replacement shock absorber for the GS 1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacement shock absorber for the GS 1150

I have run into a problem on the restoration project I am doing on a 85 GS 1150E. When I bought the bike last month the first problem I found was the rear shock is shot. I bought another stock used shock off ebay and it was in no better shape than the original. I should have asked here first but I sent the original off to Jamie Daugherty in FT Wayne Indiana to see if it could be rebuilt. Turns out it cannot be rebuilt so now I am looking for a new replacement shock. I have not found any shock mfg. that lists a replacement for the Suzuki GS 1150. Another member who I purchased a set of stock pipes from suggested using a Ducati M900 shock which will fit. I contacted EPM Performance the US distributor for Hyperpro and am sending the stock shock to them to see if they can match it up with a suitable replacement. The hyperpro 460 shock with rebound dampening should do the job quite well if they can match up the spring rate and dimensions. Any other suggestions in new replacement shocks for this bike???

The M900 shock is the best budget ticket. Hagon or Ohlins (I think) still offer shocks if you have $800+ to ante up.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

I have a Ohlins shock in my 84 not sure if the still make them for the 1150 though. It will be pricy if the do.
      My stable
      84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
      85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
      88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
      98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
      90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
      06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
      00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Works Performance still makes a shock for the 1150.

Comment

Thanks guys I had done a search on one works site for products available for the GS 1150 and the only thing that came up was the fork springs. I will call Works tomorrow to see exactly what is available. I am still going to send the stock shock to EPM to see if they can match a Hyperpro 460 to the application. The aluminum body Hyperpro 460 has infinite preload adj. (threaded preload collar) and near infinite rebound dampening (50 steps) and has a lower list price than listed for the steel body works emulsion shock.
          Last edited by Guest; 12-30-2014, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Works has the Durasport with and without remote reservoir for the 1150. The one without remote is $649 and with remote $799. They have yhe Ultrasport listed for $999. You have to look way down the application list on page 10 to find the 1150 applications.

Comment

400 to 600 $ @ Hagon.......http://www.hagonshocksusa.com/HagShocksPr.htm "M63087 is the correct shock"
              I know they make one for the 1150, because I bought one for mine
              The only ones I could find were Hagon and Works, I bought the cheaper of the two.
              I paid around 650 canadian dollars shipped from UK, for a spring and shock with adjustable damping and remote preload adjustment. Works wanted $1000 + shipping for the same sort of thing.
              It was money well spent.

the gs1150e is listed under its European designation as a GSX1100E / EF , sold from 1985 to1988 the shock fits my 1984 Canadian 1150EF,
              Last edited by derwood; 01-06-2015, 09:54 PM.
              GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Thanks guys for the help. I now have some options. The stock shock is on the way to EPM in New Jersey to see if they can come up with a match from Hyperpro. We know the M900 shock will fit it, it is just a matter of Klaus adapting the spring & rebound dampening rate for the heavier 1150 or finding another application of the Hyperpro 460 shock closer to the heavier 1150. I gave EPM all the information requested on the 1150 they said would be helpful in setting a 460 series up correctly for the application. They will measure the stock spring rate off my shock as a starting point.

Since I am not modifying or racing my 1150 a good quality emulsion shock with spring pre load and rebound dampening is all I need. Remote adjusters would be nice but not necessary. If they come up with a good replacement they can then make a standard part # we will all have one more choice at a reasonable price. I should know something by mid to late January. Meantime I have plenty of other work to do on the bike.
                Last edited by Guest; 01-04-2015, 10:31 PM.

Comment

There are some threads here about the spring rate on the M900 shock. It is far stiffer than you think when installed in the GS.
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

M900 fits but you may have to use the stock spring with it... Also very difficult to adjust once fitted,.
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I used the M900 spring, to good effect so far. Dead right about it being hard to adjust, so get it right and leave it be.
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

I got confirmation from British Cycle Supply (Hagon dist. in Nova Scotia) that the correct Hagon part # for the GS 1150 is M63087. The 1150 shock is the same as the one listed for the 1985-1988 GSX1100 EF/EG/EFE. It is an order item but still available with or without remote pre-load adjustment. I have not heard anything from EPM Performance Imports (Klaus Huenecke) about a Hyperpro replacement shock.

Originally posted by derwood View Post
                        400 to 600 $ @ Hagon.......http://www.hagonshocksusa.com/HagShocksPr.htm "M63087 is the correct shock"
                        I know they make one for the 1150, because I bought one for mine
                        The only ones I could find were Hagon and Works, I bought the cheaper of the two.
                        I paid around 650 canadian dollars shipped from UK, for a spring and shock with adjustable damping and remote preload adjustment. Works wanted $1000 + shipping for the same sort of thing.
                        It was money well spent.

the gs1150e is listed under its European designation as a GSX1100E / EF , sold from 1985 to1988 the shock fits my 1984 Canadian 1150EF,

Comment

Holy smokes.....I just looked ip EPM Performance Imports....Theyre literally 5 minutes from my house

Edit 15 minutes....
                          Last edited by dorkburger; 01-09-2015, 09:40 PM.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks for everyone who replied especially derwood. I ordered a Hagon shock from britcycle today. EPM still has my stock shock but I have not heard anything back from them. I hope they come up with another alternative for GS 1150 owners but I have to move on with this project.

Comment

The Hagon replacement shock arrived this week. Dimensionally everything matches and it is about 2/3 the weight of the stock steel shock. Hagon doesn't list a replacement shock for the GS 1150. The GSX100F,GFF,FG 1985 THRU 1988 sold outside North America uses the same Hagon shock which is a M# M63087. Hopefully Hagon will correct their shock listings to include the GS 1150.

Comment

Working...
                              X