No announcement yet.

HF Utility Trailer For My "T" GS750TZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the good heavy duty styled constructed ones at the boat marina back home. Heavier gauge metal and the grease fitting seemed to be anchored into better threads. What got my attention was I went to grease them and one of the fittings was actually gone....fell right out. Thus the upgrade.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You dont need my or anyone elses seal of approval. Youve ran it 2,000 miles and know shes a reliable and stable rig!!!
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I'm a bit late to the party but I also bought a folding trailer this summer. I haven't moved the bike with it yet, but I did carry a couple of large pieces of furniture from Sherbrooke to Toronto with no issues at all.

The wooden stakes and the front and back rails were made with found lumber. The 2x4s were in the shed and the 1x6 pieces were found on the beach. I will do better next year. I installed eight recessed anchors with one bolt through the trailer frame and the other bolt through the plywood deck with a fender washer and locknut under the deck.

I did not install the two rails with the casters. I bought some large wingnuts so I can attach the caster rails only when I want to fold the trailer. The only minor complaint is that I had to remove the deck from one half of the trailer to fold the trailer. When folded, the trailer is a bit tall for my garage door so I also had to remove the angled pieces that support the tongue. I think I might be able to push the trailer into the garage and fold it so the angled pieces stick up between the rafters.

Jim
        1981 GS550T (Long gone)
        1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

Comment

Got It!

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          You dont need my or anyone elses seal of approval. Youve ran it 2,000 miles and know shes a reliable and stable rig!!!
          I kinda figured that, Chuck...I just wanted to add some conversation and get you guys involved. It worked on you and Steve and Dogma started responding first. Then of course, everyone else joined.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Just wish it was like an 8 X 10 bed and a heavy axle to haul 2 bikes. I am currently looking for an old 16 ft aluminum boat trailer to modify for a 2 place trailer. Guy a few miles away from me has one with the boat sitting on it. Was thinking hit him and see what he wants..then scrap the boat for some recoupment.

I dont want the boat and Im pretty sure hes not gonna just sell the trailer.

Comment

Well Chuck, it is a tight fit but it will haul two bikes no problem, as friend Gatekeeper will tell you. His 2 FZ750s came home, at speed on the highway, with no issues. I have hauled everything from mini bikes to a V-Star 1300 with it and not one hiccup.

I have had mine for 5 years now and while looking pretty beat up and overdue for a re-paint, she has provided sterling service. I would not hesitate to recommend these little beauties for bike hauling.

I must admit that while I liked the idea of having a folder to put away when not in use, I have never used that feature. I still think the concept is good but the trailer gets so much usage from myself, son, neighbours and buddies that we just park her in the driveway, ready to go. In fact there she is peaking out of the corner in my avatar.

You can't go wrong with this cheap and cheerful little hauler.

Comment

Thank You

I appreciate all the feedback on this thread. Again, Charles (eil) had asked me for information to include pics and suggested starting a thread...maybe I threw that out there as an option. In any case, Charles can take pics as he assembles his trailer when he buys it!

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Thanks again for the info, Ed!

I'll certainly follow up when I get around to buying mine.
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I have the same trailer, Ed has seen it, I went with 6 ply tires, switch the axle to the top of the springs dropping the trailer lower (yes, I had to remount the fenders, drill a couple new holes and yer done) and welded all the pivot points. Installed a heavier hitch, braced the A arm, added rails along the side and front, a tool box, spare tire holder and installed new wheel bearings and races. Lowering the trailer made it easier for a single person to load a bike now. Oh yeah and built this monster of a loading ramp. It won't bend, we tested it with 1,000 lbs on it lol.
                    Last edited by mrbill5491; 01-07-2015, 02:31 PM.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Lowrider

^^Hey Bill,

I remember you mentioning about lowering the height of the base of the trailer. It requires 2 people to load my bike and definitely 2 to unload. I tried unloading on my own and that was a mistake.

There's another project that would make life easier that I'm putting on back-burner. For now, my trailer will stay as is.

Bill, let me know the best time to call you. We need to catch up!

Ed
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                        I have the same trailer, Ed has seen it, I went with 6 ply tires, switch the axle to the top of the springs dropping the trailer lower (yes, I had to remount the fenders, drill a couple new holes and yer done) and welded all the pivot points. Installed a heavier hitch, braced the A arm, added rails along the side and front, a tool box, spare tire holder and installed new wheel bearings and races. Lowering the trailer made it easier for a single person to load a bike now. Oh yeah and built this monster of a loading ramp. It won't bend, we tested it with 1,000 lbs on it lol.

Sounds like worthwhile mods; can you add a few photos of the mods? Something to show the effect on ground clearance would be nice as well.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                          ^^Hey Bill,

I remember you mentioning about lowering the height of the base of the trailer. It requires 2 people to load my bike and definitely 2 to unload. I tried unloading on my own and that was a mistake.

There's another project that would make life easier that I'm putting on back-burner. For now, my trailer will stay as is.

Bill, let me know the best time to call you. We need to catch up!

Ed
                          Any time after 6pm Ed. And if a lady answers, that is Lucy. Say Howdy and introduce yourself to her. I've already filled her in about you heheheh.
                          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Razz!!!

Alright Bill,

I'll keep that in mind when I call you.

Ed
                            Last edited by GSXR7ED; 01-10-2015, 05:14 AM.
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Finally! Last night, I moved the axle to the top of the springs. I'll provide pics soon.

Now, to put the plywood, motorcycle wheel chock and license plate (and new brakes lights sent by manufacturer for recall). Then I can load my bike and take it to the shop for frame welding on the seat area.

Ed
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Lower the Trailer

A couple of pics. I had to remove the fenders but this will work for the time being.

Unfolded an axle below the spring.

Dropped it 6 inches lower.

Preparing Trailer to transport my "T" for welding job.

Ed
                                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X