ton at the minute, does that sound about right?
    Thanks

More than adequate. Last time I saw a pressure gauge used when pressing a single cylinder crank apart, it moved at around 3 ton.

Comment

Cheers Greg. I remember a friend telling me his 25 ton was at the limit taking a GS welded crank apart. But thats the only info i had to go on, hence i was aiming at a 30 ton.

Comment

i have seen(heard) 1" thick plates that the cranks hang on while being pressed a part break in half and make a god awe full explosion.
        scared the hell out of me!
        that may be your weak point on multi cylinder crank pressing.
        i think this may have been a super crank in for repairs with really deep welds.

Comment

Welded cranks should always have as much of the weld ground out as possible before trying to press them apart....

FWIW hard experience says that anything above a 5 ton cold press interference fit risks splitting the crankweb.

Comment

twas ground below surface...maybe just a bad day

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
              i have seen(heard) 1" thick plates that the cranks hang on while being pressed a part break in half and make a god awe full explosion.
              scared the hell out of me!
              that may be your weak point on multi cylinder crank pressing.
              i think this may have been a super crank in for repairs with really deep welds.

That happened with my press, it was the ridicules 1" plate that was cast which came as a pair with the unit, absolutely naff, dangerous as hell and made me jump out'v my skin. Mild steel will is the way to go.
              sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Sorry no link, but I've read some threads over at one of the Yamaha XS650 sites where guys have done their own cranks. A quick google search turns up lots of hits so you may want to search around. At any rate, one of the guys says he's using 50 tons because the rod throws can be a biotch.

I did some minor straightening on my GS1000 crank. It was kind of fun but doing a full crank seems pretty complicated. Please post some photos of the process. Would love to learn how you go about rebuilding a GS crank.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

key tool:
                  :::::::big brass hammer:::::

Comment

Thanks for the info folks, i too have read all the stuff - especially the XS650 stuff (seems like those folks have more crank issues than most!) on the net. I found some great step by step stuff for KZ cranks which are pretty similar ..... starts halfway down http://z1ownersclub.co.uk/forum/view...b5e944cb1f91a4 and there are some videos on youtube but most are for 2 stroke singles.
                    30 Ton sounds like it should do it then.
                    Next question, anyone have a nice press design thats just for bike stuff, i don't have room for and don't require a full size press. So something compact?

Comment

Get 50 TonPrincess auto. Mine has been working great for about 5 years Mike

Comment

I had my GS 1100 G crank opened with a 30 ton press.
                        The guy told me that he got close to it's maximum capacity.
                        sigpicJohn Kat
                        My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                        GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

That KZ1000 is total drool material.
                          NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                          Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Big Hammers!! Yup If you can a solid Huge Copper Head seems to work for me better than a Plastic dead blow type. Surprising the difference it makes. I imagine a solid Lead hammer would be nice also,..!! Mike

Comment

Working...
                            X